Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Florida
It's plain in sight that pretty much apple is making everything out of natural resources i.e. Aluminum, Glass - But whats keeping them from the Macbook?

Do you think the will ever get rid of the white Macbook, maybe make them look like the old Titanium Powerbooks without the glossy display?

They are still keeping something plastic, like the magic mouse and obviously the the keyboard keys - but their computer line-up consists of only one plastic computer, the Macbook.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Florida

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
They didn't keep making the white one. They made the aluminum one beginning October 14, 2008, and went back to the white plastic on October 20, 2009. No?

No. They had the aluminum macbook as a high end consumer machine. They kept the white macbook as a low end consumer machine.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Florida
They didn't keep making the white one. They made the aluminum one beginning October 14, 2008, and went back to the white plastic on October 20, 2009. No?

All i remember is that they offered consumers either the higher end Macbook aka the unibody and at the same time the Plastic one. They could've stopped for like a week as you suggest i didn't pay much attention.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
No. They had the aluminum macbook as a high end consumer machine. They kept the white macbook as a low end consumer machine.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification.

Back to the topic..... I'm sure eventually they'll permanently change the materials that they use for the MB, but I can see them sticking with the polycarbonate for a while. As someone above posted, they do it for diversification. It makes the MB appear to be less than a pro machine, even though the specs aren't much different between the MB and the lowest MBP.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Florida
Ah. Thanks for the clarification.

Back to the topic..... I'm sure eventually they'll permanently change the materials that they use for the MB, but I can see them sticking with the polycarbonate. As someone above posted, they do it for diversification. It makes the MB appear to be less than a pro machine, even though the specs aren't much different between the MB and the lowest MBP.

They seem to take all this from the iPhone. At that rate it would be awsome if the next gen iMac and Macbook take after the glass on both sides and a Metal band that holds them together - hopefully they'll also make a white version of the iMac again. I think the Polycarbonate look was very pure and stood out from everyone else.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
They seem to take all this from the iPhone. At that rate it would be awsome if the next gen iMac and Macbook take after the glass on both sides and a Metal band that holds them together - hopefully they'll also make a white version of the iMac again. I think the Polycarbonate look was very pure and stood out from everyone else.
Doubtful. Nowadays the iMacs stand out because of their screens, which are a really great selling point. Something white, and plastic especially, will only divert attention from the screen in a negative way.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

I don't think that they'll go with a glass laptop. That thing would be way more prone to cracking and scratching than an iPhone.

I don't want to see a white version of the iMac ever again.

The white was nice at the time (I owned iBooks and an MacBook), but aluminum looks much better.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Oh, and OP, if you think it's a bit nit-picky, when Leopard came out, it bugged me (and still does) that all macs show the 10.4 Tiger Aqua desktop on the screen, despite all macs now defaulting to the new Space desktops, with S.Jobs even noting 'Nobody uses these desktops'.

Hence my MBP icon creation for my 'Macintosh HD' and removal of the MBP from Finder.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Return of the blackbook :D

Le's hope. I'm holding onto mine til then. I didn't get why people paid more for the black MacBook until I got one. Hands down my favorite Mac ever. People still ask me on the train, "Where did you get that? I didn't know they made black ones. It's pretty." But not just that. They are easy to maintain and keep clean. Mine looks as good as the day I got it.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Le's hope. I'm holding onto mine til then. I didn't get why people paid more for the black MacBook until I got one. Hands down my favorite Mac ever. People still ask me on the train, "Where did you get that? I didn't know they made black ones. It's pretty." But not just that. They are easy to maintain and keep clean. Mine looks as good as the day I got it.

You don't have shiny keys?

Fast/Furious

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
Vancouver, BC
It's unlikely they'll use aluminum in the near future because the body material is mainly what separates the MacBook from the MacBook Pro. I could see them doing a "hybrid" of fiberglass and aluminum however.. but a full aluminum unibody MacBook would take away the differentiation between models.

Jeffrosproto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008

I think an iMac with an iPhone 4-ish design would be awesome. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see one with the next refresh.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
You don't have shiny keys?
Got those too. And many many fingerprints on the casing that just won't come of anymore. And the trackpad is pretty worn off :) But since it's black you only notice it in bright light, otherwise it's just.. all black.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.