Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blunderboy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
I don't think Microsoft is going anywhere any time soon, but it is true that Microsoft is becoming increasingly irrelevant in certain areas of the tech industry, apart from their cash cows of Windows and MS Office. Microsoft often buys other companies up, but even so, buyouts don't always result in the adoption of new technology from those buyouts.

PerfSeeker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
I don't think Microsoft is going anywhere any time soon, but it is true that Microsoft is becoming increasingly irrelevant in certain areas of the tech industry, apart from their cash cows of Windows and MS Office. Microsoft often buys other companies up, but even so, buyouts don't always result in the adoption of new technology from those buyouts.

MSFT is gonna be really big in enterprise cloud computing soon with the deployment of data centers across the globe. Also keeping it "green".

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2009/apr09/04-02Greendatacenters.mspx

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Yep, they're into everything. But they can barely get *anything* right. Apple has made a complete laughing-stock out of them.

May Ballmer continue to lead MS for years to come! He's great. For Apple.

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
Obviously Microsoft won't be folding any time soon. However, their leader is holding the company back. Just imagine where MS could have been now if Gates had appointed someone besides Ballmer as his successor. Look at the MS stock price since SB took over in 2000.

20091221stock.jpg

PerfSeeker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Obviously Microsoft won't be folding any time soon. However, their leader is holding the company back. Just imagine where MS could have been now if Gates had appointed someone besides Ballmer as his successor. Look at the MS stock price since SB took over in 2000.

20091221stock.jpg

True enough - but one thing Ballmer did do in the 2000s was make MSFT a giant in enterprise computing. I think that's an area of business he gets, whereas he doesn't get consumer. Imagine if in 2001 Apple tried to conquer all areas(incl enterprise) they'd have had massive failures that would have pounded the stock price too. But Steve Jobs is smart enough to know his limitations.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

There is a lot of ingorance in that post. People like you miss a lot of the big things microsoft does.
Microsoft is not all about the flash and consumer goodies like Apple. Apple only appears to be a tech innovator. Reality is they are not one for anything more than the consumer sector.

Cloud computing is a Microsoft push and something I remember reading about them working on over 10 years ago. Microsoft is in the enterprise world and big part of that. They are great a linking different system together that you do not know about it.

Now I expect our resident hater of everything not Apple to come here and spread the normal Apple drivel and 1/10 truths.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I think Mark Twain might have an issue being compared to a tech giant like Microsoft....

But yes, I agree. Reports of Microsoft's demise have been greatly exaggerated. ;)

PerfSeeker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
There is a lot of ingorance in that post. People like you miss a lot of the big things microsoft does.
Microsoft is not all about the flash and consumer goodies like Apple. Apple only appears to be a tech innovator. Reality is they are not one for anything more than the consumer sector.

Cloud computing is a Microsoft push and something I remember reading about them working on over 10 years ago. Microsoft is in the enterprise world and big part of that. They are great a linking different system together that you do not know about it.

Now I expect our resident hater of everything not Apple to come here and spread the normal Apple drivel and 1/10 truths.

99% of Apple fanboys have no clue what MSFT does. I wonder how many have even used Windows 7?

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
MS has a few problems, and they all seem to be tied together.

1) They are too big for their own good. They remind me of the federal government. There are too many layers of bureaucracy and too much in-fighting to be effective. One example is the Courier tablet project. I have heard that one reason it got canceled is because there was too much internal bickering over who would control it: the Xbox team, the Windows Phone team, or the Windows team. This type of stuff reportedly happens quite often.

2) Lack of direction. They sat back while the iPod became a huge seller, and by the time they did enter the market, it was too late. The Zune technically is as good or better than any iPod, but by the time it hit the market, Apple was already dominating the market. In the mobile phone market, they slept while RIM dominated enterprise, and Apple and Android starting taking over the consumer smartphone market. Windows Phone 7 may be good, but will it be too late?

3) Their marketing, especially in the consumer market, is terrible. Does anybody remember those Bill Gates/Jerry Sienfeld commercials? As I said before, the Zune is every bit as good as an iPod, but nobody has ever heard of it. They offer 25GB of free online storage (Skydrive), but nobody knows about it. They offer a very good and free antimalware program (Security Essentials), but nobody knows about it.

Basically, because they are so entrenched in the enterprise market, they will continue to do well. But they are terrible in the consumer market.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
The biggest problem with Microsoft is they make software platforms and not products, and the platform approach has not proven itself outside of the PC world (phone, tablet, TV, music, auto, robotics, etc).

Windows and Office subsidize their entire company's other interests. Investors see that and wonder how long it's sustainable.

KirkL

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
United States
MS has a few problems, and they all seem to be tied together.

1) They are too big for their own good. They remind me of the federal government. There are too many layers of bureaucracy and too much in-fighting to be effective. One example is the Courier tablet project. I have heard that one reason it got canceled is because there was too much internal bickering over who would control it: the Xbox team, the Windows Phone team, or the Windows team. This type of stuff reportedly happens quite often.

