Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
i'm considering getting an iPod, however what i really want to know if there is a way to use it as a recording device, similar to what a minidisc player can do. i've heard of the iMic or whatever griffin thing, but i'm more interested in some kind of accessory that can enable the iPod to capture some decent quality stereo recordings, not just some mono voice memos. with the huge popularity of this thing i'm assuming something has to be out there. anyone know of anything?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
ifjake said:
i'm considering getting an iPod, however what i really want to know if there is a way to use it as a recording device, similar to what a minidisc player can do. i've heard of the iMic or whatever griffin thing, but i'm more interested in some kind of accessory that can enable the iPod to capture some decent quality stereo recordings, not just some mono voice memos. with the huge popularity of this thing i'm assuming something has to be out there. anyone know of anything?

there is no such device, except for the one you mentioned which is for voice recording. it's been known (since 3G iPods, i think?) that iPod's internal menu has an entry for "record" - so it may be possible in the future.

so in the end, for now, there's no way to do what you are asking.

jtgotsjets

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
Lawrence, KS
Well, if you get an iTalk, it has a mic input, so you can theoretically record better sound than normal with it. But they are still recorded to ****** little voice memo files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.