PDA

View Full Version : Buying new iMac 27'' without SSD, is it possible to self install later?

seasurfer
Jul 31, 2010, 09:34 PM
May sound like a stupid question. The current price for SSD is rocket high. I am planning to buy an iMac 27'' without the SSD, just wondering what is the possibility of installing a SSD later when the price drop?

Is it easy to install? Or can I ask Apple to install for me? Thanks.

ryan0402
Jul 31, 2010, 09:37 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/28/new-27-inch-imac-disassembled-aftermarket-ssd-install-deemed-difficult/

phrehdd
Jan 28, 2012, 02:51 AM
If you go to OWC site, they offer SSD (some highly respected models) and do the service for you of install. They, can possibly add eSATA to the iMac 27"

There are other SSD's out there that have good, same or better marks on tests but consistently the OWC offerings have been reviewed favorably by both users and official reviewers.

So in short, yes you can do it yourself and best you get a pro to do it for you.

Santabean2000
Jan 28, 2012, 04:27 AM
May sound like a stupid question. The current price for SSD is rocket high. I am planning to buy an iMac 27'' without the SSD, just wondering what is the possibility of installing a SSD later when the price drop?

Is it easy to install? Or can I ask Apple to install for me? Thanks.

You can, but it's a big ol' hassle - esp if there's a problem and you have o take it out again.

Suck it up and get the Apple stock SSD, (or any other Mac which are far more user accessible).

Jazwire
Jan 28, 2012, 01:09 PM
Nice revival of 2 year old thread. :P

pectin232
Jan 29, 2012, 11:43 AM
Nice revival of 2 year old thread. :P

I was also seriously thinking of that... get it first without the SSD but at the same time I have built a PC using i2600k with 16gb and 128GB SSD from Crucial [it was a little expensive]. That thing is incredible. It is very fast... opening photoshop maybe 2.4 seconds, start windows 64 less than 15 seconds or so.. never really check. My kids also wanted their pc's now with SSD.. as they can go to the bathrooom and it is still trying to start. I see why it is so nice. Seriously there must be some form of price 'Fixing' on SSDs... as none of them are lowering even with rebates.... I want at least a 400-500gb SSD. It will be nice. As now I have to delete or remove programs every now and then as I am left with just 30gb of free space. MS office starts about a second or so. Maybe I am just going to get the Mac with SSD... I checked the price with what I want 'configured'.. it was like $3400+ it is ridiculously expensive with the economy like this now... but many are getting or even have got this... so I should not complain so much. just my humble opinion. Sending it to OWC is fine too but I believe a great hassle... how much more of a [performance can I get from OWC.... 1-10%] worth it? I am not sure.. with packing it to them and sending it [$100 to even ship, etc]