Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
If I install Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on a mac, after I boot into Windows 7, can I then run XP mode?

I would assume I could but I wanted to see if anyone else in here has accomplished this. I am an AutoCAD developer and need access to all 3 platforms for debugging and testing and I would really like to switch to an iMac as the only device I need.

Thanks,

troutspinner

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
If I install Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on a mac, after I boot into Windows 7, can I then run XP mode?
It works fine as long as you're booted to Windows using Boot Camp, not using Parallels or VMWare. Consider that CAD performance may not be adequate within Windows XP Mode as it's running as a virtual machine so graphics performance may be poor, but I'm not sure on that.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
It works fine as long as you're booted to Windows using Boot Camp, not using Parallels or VMWare. Consider that CAD performance may not be adequate within Windows XP Mode as it's running as a virtual machine so graphics performance may be poor, but I'm not sure on that.

You're much better off installing Windows XP directly in VMWare Fusion or Parallels - the performance is much better than that of Microsoft's VirtualPC (which is the VM behind Win 7's "XP Mode"). Even VirtualBox does a better job than VirtualPC/XP Mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.