PDA

View Full Version : Is G4 a copyright, trademark or registered to Apple?

kerb
Nov 20, 2004, 12:59 PM
self-explainatory from the title of the thread

the only reason I ask is because on a British crap form of American Idol/Pop Idol, there is a male vocalist group called G4 Anyway they are vile and I want them sued.

CrackedButter
Nov 20, 2004, 01:06 PM
| don't see how you can combine a single letter of the alphabet with a number and then trademark it, not when Intel couldn't trademark "386". But somebody in here is probably going to say the opposite and say it is trademarked.

But Canon btw has a camera called the G5 and so does the Apple computer company.

jackieonasses
Nov 20, 2004, 01:07 PM

the only reason I ask is because on a British crap form of American Idol/Pop Idol, there is a male vocalist group called G4 Anyway they are vile and I want them sued.If that is true, it is going to suck for apple when the new powerpc comes out, and they can't call it a G6. You know, the Pontiac g6?

tech4all
Nov 20, 2004, 02:15 PM
If that is true, it is going to suck for apple when the new powerpc comes out, and they can't call it a G6. You know, the Pontiac g6?

I don't think Apple will have a problem "legally" naming the next processor G6 just because Pontiac has that name as well, because Apple and Pontiac have totally different markets and are not competitors. One sell's computers, one sells cars. I'm not a lawyer so I'm totally sure that's who trade/service marks works (trademark in this case).

jackieonasses
Nov 20, 2004, 02:25 PM
I don't think Apple will have a problem "legally" naming the next processor G6 just because Pontiac has that name as well, because Apple and Pontiac have totally different markets and are not competitors. One sell's computers, one sells cars. I'm not a lawyer so I'm totally sure that's who trade/service marks works (trademark in this case).I know they won't. What i meant was, IF the the name G4 could be patented, then we would be screwed next time...

Sorry for not making myself clear.

AoWolf
Nov 20, 2004, 02:49 PM
If that is true, it is going to suck for apple when the new powerpc comes out, and they can't call it a G6. You know, the Pontiac g6?

You know I rather see an 7ghz triple core H1 running mac OS XI Dingo with a full 3d interface and mind control technology. But really I think apple may be beyond the whole GX processor name after the G5.

Linkster82
Nov 20, 2004, 03:12 PM
As it stands, the TechTV/G4 combination seems to operate without any opposition from Apple. They share similar markets, being both computer related.

From a legal standpoint, though, no, G4 is not copyrighted by Apple Computer. This is impossible. Just as BMW can produce a 740 model while Volvo does the same, Apple cannot maintain control over a designation that lacks any kind of uniqueness.

oreo
Nov 20, 2004, 03:53 PM
I wish they could, G4 are awful. If they win they are gonna be a one hit wonder. Can't believe they made it though this week, think people voted for them cause they felt sorry for them as they were nearly voted off last week. They also don't seem to have any personality.

I thought this tread was going to be about them.

wordmunger
Nov 20, 2004, 04:21 PM
Actually, there are lots of trademarks on "G4", but Apple doesn't own any of them. You can trademark the same title for different uses, and you're not actually required to register a trademark. So, for example, you can have Unix, the operating system, but also Unix, the golf club (yes, it exists. I have one). Even if Apple had registered G4, there's no way they could enforce the trademark on a rock band.

superbovine
Nov 20, 2004, 06:45 PM

the only reason I ask is because on a British crap form of American Idol/Pop Idol, there is a male vocalist group called G4 Anyway they are vile and I want them sued.

http://www.uspto.gov/