PDA

View Full Version : iSite Problems

Dux
Nov 20, 2004, 11:36 AM
I seems that I really have to mess with the firewire connection to get the green/white camera icon to show up in my "Buddy List." When the I finally get it to work, I am told, "Your camera is in use by another application."

What does all this mean? And what could be wrong with the firewire connection that I have to mess with it so much?

I am currently using a G4 Mac OSX Version 10.2.8
Processor: Dual 1.25 GHz
Memory: 1024 MB

jackieonasses
Nov 20, 2004, 12:43 PM
I seems that I really have to mess with the firewire connection to get the green/white camera icon to show up in my "Buddy List." When the I finally get it to work, I am told, "Your camera is in use by another application."

What does all this mean? And what could be wrong with the firewire connection that I have to mess with it so much?

I am currently using a G4 Mac OSX Version 10.2.8
Processor: Dual 1.25 GHz
Memory: 1024 MB you are using the beta aren't you? hmm that shouldn't be a problem. but it might. If you have an isight does it not open ichat when you turn the shutter?

EMKoper
Nov 20, 2004, 02:02 PM
I seems that I really have to mess with the firewire connection to get the green/white camera icon to show up in my "Buddy List."
Do you have other firewire devices attached, like an iPod? I found an article regarding exceeding firewire bus power capability on some of the G4 MDDs with multiple devices attached. Some have fixed these glitches by using a powered firewire bus. I used to have such issues all the time with both iSight and iPod connected ... I just connect only one at a time and have not had no problems since ... including the "iSight is in use" message which was common for me.

munkle
Nov 20, 2004, 02:05 PM
Are you using iChat AV? The iChat that comes bundled with Jaguar does not support video chats, that might be what is causing the problems.

IJ Reilly
Nov 20, 2004, 03:03 PM
Try downloading one of the freeware video applications that support the iSight (check on VersionTracker, you'll find quite a few). If they won't display output from the camera, try substituting a standard FireWire cable for the skinny job Apple supplies with the camera. All of this assumes you've done the firmware update to the camera. That's what solved my "not found" and "in use" problems once and for all.

Dux
Nov 21, 2004, 12:47 PM
you are using the beta aren't you? hmm that shouldn't be a problem. but it might. If you have an isight does it not open ichat when you turn the shutter?

I am not sure what "beta" is...other then a fish. :)

ichat is open. I can converse. Mostly in text however. The camera is the problem. Again it tells me that the "camera is in use by another application," or it simply will not show up in the buddy list without a lot of messing around with the connection.

Dux
Nov 21, 2004, 12:48 PM
Do you have other firewire devices attached....

No. ichat is all that is connected. There is still one free port available.

Dux
Nov 21, 2004, 01:01 PM
Try downloading one of the freeware video applications that support the iSight

I will look for this. The camera worked for a month or two however. Then it just shut down, or again....it tells me that the "camera is being used by another application." There are no other applications that I know of.

What is the "Connection Doctor?"

Dux
Nov 21, 2004, 01:07 PM
Are you using iChat AV? The iChat that comes bundled with Jaguar does not support video chats, that might be what is causing the problems.

Again it did work for a time. So this shouldn't be the problem. I might want to upgrade to Panther....but I am not sure that this is the problem. So no point paying the additional fee without knowing what is going on.

Dux
Nov 21, 2004, 01:08 PM
General Note:

Mahalo guys for all the help!!!!!! :)

Dux
Nov 24, 2004, 10:44 AM
Upgrading to Panther, and to iChat2.1 solved all the problems. I just thought I would post this so others with the same problem might see the light.