Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
I've been running Panther on my upgraded Bondi Blue iMac quite regularly. It currently has 512 MB of RAM, a MacWireless 11b USB Adapter, and a 40 GB 7200 rpm HD.

However, after several hours of use, my iMac will sometimes sort of freeze. I have iTunes in the background quite often. But anyways, the symptoms are:

1) The clock will keep ticking.
2) Power to the keyboard and mouse die. Caps lock won't light up, the optical mouse is off.
3) The MacWireless 11b USB Adapter stays lit, until I unplug it and plug it back in.
4) Music will keep playing, but then it stops. However, I think that's because the Wireless Adapter turns off. I usually am listening to music off of my other computer through sharing or online radio.
5) The cursor is stuck.
6) Sometimes the cursor will start getting jumpy and jump from place to place for a few minutes before the above symptoms kick in.

When I am in OS 9 there is no problem, and I measured my CPU temp to be 55°C using one of the OS 9 temperature apps since the thermometer doesn't work in OS X. I suspect, if there is overheating, is due to my 7200 rpm HD. The vents are quite noticeably hot ever since the upgrades.

Any ideas?

My HD is also partitioned into 3 pieces. One for the system, one for users, and one for apps.

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2002
WA
my iMac

does similar stuff. I think it has to do with the wirless airport card I have. It really like's to freeze up when a large amount of data is going through. Wierd. It happens about every two weeks.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
Coca-Cola said:
does similar stuff. I think it has to do with the wirless airport card I have. It really like's to freeze up when a large amount of data is going through. Wierd. It happens about every two weeks.

Interesting. My iMac also freezes up like that when I tried moving large amounts of data over my network. Anything over 10 MB would freeze up, I think. I ended up purchasing a USB flash drive in order to move large files.

Well, as long as my iMac isn't melting...

stephenli

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
You guys are still lucky, my Bondi Blue burnt already :(
While the HDD is dead, I replaced with a 20G....
While the RAM is dead, I replaced with Kensington.....
However....
finally.....
The Display RAM dead (OS 9 said....) and afterward no longer startup...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.