PDA

View Full Version : powerbook & 23" Cinema Display ?

nerd
Nov 21, 2004, 10:56 AM
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience using a powerbook with one of the new 23" displays?

I have a 15" pbook with the standard 64MB ATI Radeon 9700 and I want to make sure it has enough "horsepower" to drive a giant external display before I spend a big pile of cash on one.

I suspect it will all work fine, but I'd feel better if someone (other than an Apple Store salesperson) reassured me.

Thanks

MarksEvilTwin
Nov 21, 2004, 11:27 AM
Removed

_pb_boi
Nov 21, 2004, 12:49 PM
Heya,

There's a guy on this forum that uses a 15in Powerbook w/ a 23in cinema display. Do a search for something along those lines and you'll find his post. He has pics in the 'setups past and present' thread also.

I use a 12in Powerbook and 20in cinema display and have no problems. Expose is slower though, you can see some lag there. Apart from that, nothing. The fan comes on a lot quicker though.

Wouldn't change my setup for the world, love it!

andy.

erroneous
Nov 21, 2004, 01:23 PM
Does anyone have any experience using a powerbook with one of the new 23" displays?

Have run the new 23" display from my 12" 1GHz PB - works fine. Don't do it very often, as the panel is normally hooked up to my G5, but I haven't noticed any problems.

Enjoy the multi-screen goodness. :)

TLRedhawke
Nov 21, 2004, 01:28 PM
When a video card allows for dual outputs, it is built specifically so that it can handle it. The OS doesn't really take up that much video memory. It's mostly games, and graphics editing that uses it. So, I wouldn't try to run Halo dual screened, nor would I try to run Final Cut Pro, Motion, and DVD Studio Pro, and have a million effects open on each, but that's just common sense considering your processor, and system ram.

Bangkok is Hot
Nov 25, 2004, 02:22 AM
I bought a new 23 inch display to use at home with my 17 inch Powerbook. Absolute heaven. Same video card as in your model.

At first I had thought I'd get the display first, then follow with a G5. Upon using it, I have found no real need for a G5, as the PB is able to do everything I need, albeit perhaps a bit slow for video rendering...

No problems at all so far - my favorite purchase to date, really LOVE the 23 inch screen!