Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
im thinking that maybe there is going to be some sort of surprise notebook development, or something along those lines. i really have a hard time believe that apple would announce a new rev of the TiBook and then almost immediately discontinue it to add the combo drive...UNLESS...they had to do it in order to accomodate for a new product in the notebook/portable line that would make a noncombo TiBook an unbalanced part of the line.

just a farout speculation.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Tibook Rev

The Tibook presents a unique challenge in it's case size. The drive types are simply being upgraded as soon as they exist small enough for the case in a slot-load config. This is also why the same pattern has shown up with the slot-load iMacs.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
i still dont see them being that dumb with a new rev. they had to know the technology was that close. maybe a sudden development on a new product made this come.

i really feel like there is going to be something we have never really thought of at this show, and that it will be along the ultraportable lineage.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
trade offs

Design is a bitch. When you're ballancing cost, consumer wants, design limitations, innovation and aesthetics, timing is often the casualty to expediancy.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
these are the things i EXPECT being that apple is being so pompous.

flatpanel "iMac" (parenthetical due to pricepoint)
GHZ-level G4's
amazing video software (iMovie3?)

being that they are saying "beyond" the rumors, and being that apple is the way they are, i expect them to release something unheard of. therefore "beyond" would be more along the lines of "different" and less as "exceeding expectations along the same lines"

this is another reason i stick to a sub-to-mid notebook product intro that is truly different. while the iPod was indeed revolutionary and solid, it was not necessarily different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.