PDA

View Full Version : Music rebels seek to tame P2P

MacBytes
Nov 20, 2004, 05:51 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Music rebels seek to tame P2P (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041120185107)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

requies
Nov 21, 2004, 01:27 AM
"something large networks that support millions of users might be loathe to do."

"loath" is the word you're looking for. editors? we don't need no stinkin editors!

iMeowbot
Nov 21, 2004, 01:59 AM
For the adjective form, both "loath" and "loathe" are accepted variants.

requies
Nov 21, 2004, 05:12 AM
For the adjective form, both "loath" and "loathe" are accepted variants.

after further investigation it appears that you are correct. i'm all for the mutability of language, but why can't it mutate in logical ways? though i suppose laziness has plenty of historical precedence. different spelling for different usage made sense to me. alas. ok, i'm done being pedantic now.

to get on topic: who would buy music from a file sharing network? i'm not going to list the negatives, but from my experience the only advantage of the file sharing networks is the price. so it's obvious why the riaa would want to strip away that one advantage. however, there will always be a way. the networks that sign up for this will only be marginalizing themselves. surely they will realize this? it seems to me that mr napster is being used to develop technology for future nefarious uses.

iMeowbot
Nov 21, 2004, 07:41 AM
On language, we're only going to get more lazy. How long do you think it will take for SMS and IM shorthand to blend into regular usage? Old-time Telex operators must be enjoying this.

On P2P in commerce, I think that it is already happening. A few companies have already been experimenting with BitTorrent, and it makes sense when all that is being sold is a license key. Those who hope to take over KaZaA and friends might be dreaming. Separate services could do well using the same technology.