PDA

View Full Version : Mac vs. Xbox - Max Payne

coolocity
Aug 19, 2002, 12:18 PM
Well, I own both a M$ heXbox and a 17" iMac :p I was wondering if anyone has played max payne for both platforms and could tell me which one they prefer. I would think playing Xbox with a controller would help.. which leads me to another question...

Any nice controllers for macs that work well with OS X? Hmmm, another question..

Max Payne runs in OS X, right?

Looking forward to what you guys have to say..

Oh yeha... ;) Anyone know if Wolfenstein requires a CD key? :whistles:

- John

Chaszmyr
Aug 19, 2002, 12:39 PM
Well console games always have a certain feel to them that you just cant get from a computer for some reason... but playing a console game also pulls me into the other room and i hate not being near my comp! So even though i LOVE my mac and HATE Xbox i would probably say its better on Xbox...
(It was however a rush to play maxpayne on my 22'' cinema display :-) )

MacMaster
Aug 19, 2002, 12:47 PM
I would get it for the Mac because of these two words: Keyboard and mouse!:D

bousozoku
Aug 19, 2002, 01:23 PM
Max Payne is Mac OS X compatible but I haven't played it yet. I bought Return to Castle Wolfenstein instead. That doesn't require the CD key for single player, but multi-player requires it.

coolocity
Aug 20, 2002, 07:33 AM
Got Max Payne for me iMac yesterday.. it uses the 1440 by 900 resolution for a great widescreen picture.. You just can't get that on an xbox, much smoother.

- John

irmongoose
Aug 20, 2002, 07:55 AM
If it was anything but Xbox, say... Gamecube, or PS 2, I would say those, but I friggin HATE the controller on the Xbox, so friggin hard to use.. so I would say your Mac.

irmongoose

TheCat
Aug 20, 2002, 08:22 AM
i totally agree with u - if anyone ever gets the chance, then a console game is always better, esp with driving games.
The only time this doesn't apply, and i do mean the only time, is with fps. The Doom genre is always best on Mac/PC, maybe it's the better res or newer gfx cards coming out, or maybe just the keybd/mouse combination? ohh i dunno... :)

Anyway, get the Mac version :D
Steve

Originally posted by Chaszmyr
Well console games always have a certain feel to them that you just cant get from a computer for some reason... but playing a console game also pulls me into the other room and i hate not being near my comp! So even though i LOVE my mac and HATE Xbox i would probably say its better on Xbox...
(It was however a rush to play maxpayne on my 22'' cinema display :-) )

PyroTurtle
Aug 20, 2002, 09:01 AM
Max Payne is way better on the mac!

i use a mac ally iShock II (great for most games sence it's a PS2 rip off) and another old no name controller (flight sims and SNES games), and both work in OSX...

i only have my PS2 for PS1 games (no OSX emulator) and FFX (and XI, etc)

the mac edition also supports updates and some cool multiplayer features...and bullet time is way smoother

noht*
Aug 20, 2002, 09:52 AM
i totally agree with u - if anyone ever gets the chance, then a console game is always better, esp with driving games.
The only time this doesn't apply, and i do mean the only time, is with fps.

you don't mean that, do you?
have you ever played, say, flight simulators, strategy games, adventures or even plain old SimWhatever on a console? if you have, you'll probably admit that they mostly suck big time. i don't intend in any way to say that consoles aren't any good for gaming - in fact, i own quite a few (anyone remembers the atari lynx? ;)) -, but i think they're best suited for arcade games, RPGs, jump'n'runs (does this genre still exist at all...?) and the like. also, some games are virtually unplayable without a mouse, despite nintendo, sony et al telling you otherwise (take command and conquer for the sega saturn as an example - it's horrible).

just some thoughts

noht

bousozoku
Aug 20, 2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by TheCat
The only time this doesn't apply, and i do mean the only time, is with fps. The Doom genre is always best on Mac/PC, maybe it's the better res or newer gfx cards coming out, or maybe just the keybd/mouse combination? ohh i dunno... :)

Anyway, get the Mac version :D
Steve

Doom itself was much better on Atari Jaguar than anything else. Movement was so unbelievably fast and smooth. The controller was a bit big with the numeric keypad, but they're all kinda awkward for me.

whiskeybravo
Aug 20, 2002, 11:11 AM
Can't comment on game play vs onsole, but I have a really nice Gravis gamepad with dual sticks, dual pads and buttons galore. I'm not a major gamer but it has a nice feel and seems to work very well. I think it is the aftershock or something like that. The "Rumble" doesn't work on the mac, which seems to be typical.

