Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmitch150

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Boston, MA
Hi guys. What would you suggest for the best setting to encode videos on handbrake if I'm looking to use the video on my iphone4 and HDTV. I'm looking for the best HD quality but also reasonable size. Thanks for any help.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
I use the default settings of the Apple Universal setting.
The only problem I have with any settings on handbrake is the audio is to be desired, the video quality is perfect. However audio sounds softer..and that's a bit of issue brought up from time to time on the handbrake forums.

Fa7mac

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
Macau
download this preset. its perfect, a guy here in MacRumors uploaded it kindly in other similar post

Attachments

• HB_Export.plist.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 2,797

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
download this preset. its perfect, a guy here in MacRumors uploaded it kindly in other similar post

Jumped on this thread, always looking for a good HB preset :D

Can you tell me if it plays on all Apple stuff?
What are the approx output file sizes for say 1hr of movie/TV show?

What are the settings? do you know if it also plays on PS3?
cheers

jmitch150

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Boston, MA
Jumped on this thread, always looking for a good HB preset :D

Can you tell me if it plays on all Apple stuff?
What are the approx output file sizes for say 1hr of movie/TV show?

What are the settings? do you know if it also plays on PS3?
cheers

My questions exactly. Any answers to those would be great. Thx forthe setting

Fa7mac

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
Macau
well I just played it on my :apple:TV yet. The quality is the best I´ve come across with no scattering images. The output is .mp4 Size 1h30--> +/- 1GB
it may play in PS3 since PS3 plays .mp4 but I never tried, in my PS3 only discs go in :D

wysinawyg

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2009
jmitch, what do you mean by "on your HDTV"?

Is that using the TV itself? a cable from the iPhone? or other?

Nobody can realise advise you without knowing what format your HDTV (or whatever is feeding it) is using.

jmitch150

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Boston, MA
jmitch, what do you mean by "on your HDTV"?

Is that using the TV itself? a cable from the iPhone? or other?

Nobody can realise advise you without knowing what format your HDTV (or whatever is feeding it) is using.

I would be using either my PS3 or by hooking up my MBP via HDMI

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003

How do I load that preset into Handbrake?

Also, I have some 1080p video that was in mkv format. I converted it to mp4 using Handbrake, but when I tried to drag it from iTunes to my iPhone 4, it says it can't be played on the iPhone.

What do I need to do with the 1080p stuff I have to get it to play on the iPhone?

bradandbree

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2010
How do I load that preset into Handbrake?
Download the file and unzip. Open Handbrake, go to Presets --> Import... and select the unzipped file. It will immediately appear in your Presets toggle window.

Sorry I can't help with your other questions. Don't do hi-def on my ATV (yet).

Fa7mac

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
Macau
Also, I have some 1080p video that was in mkv format. I converted it to mp4 using Handbrake, but when I tried to drag it from iTunes to my iPhone 4, it says it can't be played on the iPhone.

What do I need to do with the 1080p stuff I have to get it to play on the iPhone?

Once in iTunes, select the movie go to Advance>Create iPhone version
iTunes will convert it so it can be played on the iPhone, once finished just sync it to the iPhone

switchrider

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2009
Is this preset better than the current :apple:TV preset?
I only watch ripped movies on the :apple:TV so want to get the best quality.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I just downloaded and am trying this preset, thank you. What I've been looking for, and how I found this thread, is how to adjust the Aspect Ratio. Im new to Handbrake, so I would prefer a preset for now, but I don't like the super wide aspect ratio of the Apple Universal, and I think I tried Normal or something and got full screen. Just looking for something I can watch on my HDTV off my Mac Mini and also maybe transfer to my iPad once in a while.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
What I've been looking for, and how I found this thread, is how to adjust the Aspect Ratio. Im new to Handbrake, so I would prefer a preset for now, but I don't like the super wide aspect ratio of the Apple Universal, and I think I tried Normal or something and got full screen
Um, why would you want to change the aspect ratio from the source ?