2) Lack of direction. They sat back while the iPod became a huge seller, and by the time they did enter the market, it was too late. The Zune technically is as good or better than any iPod, but by the time it hit the market, Apple was already dominating the market. In the mobile phone market, they slept while RIM dominated enterprise, and Apple and Android starting taking over the consumer smartphone market. Windows Phone 7 may be good, but will it be too late?

3) Their marketing, especially in the consumer market, is terrible. Does anybody remember those Bill Gates/Jerry Sienfeld commercials? As I said before, the Zune is every bit as good as an iPod, but nobody has ever heard of it. They offer 25GB of free online storage (Skydrive), but nobody knows about it. They offer a very good and free antimalware program (Security Essentials), but nobody knows about it.

Basically, because they are so entrenched in the enterprise market, they will continue to do well. But they are terrible in the consumer market.

I think some of it has to do with the blogosphere's anti-Microsoft bias too. Blogs like TechCrunch etc rarely cover MS while reporting on every absurd Google/Apple rumor. Another good MS product is Live Sync which syncs across...everything.

But I agree. I used my friend's Zune once and was blown away by how good it is.

shingi70

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2010
Well Microsoft all ready has a cloud in place between the zune, PC, and Xbox 360. I'm able to share my media between my PC and Xbox.

Still i mainly use itunes.

Also Microst has the bussiness sector on lock and will strengthen that lock when they release a tablet computer.

KirkL

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
United States
Well Microsoft all ready has a cloud in place between the zune, PC, and Xbox 360. I'm able to share my media between my PC and Xbox.

Still i mainly use itunes.

Also Microst has the bussiness sector on lock and will strengthen that lock when they release a tablet computer.

What tablet? Didn't that thing get shelved a few months ago?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Office apps is another area where no on really holds a candle to MS. Sure there's openoffice and I actually use that on linux, but truth be told, the amount of scripting I can do with MS office, blows away any advantage openoffice may have. I've found that iWork is less flexible and has less options then office as well.

With that said, I can easily say that I absolutely abhor the ribbon and wish it would go away.

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
With that said, I can easily say that I absolutely abhor the ribbon and wish it would go away.

I HATE that goddamn ribbon too.
The first few times I used Office 2007 (Windows), I couldn't believe how awful that ribbon was. I had to customize the toolbar with every button I might use, so I'm okay now.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Office apps is another area where no on really holds a candle to MS. Sure there's openoffice and I actually use that on linux, but truth be told, the amount of scripting I can do with MS office, blows away any advantage openoffice may have. I've found that iWork is less flexible and has less options then office as well.

Once you get used to it the ribbon isn't actually that bad. Office 2011 for Mac is bringing in the ribbon so it will be on both Mac and Windows now.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
I think some of it has to do with the blogosphere's anti-Microsoft bias too. Blogs like TechCrunch etc rarely cover MS while reporting on every absurd Google/Apple rumor. Another good MS product is Live Sync which syncs across...everything.

But I agree. I used my friend's Zune once and was blown away by how good it is.

Go try a Zune HD and compare it to an iPod Touch. The Zune HD is a total joke of a device. Mine sits in my glove box, its probably completely dead now from sitting in a 100 degree car, and yet I don't even care. It sucks.

KirkL

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
United States
Go try a Zune HD and compare it to an iPod Touch. The Zune HD is a total joke of a device. Mine sits in my glove box, its probably completely dead now from sitting in a 100 degree car, and yet I don't even care. It sucks.

Isn't Zune HD more of a competitor to iPod Classic and Nano? I have a Nano but the Zune's pretty cool.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Isn't Zune HD more of a competitor to iPod Classic and Nano? I have a Nano but the Zune's pretty cool.

I view it as a iPod Touch competitor because:
  • It has a web browser
  • It has applications
  • Its touchscreen driven
  • Its original price point was the same as the iPod Touch

However due to what I assume are terrible sales the cost to buy the device has plummeted, the applications are pathetic and there are just as many as there were the day I purchased it, and the price of the device keeps dropping thus dropping the value of my device. It sucks, feels cheap, and does nothing besides play music. And its a lackluster music player due to the crap UI.

PerfSeeker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Better do YOUR research.

Microsoft MAKES MOST OF ITS MONEY only from windows and Office. They've failed at everything else in terms of returns on investment.

Agreed and this is where Ballmer has failed in the last decade, to bring new massive profit engines online. All he's done is maintain/grow the WinOffice juggernaut.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
MS isn't going anywhere soon because PCs are still a growth market despite the self-interested comments from SJ about them being trucks that few people will need. One million new PCs are sold every day and that number is growing.

However, I predict MS will be hurt by two things during the next year:

1. Kinect will not be nearly as successful as they think.
2. Windows Phone 7 will be an unmitigated failure

Heads will roll at MS by this time next year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.