PDA

View Full Version : Headset and my iMac

TBR
Nov 20, 2004, 10:17 AM
This is starting to bug me now. I'm all set up to record my first podcast and have borrowed a packard bell headset to hook up to my iMac G4 to record myself with.

But no matter what i do it doesn't seem to want to work, no sound is coming from the headset, (plugged into the audio in) even though I have been asured that it works fine and is in constant use by my mother. (chat room fanatic)

No if I plug my iPod into the audio in post then it works fine and all is good, it's only when using this headset. The only difference that I see is that the audio in jack of the headset has green stripes on it not black like everything else. could this be it?? although I doubt it.

Please someone help as the internal mike picks up to much computer noise and whatnot to be anygood for recording with.

ChrisBrightwell
Feb 22, 2006, 04:50 AM
I found this while doing a search for headset requirements, thought I'd offer an answer while I'm here. :)

The iMac input is a line-level input, whereas the mic line on most analog headsets needs a mic-level input (to power the mic). The iMac isn't giving the mic any power, so it's not going to work.

You need something to pull the level of that mic line up to what's known as "line level." A lot of people use the iMic, others use audio mixers that will provide power to the mic (and other inputs) while providing a line-level output for the iMac to accept.

Alternatively, you can toss the Packard Bell headset into the trash and pick up an inexpensive USB headset. Logitech and Plantronics both make very affordable USB-based solutions.

Hope this helps.

millypede
Feb 22, 2006, 08:36 AM
or pick up a iMic made by Griffin.

ChrisBrightwell
Feb 22, 2006, 10:26 AM
or pick up a iMic made by Griffin.I specifically mentioned the iMic, but thanks.

millypede
Feb 22, 2006, 01:27 PM
I specifically mentioned the iMic, but thanks.

Sorry totaly missed that!

frankblundt
Feb 22, 2006, 01:57 PM
I presume the headset is a mic and headphones? So it needs audio in AND audio out (which you're not going to get from a mic jack). Get a USB one, or bluetooth (if you have it). Even with the iMic it's not going to fix your problem because it still has separate in and out audio jacks.

TBR
Feb 22, 2006, 02:31 PM
A dead thread from 2 years ago brought back to life :)

Just so you know I've been using a logitech USB desktop microphone and a pair of wireless headphones for the past year or so and they have been working fine. (i already had the headphones)

But it goes to prove how great a community the mac users are that people are still willing to help people out when they see a problem without an answer.

Thankyou

ChrisBrightwell
Feb 23, 2006, 12:24 AM
I presume the headset is a mic and headphones? So it needs audio in AND audio out (which you're not going to get from a mic jack). Get a USB one, or bluetooth (if you have it). Even with the iMic it's not going to fix your problem because it still has separate in and out audio jacks.Most analog headsets have two connections ... one for the mic, and one for the headphones.