PDA

View Full Version : Airport express and "other" wireless networking

blueskyredkite
Nov 20, 2004, 08:16 AM
Simple Q really: If I stick an Airport Express card in my iBook can it access my local wireless network that has a WiFi base station made by another manufacturer (Bufallo)?

solaris
Nov 20, 2004, 08:27 AM
Simple answer:
AirPort Express is a Base Station, not a card. So you will not be able to stick it in your iBook! ;)

crackrock
Nov 20, 2004, 08:28 AM
Yes, you just won't get airtunes.

blueskyredkite
Nov 20, 2004, 08:41 AM
Simple answer:
AirPort Express is a Base Station, not a card. So you will not be able to stick it in your iBook! ;)

So I meant Airport Extreme card! Give me a chance here, I'm new to all this Mac stuff.... taking me a while to get all sorts of stuff done let alone work out the language differences!

Rod Rod
Nov 20, 2004, 09:34 AM
the simple answer is yes, you can access wireless networks from any manufacturer. I own a Linksys WRT54G and I've connected to many other brands of wireless access points over the past couple of years.

broken_keyboard
Nov 20, 2004, 09:34 AM
Yes, it will probably work. Apple uses the same wireless protocol as PCs (802.11b/g). I have the opposite on my network: the base station is an Apple one and a PC with a Linksys card is able to connect to it just fine.

blueskyredkite
Nov 21, 2004, 01:23 PM
Thank you all for your replies. I've ordered a card, no doubt I'll post again if I have any problems.