I have no idea if this will work in OSX. I'm waiting patiently for my new 17" iMac to arrive to test it :D

TheCat
Aug 21, 2002, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by noht*
The only time this doesn't apply, and i do mean the only time, is with fps.

you don't mean that, do you?
have you ever played, say, flight simulators, strategy games, adventures or even plain old SimWhatever on a console? if you have, you'll probably admit that they mostly suck big time. i don't intend in any way to say that consoles aren't any good for gaming - in fact, i own quite a few (anyone remembers the atari lynx? ;)) -, but i think they're best suited for arcade games, RPGs, jump'n'runs (does this genre still exist at all...?) and the like. also, some games are virtually unplayable without a mouse, despite nintendo, sony et al telling you otherwise (take command and conquer for the sega saturn as an example - it's horrible).

just some thoughts

noht

sorry never thought about the adventure games or flightsims... prob cos i only play arcade-type games i guess (i need stress relief!):)
But i standby wot i said (barring the flightsim/adventure types) :) Cos i do prefer a PS2 or GameCube above even the Mac and esp the PC... ESP for driving games.

Never playing C&C on the Saturn, but this is a class example of decent fighting and driving games that are best on an (old) console. Hey, you try playing Cannon Fodder using the Atari Jaguar's joypad - wow will this hurt after 15mins of play!! :rolleyes:

TheCat
Aug 21, 2002, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by bousozoku

Doom itself was much better on Atari Jaguar than anything else. Movement was so unbelievably fast and smooth. The controller was a bit big with the numeric keypad, but they're all kinda awkward for me.

You're prob going of memory now from years ago, right? I doubt you'd think the same if u played it again..?? (compared to similar/older machines, i mean).
Anyway, i've still got the Jag Doom (two copies actually and three Jags.. but we won't go into that now!!;) ). Anyway, PSX Doom is better, and Saturn/3DO Doom are far worse..
Overall, MacDoom is best imo and Doom Legacy just makes it even better (kinda like PSX doom for the colour and overall look of the game).
all imo of course :D

bousozoku
Aug 21, 2002, 06:25 AM
As much as I like Playstation games, I get tired of waiting for them to load something every 5 seconds. Give me my Jaguar any day. Sure, I'll use Mac versions of practically everything since then because it's more convenient. (For some reason, Jaguar game development has dropped off the map :D).

<waits for screaming people who didn't read that we're talking about Atari Jaguar>

TheCat
Aug 21, 2002, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by bousozoku
As much as I like Playstation games, I get tired of waiting for them to load something every 5 seconds. Give me my Jaguar any day. Sure, I'll use Mac versions of practically everything since then because it's more convenient. (For some reason, Jaguar game development has dropped off the map :D).

<waits for screaming people who didn't read that we're talking about Atari Jaguar>

:)
it's all down2 personal pref in the end, isn't it.. I love the Jag & PSX and have tons of games for them both, but as far as Doom is concerned - PS Doom eats JagDoom alive (imho) :p

Anyway, back to the GameCube & G4 Mac (enough talk of those old dogs) :D

Draft
Aug 26, 2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by MacMaster
I would get it for the Mac because of these two words: Keyboard and mouse!:D

I totally agree. I've now played it on the mac and the xBox and the mac is 50 times easier to control. The mouse is so much easier and more accurate to control then the 2 game sticks on any gamepad. Also, with the extra buttons on the keyboard, you can easily assign all of your action keys.

Another big thing is expansion. You can't have any mods or ad-ons to the console game.

Draft

aznatari
Aug 31, 2002, 08:00 PM
I would definitly consider playing Max Payne on ur Mac rather than on ur XBOX because the controls are way easier to control with the keyboard and ur mouse. You don't have to bother using that bulky controler for 1st person shooter games. In addition, you have the 17" widescreen iMac with a gForce 4 MX Graphics Card. The game will also absolutely look polished on the 17" flat panal. Hope this helps.

atari