PDA

View Full Version : iMac to ATX Conversion - No Video, Startup Chime

LimeiBook86
Nov 21, 2004, 12:25 AM
I have an early revison iMac. I know it is Bondi colored. I think it might be revision B. I just have the motherboard (logic board?) with the CPU and RAM and VRAM on it. The motherboard then goes to the A/V board which deals with the monitor and audio connections. My friend modified an ATX power supply and the Mac turns on, but there is no boot chime. The LED on the motherboard near the CUDA button turns on. The hard drive spins up, the CD-ROM turns on, but the monitor connected to the ‘Video port’ (that says NO EXTERNAL MONIOR) acts like there is nothing connected. The Mac seems to want to start up, but there is no video on screen or a boot chime. I’m using headphones since the origial iMac speakers are not with me at this time.

There are two sticks of RAM in the iMac (not sure what size), removing one or the other (with at least 1 stick in at all times) doesn’t seem to make a difference. There is also a stick of VRAM (I think) when I take that out the Mac doesn’t try to bootup at all. I do NOT have a Keyboard or Mouse plugged in. It’s odd but maybe this is causing the problem. The hard drive I used is a IDE 6gb, which I formated in DiscUtility as Mac OS Exteneded (Journaled) from which I installed Mac OS 9.2.1 on. Does this configuration sound ok?

I have found online that other people have successfuly done this, I just wonder what is wrong with mine. My guess is the video memoery…any thoughts?

Thanks in advance! :D