Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

racepres

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
central Michigan
I need either guidance or told to simply forget it. Have a couple of Pwr mac's and a pwr book 1400 all w/ sonnet G3 cards. Got a unlicensed copy of OS 9.1 like this http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfmID=5913&Item=APLOS91CD
But of course it says imac on it and I think that is what it means ... not just any old upgraded G3 ... I may as well have put a 9.2.2 CD in it..... Should I just blow it off or am I indeed doing something wrong??

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Are you getting an error? Or is it crashing? You haven't been very specific as to what the problem is.

racepres

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
central Michigan
OOPs

:eek: Sorry bout that ... It will allow me to boot fm the CDrom but the software installers dont work The message is " This software cannot run on your computer see documentation" so what the hey I goes to the Software installers/ system Software and try that installer... msg is " Install system software requires version 4,5,3 of the installer app." and " Please try opening the installer app. that is inthe same folder as this installer doc." Well I cant find nothin' like that!!! All that's in there is morsels, extras and installation tome... What do ya think?? Oh! There is "net boot disk image pieces" will that do me any good?? Thanks again for the help and or guidance... Marty
Just noticed the link don't work (versions are different so maybe that is key!!)
http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=5913&Item=APLOS91CD

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
racepres said:
... It will allow me to boot fm the CDrom but the software installers dont work The message is " This software cannot run on your computer see documentation" ...

In my experience, that message has always been bad news.

For example, in the past I tried using my iBooks OS 9 CDs to install 9 on other machines, and got the same errors message. Going off on a limb here, perhaps Apple does that on purpose :confused:

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
5300cs said:
In my experience, that message has always been bad news.

For example, in the past I tried using my iBooks OS 9 CDs to install 9 on other machines, and got the same errors message. Going off on a limb here, perhaps Apple does that on purpose :confused:

No, the dont want you to give out Your restore CD's to use on all You and Your freinds computers?? Those cheap...

racepres

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
central Michigan
check this

decided to put the disk image onto a cdrom (burned it) and boot fm that!!! Just exactly like ya took a HDD fm a imac and tossed it in a power pc .... very unhappy software... this disk obviously says imac on it for a reason.....Oh well ... who out there needs an imac disk set???? Or the heck w/ it as cheap as old imac's are I'll just get one .. hmmmm wonder what flavor (color) the "evil half" would like???? LOL Thanks for the replys and if anyone happens upon a "new" method pls keep us posted... Marty :cool:

Santaduck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Honolulu
for a mild fee, perhaps the apple genius bar at your local ARS will do it for you. I assume they would keep a nice library of old disks.

Otherwise, if you purchased that disk legally, the EULA might technically allow you to search the internet for a download of a more compatible version. Not sure on that though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.