Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dyne

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Good morning everyone. :)

Since so many people are curious how the new iMac 27 performs in the gaming arena, I thought I would do my best to provide you with a few gaming benchmarks throughout the afternoon. It's going to take me a bit to download everything, but I'll at least note what I'm going to test below, and fill them in as I go. All tests will be conducted at maximum settings in max resolution, no AA on since it's pointless at such a high resolution. Also, these are all done under the default, non-overclocked video drivers, though I intend to overclock the hell out of this thing, since I'm fairly confident I can easily OC this to 5870m speeds without generating much more heat at all. :)

The system is an i5 27' with the ATI Radeon Mobility 5850 (or the ATI Radeon 5750, herpa derp) and eight gigs of RAM.

OSX:

World of Warcraft - Don't know yet. Going to take me a while to redownload this.

Torchlight - 60 FPS at all times unless there's a lot of effects going on, then it drops two or three.

Windows 7:

3dMark Vantage - This seems to be one of the most asked for benchmarks. :) With everything on default settings (the low test basically), I scored a 7307 which is roughly 2100 more points than my 2009 iMac i7. Definitely an improvement over my quad core PC with a 9800 GTX! Later I'll run it on max settings if there's enough interest.

StarCraft II - Another one that's mentioned a lot. :) I cannot believe how well it runs on the 27' maxed out across the board, always hovering in the 30-40 FPS range and never dipping low. I believe this game could use some updated drivers for Boot Camp, however, as there is very, very slight input delay at the high resolution that newer drivers may be able to resolve.

Left 4 Dead 2 - Will find out later.

Torchlight - Never dips below 60 FPS.

Crysis - Such a boring game, but I'll get some benchmark results hopefully later on. :)

If you have any requests at all, please let me know, and I'll do my best to benchmark them for you, provided I own a copy of the game.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
when u say starcraft 2 maxed out, does that mean ultra or high.

and 30-40 fps is that idle or massive combat

would be great if you uploaded some pictures with the fps

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
World of Warcraft at 2560x1440 Ultra 4X Multisampling
Narache Village -- Warrior runs from totem to big tree on hill and back
Used Titan Performance Addon to measure min/max/avg FPS

iMac Core i7 2009 = 43 fps avg
iMac Core i7 2010 = 52 fps avg
Mac Pro Nehalem w/ R4870 = 62 fps avg

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Would also be great for people who give benchmarks to write what OS they are in, and settings, and pictures is always welcome.

Zelnaga

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
Rather know how the 21.5 fares than 27. If anyone can benchmark them on the new 21.5 high end iMac thatd be appreciated.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Ah!

World of Warcraft at 2560x1440 Ultra 4X Multisampling
Narache Village -- Warrior runs from totem to big tree on hill and back
Used Titan Performance Addon to measure min/max/avg FPS

iMac Core i7 2009 = 43 fps avg
iMac Core i7 2010 = 52 fps avg
Mac Pro Nehalem w/ R4870 = 62 fps avg

Very nice. Thanks for the rundown on the 3 machines!

Dyne

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
henri - Ultra. It's around 42 fps idle, goes down to around 31-33 during large combat. I'd have to test a 4v4 to get an idea of HUGE combat, but so far, still impressive.

barefeats, thank you so much for the WoW benchmarks! :)

Sure, I'll run Geekbench if you'd really like to, but there are threads around here showing the new score, and I don't think I'll be able to get around to it today. We shall see!

Dyne

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Would also be great for people who give benchmarks to write what OS they are in, and settings, and pictures is always welcome.

I'm far too lazy for pictures, but I already noted in the OP that everything will be in max settings, and I have everything differentiated between OSX and Windows 7. :)

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Wow impressed if the new 5750 can pull of 30-40 fps on ultra in starcraft 2. Damn. Considering this is stock speed its just great. Its got even more potential.

Glad you share your benchmarks with us

Seems the difference between the old 2009 imac and the new one is bigger then i thought

thehalokid

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
Dyne!

it looks pretty good so far, i cant wait to get mine their so slow to arrive:(
anyways itll be interesting to compare the fps after youve overclocked, I
reckon itll be very respectfull. Please keep us updated! thanks

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Wow impressed if the new 5750 can pull of 30-40 fps on ultra in starcraft 2. Damn. Considering this is stock speed its just great. Its got even more potential.

