Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emoin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
A little over two months ago I came home to find my iBook making very loud noises, and after trying to restart, it wouldn't boot up again. Tekserve examined it and determined that the problem was caused by a software corruption and there was nothing wrong with the drive, so they reformatted and did not replace the drive. Now I hear [much fainter] the same sounds, and I'm getting very nervous.

I'm afraid that if I restart or shut down my computer it will never come back on again, as the last time this happened. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm very scared.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
emoin said:
A little over two months ago I came home to find my iBook making very loud noises, and after trying to restart, it wouldn't boot up again. Tekserve examined it and determined that the problem was caused by a software corruption and there was nothing wrong with the drive, so they reformatted and did not replace the drive. Now I hear [much fainter] the same sounds, and I'm getting very nervous.

I'm afraid that if I restart or shut down my computer it will never come back on again, as the last time this happened. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm very scared.

Have you done ever done a Repair Permission?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/89736/

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
What sort of noise, specifically, are you hearing? Is the hard drive "grinding" (that is, the sound it usually makes when accessing data), but louder than usual, or just more than usual? Or is it a different sound--thunking, whining, or something else.

If it's grinding more than usual, but not louder, then the problem could well be software related, or indicate that the drive is VERY full (which can cause application problems if it's the startup drive, though you can usually still restart ok). If this is the case, see how much free space you have--a memory leak or something writing a berserk log to disk or something similar may be the problem.

If it's grinding, but definitely louder than normal, I'd back up your important stuff RIGHT NOW (which, really, you should do anyway, even if there's nothing at all wrong).

If the sound is something else, like whining or loud thunking, you could well be in trouble, although a reformat rarely if ever fixes that sort of problem for more than a few hours, so it seems unlikely. In this case also backup right away, and maybe you should look for a new drive.

If you have AppleCare, run Techtool on it and see what it tells you. You could also try opening up Disk Utility and seeing if it says "S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified" down at the bottom when you select the drive. If says something other than "Verified" (or nothing, which it says when it just can't read the drive), you're definitely in trouble. Or try the Apple Hardware Test CD that came with the computer--it has some chance of telling you something useful.

In all cases, only after a backup. ALWAYS backup.

emoin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2003
Makosuke said:
If it's grinding more than usual, but not louder, then the problem could well be software related, or indicate that the drive is VERY full (which can cause application problems if it's the startup drive, though you can usually still restart ok). If this is the case, see how much free space you have--a memory leak or something writing a berserk log to disk or something similar may be the problem.

Thank you very much. I have a little over 3.5 GB free on my 30 GB drive, so I'm guessing that the space isn't a problem, but is it possible that using the computer for too long with too many applications running at once could cause that? I used it for the entire day yesterday, but after leaving it idling [though not asleep] all day today the sound has stopped.

ezkirk

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2004
Hong Kong
speaking from bad experience...

BACK UP YOUR WORK NOW!!!

Even if it is a software issue. I'm sat staring at 35gb worth of unamed files after recovering them from my 2nd HD failure. Back up, back up, then back up.

My HD made noises like it was grinding. If you can remember when you were a kid and you had something stuck in your mud guards so that your tire made a grinding/rubbing noise. If you hear that noise get a new drive.

Is it an Apple drive, Seagate or an IBM?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.