Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
Right now all I've got with me is my USB2 cable and I really need to sync my iPod. My computer recognizes the iPod as a hard drive (and an iPod hard drive, at that), but it will not recognize it in iTunes. Do I really need to get my firewire cable (which is a hundred miles away right now) or is there something I can do to make it recognize USB.

I'm syncing from a Mac, obviously.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
what version of iPod? what version of iTunes? Mac?

i have a mini, latest iTunes and panther. i can sync no problem using a USB cable...

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
Mini, iTunes 4.7, 0S 10.3.3. I'm going to upgrade to 10.3.6 and see if it fixes anything.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
hmm... that's strange. i even have a rev. A PB, which only had USB1 and i was still able to sync ok with the USB cable included. (very slowly, of course...)

quit iTunes, plug in the mini and see if it launches. otherwise, launch iTunes yourself and see if the mini shows up. if it doesn't, hmm... check around preferences?

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
I tried everything, then my friend told me that Apple says you need 10.3.4 or later, so I upgraded to 10.3.6 (which is already giving me weird errors.)

Anyhow, it sort of worked, but said that I needed to plug the iPod into the wall (?) in order to sync. I don't know why so I gave up and borrowed a cable from someone down the hall.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
you might need to have the Mac plugged into the wall... that's a possibility because USB may not be set to supply enough power otherwise?

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
USB doesn't give enough power to power or charge iPods, while FireWire does. The warning from Apple was simply to warn you that the iPod would be running on battery power while syncing and could lose some of its data if its battery ran out of charge mid-sync.

The reason Apple didn't support USB 2 syncing via Mac was simply a selfish one - i.e. Apple invented FireWire and wants people to use that instead (same reason why Apple computers didn't get USB 2.0 ability until mid 2003 because Apple wanted USB2 to fail versus FireWire, but of course they eventually saw sense).

USB 2 ability was added to iPods in the first place to make them more attractive to PC users. This is because most PCs don't come with FireWire ports as standard (most Dells don't, for example). Eventually Apple saw sense and added USB 2.0 support for Macs with 10.3.4 which explains why it now works for you.

Normally, it is best to use FireWire because then you can charge the iPod while it is connected to your Mac. FireWire also has a faster sustained transfer speed even though USB 2.0 is theoretically faster at its peak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.