PDA

View Full Version : ipod - windows to mac

dontpanic
Nov 20, 2004, 01:10 PM
having just got a new 14" ibook i want to make my windows ipod into a mac ipod, does anyone know an easy way to do it without losing the songs on it?

earthtoandy
Nov 20, 2004, 01:19 PM
there is no way. it has to be formatted and you ill lose all songs and files. but just put all your songs on the ibook and then sync it and it wont be any different

Jsmit
Nov 20, 2004, 01:23 PM
This is a second generation iPod right?

If I remeber correctly. The easiest thing to do is to download the he latest iPod updater and select restore, though you will lose your songs. If your songs are in the iTunes library it wont take long for them to be transfered. If the songs are not in your iTunes library, then you will need to transfer them there.

Sorry, that I couldn't help with a way to save the songs on you iPod.

dontpanic
Nov 20, 2004, 01:36 PM
there is no way. it has to be formatted and you ill lose all songs and files. but just put all your songs on the ibook and then sync it and it wont be any different

how do i put all the songs on the ibook, they're in a hidden folder aren't they, how do i get to it

munkle
Nov 20, 2004, 02:14 PM
Use an app like PodWorks (http://www.scifihifi.com/podworks/) to download songs from your iPod to iTunes. Reformat iPod to Mac iPod, hook it up to iTunes and sync your music. Easy!

PodWorks is shareware, I think there are free apps available so check out macupdate.com or versiontracker. But I highly recommend PodWorks, I've been using it for over a year and it is worth its weight in gold.

On a different note, there really is no need to make your iPod into a 'Mac' iPod. I purposefully formatted mine as a Windows one so I can easily use it as a portable hard disk between computers of both platforms. And Mac's, being the clever computers that they are, have no problems with dealing with a 'Windows' iPod.

Jsmit
Nov 20, 2004, 02:23 PM
Don't 2nd gen Ipods need to be used on the platform they are formatted t? I know it doesn't matter in the 3rd+ gens.

daveL
Nov 20, 2004, 02:47 PM
Don't 2nd gen Ipods need to be used on the platform they are formatted t? I know it doesn't matter in the 3rd+ gens.
If it's formatted for Mac, you can't use it with Windows and vice versa. I just went through this with my wife's iPod; she switched away from XP to a shiny new iMac G5.

dontpanic
Nov 21, 2004, 12:04 PM
i have a thrid gen ipod, does that mean i don't need to change it to a mac ipod, i have found a way to get the songs off it anyway, can i just sync it with i tunes on my mac just like i did on the pc

jaseone
Nov 21, 2004, 12:14 PM
i have a thrid gen ipod, does that mean i don't need to change it to a mac ipod, i have found a way to get the songs off it anyway, can i just sync it with i tunes on my mac just like i did on the pc

That is correct, that is what I'm doing with my third gen (with clickwheel) and it still allows me to use it as a portable hard drive on both windows and mac and linux for that matter. :)

earthtoandy
Nov 21, 2004, 01:25 PM
i didnt think about that... a windows machine wont be able to use a mac formatted ipod as a hard drive? that blows and i will have to keep my ipod as a windows format:\

dontpanic
Nov 21, 2004, 03:15 PM
i've done it now and it doesn't make any difference if it is a winpod or a macpod i don't think

daveL
Nov 22, 2004, 12:03 PM
Well, I'm not sure if you read the thread, but it depends on which generation iPod you have. As given above, 2nd gen iPods have to be formatted specifically for Mac or PC, while 3rd gen iPods don't. At least that's the way I read it.