Glad you share your benchmarks with us

Seems the difference between the old 2009 imac and the new one is bigger then i thought

What do you mean stock speed? It's not like you can get a better GPU in the i7?

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Ye, seems the 5750 can easily got 700mhz over the default 625mhz for even better results.

Dyne

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
henri, I'll test out StarCraft II some more for you later tonight, but so far, yes, REALLY impressed with the FPS with such a high resolution with everything maxed out. :)

As far as Team Fortress 2 goes... I'm sorry, I don't own it, or I'd be more than happy to test it out for you.

World of Warcraft on OSX is... very interesting. When a lot of effects are going on, it seems to chug on frames, sometimes dipping into the teens, but the problem is not replicated when running it in Windows 7. On the opposite side of the coin though, you can hang on in Dalaran with hundreds of other people around, and you'll be sailing at 57-63 frames per second.

jpjandrade

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2010
Thank you very much for this topic, really informative and useful (btw, thanks to barefeats for its site, also extremely useful).

My personal request would be more demanding games: Dragon Age: Origins, Napoleon: Total War (or Empire: Total War, almost same thing) and Batman: Arkham Asylum, run at native resolution. If any of you have one of these games would be great! Also waiting on the L4D one!

Again, thanks!

Dwhite78

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
World of Warcraft on OSX is... very interesting. When a lot of effects are going on, it seems to chug on frames, sometimes dipping into the teens, but the problem is not replicated when running it in Windows 7. On the opposite side of the coin though, you can hang on in Dalaran with hundreds of other people around, and you'll be sailing at 57-63 frames per second.

Dyne, a blue poster told me to drop shader quality down to midway. I did this and can now run full max settings w/no slowdown.

I've not done a 25m raid with it yet as I just got them today. Should no more after sunday night. But we remain hopeful!

thehalokid

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
:Barefeats & Dyne!

thanks for the numbers!:)

looks like it wasnt a bad gpu update afterall, also with good potential for overclocking.

Barefeats- I know its early days but at a later date will you be running any numbers while overclocking?

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
Great, thanks for the benchmarks!

I was heretofore unaware of titan performance addon!

Do you mean under bootcamp?

BTW, I was running SmallLuxGPU OpenCL benchmarks. It is reporting a core speed of 628MHz for the HD 5750.

BulletToothTony

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Here's what I have so far....

3D SHOOTOUT: 'mid 2010' iMac Core i7 versus 'late 2009' iMac Core i7 versus Mac Pro Nehalem with Radeon HD 4870:

http://barefeats.com/imac10g.html

Includes ETQW, WoW, Bioshock, X-Plane, and Portal.

hey barefeats..

i appreciate what you did.. it's great help.. i sold my 27" imac C2D and bought the 27" refurb i7 2.8... when i played COD4 on it (C2D 3.02ghz), it would lag when i went native and all high but ran smooth when i brought down to 1080p, i know that it's a personal preference but do you think that bringing the resolution lower would bring the quality of the image too low?

I didn't see a big difference but i don't have a trained eye.. because i think that if i ran most of those games with a 1080p resolution i "may" get closer to the 5750 fps.. sorry if it's a silly question.. i just want to make sure that i'll be able to play some games without regretting not buying the newest i7.

i would LOVE to see a comparison of at least a couple of games on how the 2.8ghz does against the 2.93 when the 2.8 is running games on 1080p i would greatly appreciate it.. :D:apple:

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
barefeats said:
Do you mean under bootcamp?

BTW, I was running SmallLuxGPU OpenCL benchmarks. It is reporting a core speed of 628MHz for the HD 5750.

Sorry -- i responded to the wrong post -- above is resp to overclock request.

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
BulletToothTony said:
hey barefeats..

i would LOVE to see a comparison of at least a couple of games on how the 2.8ghz does against the 2.93 when the 2.8 is running games on 1080p i would greatly appreciate it.. :D:apple:

I was going to do 19x12 but I will do 1080p instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.