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Um, why would you want to change the aspect ratio from the source ?

I'd like to keep it the same as the source, I thought it looks like it wasn't doing that. I transferred a movie to my iPad, I get 1 3/8" bars top and bottom. And on the TV, it just looks like the Aspect Ratio is off, it looks very wide. The res on my Mac Mini is set to 1344x756, that might be messing with it I guess. Here is a screenshot off my Mac:
Screenshot2010-08-05at103520AM.png

samusaran

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
I'd like to keep it the same as the source, I thought it looks like it wasn't doing that. I transferred a movie to my iPad, I get 1 3/8" bars top and bottom. And on the TV, it just looks like the Aspect Ratio is off, it looks very wide. The res on my Mac Mini is set to 1344x756, that might be messing with it I guess. Here is a screenshot off my Mac:
Screenshot2010-08-05at103520AM.png

How does it look when you hit command-F within VLC?

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
I've been using the Apple Universal preset for a long time and have been happy. The only exception is with TV shows....sometimes a 22 minute sitcom episode encoded at 640x480 with a 4:3 AR will climb as high as 600mb.... way too much for me, so I lower the bitrate down to 1750kbps and don't notice too much of a drop in quality.

For all of my movies though, I've never had an issue with the Apple Universal setting. Movies range from 900mb to 2.75gb depending on the length, type and aspect ratio of the film. I've got movies that are about 85-90 minutes, with an AAC track and a 5.1 AC-3 track that are under 1GB in size and look GREAT on my Apple TV, darn near indistinguishable from the DVD when played on a PS3. Most are about 1.5GB or so.

Big Shisha

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2010
Do you rip straight from the DVD using these presets? Or from an iso image?

The reason I ask is that I've been ripping DVD's into iso files and then loading as a batch into handbrake to do overnight, but the quality on my apple tv looks horrible.

Would it be best for me to use the apple universal(or custom one above) to rip straight from the dvd and into itunes for apple tv? Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Do you rip straight from the DVD using these presets? Or from an iso image?

The reason I ask is that I've been ripping DVD's into iso files and then loading as a batch into handbrake to do overnight, but the quality on my apple tv looks horrible.

Would it be best for me to use the apple universal(or custom one above) to rip straight from the dvd and into itunes for apple tv? Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

It shouldn't matter whether you encode straight from the DVD, from an iso, or DVD folder structure. It's all the same video going in, so it shouldn't make a difference. The videos shouldn't look horrible if you use the Apple Universal setting, I can't speak for other settings though.

Last edited:

Charlie Croker

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2010
I've read a few posts on Handbrake settings over the months I've been using it and more often than not, users will say the sweet spot is around 63% on the sliding scale. I have tried this on many videos and found it very inadequate unless the footage is fairly slow moving TV drama in well lit locations. Anything slightly grainy, dark, fast moving, looks pretty awful on the recommended settings. Has anyone got an alternative setting for 'more taxing' video?

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Can't say I noticed that myself. I was watching my encode of Terminator 2 this morning and it's got a lot of action scenes, many of them in dark settings, and a fair bit of grain, and I noticed little to no macroblocking or pixelation. It was a pretty darn good picture. It was done with the Apple Universal preset with a 63% constant quality setting.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Tonight I need to find the delta between the "normal" setting and this "Apple Universal Setting'. I am curious why my MP4's don't play on an iPhone or iPad except for Apple TV or using a Mac or PC.

It just baffles me what setting that is causing my movies not to play.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I've read a few posts on Handbrake settings over the months I've been using it and more often than not, users will say the sweet spot is around 63% on the sliding scale. I have tried this on many videos and found it very inadequate unless the footage is fairly slow moving TV drama in well lit locations. Anything slightly grainy, dark, fast moving, looks pretty awful on the recommended settings. Has anyone got an alternative setting for 'more taxing' video?

I like to use the 'No DCT-Decimate' option on all my encodes. I find that this can stop Handbrake from destroying subtle filmgrain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.