PDA

View Full Version : %%%WTB a G5 powermac or G5 imac

minkis
Nov 21, 2004, 08:28 PM
i'm looking for a decent powermac or imac G5 to use for video editing and gaming b/c my ibook can't cut it. i bascially only need a few things
-a super drive
-512mb of ram
-at least a 64mb graphics card
-a 80 gb or bigger hard drive
-and to be in good condition
-possibly a screen if you have a powermac
i have about $1600-$1700 to spend and if you have a powermac its alittle less b/c i need money to buy a screen. feel free to post you offers here or email them to me. and if they are just a little out of the suggested range post them anyway and i might just raise the price. thanks

blackfox
Nov 21, 2004, 08:52 PM
You know, I hear a company called "Apple" sells these newfangled Powermacs and such, with warranties and all. they also have refurbished units w/ a discount.

Sorry to be Captain Obvious here, but your budget fits quite a few machines, new or refurbished direct from Apple or from many other reputable online retailers.

slooksterPSV
Nov 21, 2004, 09:06 PM
ooo apple might still have the REG price 1499 imac for 1299 in the refurb section

minkis
Nov 22, 2004, 07:51 PM
it might fit that for an imac but probaly not a powermac unless i got a really crappy screen, and the whole reason i put it on here is to see if there are some slightly used cheaper computers so i can save money and i would have thought that would have been understanded but apparently not. thanks

Sun Baked
Nov 22, 2004, 08:21 PM
it might fit that for an imac but probaly not a powermac unless i got a really crappy screen, and the whole reason i put it on here is to see if there are some slightly used cheaper computers so i can save money and i would have thought that would have been understanded but apparently not. thanksNah, the people here are all greedy and want as much money as they can get for their hardware.

If you want something really cheap, there's always the stuff that was discounted 100% to the current owner or just fell off the truck and ended up on eBay.

blackfox
Nov 22, 2004, 08:23 PM
it might fit that for an imac but probaly not a powermac unless i got a really crappy screen, and the whole reason i put it on here is to see if there are some slightly used cheaper computers so i can save money and i would have thought that would have been understanded but apparently not. thanks
I understand your reasoning, I did not mean to flippant. You did not specify which machine you had a preference for (iMac or PM) and as you noted, the iMacs fit within your budget.

As for PMs, I just thought you'd be better off going through vendors than forum sales, although I am sure many machines offered by private parties will still have (transferable) AppleCare.

As for your monitor situation, you should probably buy a cheap(er) CRT monitor for now, as factoring in the price of a decent sized LCD screen puts the amount of money you can spend on a G5 PM at or under $1000, which is difficult to manage. If you insist on an LCD screen, w.in your budget, only the original G5 PM 1.6 will make it close, being found online for around $1100-1200. Or an iMac which comes with a screen (of course).

If you are wanting to game on your Mac, the iMac may not be the best choice, and even if you get an older G5 PM, you will probably have to upgrade the Video Card, which will cost you (at least it can be done).

I am sure you are aware of all this.

Here is a link to LowEndMac's G5 deal page. It is not always current, but will give you an idea of where to look and what pricepoints to expect.
http://lowendmac.com/ppc/g5deals.html

If you have already looked, then I guess good luck finding a seller w/in this forum, you never know...

lacrossegoalie4
Nov 23, 2004, 01:18 PM
I noticed the for-sale on the ibook in your signature. Do you have an asking price for it? I was planning on getting one from Apple refurb + educational discount for $850-900. If you are interested in selling for less, I may be interested. :)

minkis
Nov 23, 2004, 05:17 PM
pm'd you lacrossegoalie4 ,

as for everyone else thanks for the help, but i am wondering if a 1280 by 1024 lcd is too low of a resolution, if not then i might be able to get that and a single 1.8 powermac, and if my family comes through for christmas i might be able to upgrade thing such as the video card and ram. or i can go ahead and buy the powermac and use my parents' scrren for a few days after christmas until i get some money then i can buy a better screen. thanks, keep the ideas and hopefully the offers coming

minkis
Nov 26, 2004, 06:05 PM
come on there have to be some people out there with imacs and powermacs like i want, post some offers.

does anyone know when the powermac updates are coming. thanks

minkis
Dec 8, 2004, 09:00 PM
make me some offers i need one really bad