Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 3, 2002
Hello everyone.

we have a new iMac that replaced the old PC. We really didnt know anything about PCs and had a hard time just keeping the scanner running.

Now that we have the iMac everything including the scanner is running fine. I wanted to just transfer all data from the PC to the Mac and ditch the PC but my girlfriend wants to keep the PC as it is and just access it with the iMac.

We have tones of music on the PC i figured maybe using the PC as our music jukebox and control it from the iMac? Can i set up iTunes to see the PC on the network as the volume to store and play music from? Also, what else can we do with that old PC, any suggestions? I was thinking about running the PC headless so we can just sort of forget about it...but i dont think that will work....UNLESS i run VNC to control the PC then i can reboot if needed from the iMac VNC client right?

thanks for the help.

PC
windows XP

iMac
OS X
G5 1.8 Ghz

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
I think putting both the computers on a network would be easier than using VNC. If both computers are on the same network and have iTunes, just go into the settings on your PC and turn on 'Share Library' and on your iMac, turn on look for shared libraries.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 3, 2002
cool that sounds easy as far as sharing iTunes.

but i wanted to run VNC in order to run the PC headless. that way we dont have to deal with that big ugly monitor and we can hide the PC :D

would it be a bad idea to run the PC headless? and if so what would be the best way to do it.

duja_snooze

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2004
if you had so many problems runing the pc before why don't you just ditch it now that you've got the chance??? sounds like you're causing yourself a hell of a lot of hassle for no gain.

chamberlain

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2003
Portland
Windows Remote Desktop client

get the free MS remote desktop client for your imac. you will have full control over your XP pro box, with absolutely no need for a monitor. put the ugly thing in a closet or something.

CLICK: MS RDC page

other than that you could install linux on it, and turn it into a web / file / media server.that involves a little more work though.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Im in a similiar situation, and this is an idea I recommend, as it's what I plan to do:

-If your PC has a good HD (20gb or higher), alot of ram, or nice vid card, take it all out and sell them on eBay.

-Install smaller items (2-10gb HD, 128mb RAM, 32mb graphics, etc) that you can find on eBay really cheap.

-Download linux (any flavor will do, but Mandrake is the easiest ;))

-Install linux on the PC. Network it with the iMAc.

-Use the Linux box as an internet gateway/firewall/file server for your iMac.

-Take the left over money you made in prophit on eBay and order a pizza, then sit and basque in the glory of your new set up.

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
I have a headless PC I use at work for the few things I can't do with my Mac. I use Microsoft's free Remote Desktop software, and it works fine (well, as good as a PC can work). :D

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 3, 2002
duja_snooze said:
if you had so many problems runing the pc before why don't you just ditch it now that you've got the chance??? sounds like you're causing yourself a hell of a lot of hassle for no gain.

its called a girlfriend. :D as stated in the original post...she wants to keep the beast.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
beatle888 said:
its called a girlfriend. :D as stated in the original post...she wants to keep the beast.
:confused:

I don't understand why you're refered to as a beast. ;)

But maybe she likes you.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
nosen said:
I have a headless PC I use at work for the few things I can't do with my Mac. I use Microsoft's free Remote Desktop software, and it works fine (well, as good as a PC can work). :D

I'd agree. RDC is working very well.. (ouch, I said that a m$ app was good..)

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 3, 2002
Well thank you all for the humor and advice. I tried RDC and that was such a simple solution. Is that the same as VNC? Would VNC offer better performance? The RDC is a little slow and the system fonts seem a little weird...but it think it works great. However i would be willing to learn how to use the VNC if its better.

Also, what about protecting our network. If we enable file sharing over a network for the PC is its security being compromised? We have a wireless router from verizon but it didnt come with any software to control security features that the modem/router might have.

atomiton

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2004
beatle888 said:
Well thank you all for the humor and advice. I tried RDC and that was such a simple solution. Is that the same as VNC? Would VNC offer better performance? The RDC is a little slow and the system fonts seem a little weird...but it think it works great. However i would be willing to learn how to use the VNC if its better.

Also, what about protecting our network. If we enable file sharing over a network for the PC is its security being compromised? We have a wireless router from verizon but it didnt come with any software to control security features that the modem/router might have.

RDC will probably work better... at least from PC to PC it does. most IT shops control their servers exclusively with RDC. VNC is sucky. RDC is built-in... very maccish that way actually.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
New iMac. What can i do with that old PC

When you setup a Windows based file server, you are signing up for a lifetime course in Microsoft patches and security manouevers. S'ok if you don't mind the research and diligence.

Your wireless router will provide Network Address Translation at the least, which is the first babystep toward security - it gives your "inside" machines a different address than it presents to the "outside" Internet. Ask your ISP to point you to a web site with the instructions for configuring the router, typically it doesn't require special software. Most routers are configured by using your Web browser to log into a Web interface at the router's internal address (the address you see in your TCP/IP "Gateway" or "Router" field). The router will have a default user and password -- this is the first thing you need to change (because these defaults are well known to hackers). Write down your new settings. Then there will be an array of features to customize access and to open or close specific ports on the router, whether they will pass connections through to your machine(s) or not.

I like the idea of redoing the PC as a Linux machine for use as a fileserver / network backup drive, although that would not satisfy the requirement for occasional use as a Windows software platform. Setting it up as a *NIX firewall would largely duplicate the function you have in your router already.

The amount you would receive for a parting out the used hard drive and RAM would not pay you for the time and effort of re-jigging the machine, unless you have a pile of spares in your closet already. A high end video card would be the exception to this rule, as they would have some resale value.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 3, 2002
thanks trevor.

i'll call verizon and see what they have to say about reconfiguring the router as far as password and all.

thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.