PDA

View Full Version : next computer?

jefhatfield
Aug 19, 2002, 12:29 PM
i plan on replacing my three year old ibook with an emac or another ibook...that's all i need for my purposes

no poll option, i wonder why?:)

MacMaster
Aug 19, 2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
no poll option, i wonder why?:)
Yep! That was you jef:D

As for the computer just get one of the new ibooks. The screen size and the Mhz are your call...

bousozoku
Aug 19, 2002, 01:19 PM
The poll machine is resting after its overuse.

I would definitely pick the iBook unless you need to do heavy graphics (how much do they weigh?) work or sound encoding--things that take advantage of the G4 processor.

With plenty of memory, the iBook is quite capable.

Mr. Anderson
Aug 19, 2002, 01:31 PM
i plan on replacing my three year old ibook with an emac or another ibook...that's all i need for my purposes

when do you plan on buying? You might want to see what happens in September with MWParis. But if you wait even longer, till early next year, you might even get a G4 in the iBook - if the Power4 or next gen chip comes out for the towers. But that might be too long a wait.

What MHz are you running now?

D

topicolo
Aug 19, 2002, 01:48 PM
I'm thinking the highest speed any G4 ibook or powerbook would reach is 1Ghz, since that's the fastest G4 that moto still produces. Apple won't be able to overclock G4s in their laptops because they would have no way to cool them down effectively with air (could use water cooling) and they would draw too much power.

Over Achiever
Aug 19, 2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by topicolo
I'm thinking the highest speed any G4 ibook or powerbook would reach is 1Ghz, since that's the fastest G4 that moto still produces. Apple won't be able to overclock G4s in their laptops because they would have no way to cool them down effectively with air (could use water cooling) and they would draw too much power.

Water cooling sucks up much more power than an overclocked CPU...just think, instread of pushing air, you're pushing coolant! They might as well release the dual pb, and have a batt life of 10 minutes!:D

jefhatfield
Aug 19, 2002, 09:18 PM
g4 ibook - yup, i would wait, i just don't trust motorola to get it in with enough quantities and ibm is an unknown factor right now beyond the sahara mobile g3 chip with that sexy amount of level 2 cache...512k baby!

G5orbust
Aug 19, 2002, 09:28 PM
just get an ibook w/ lots of ram (512) and the 14.1 inch screen. That should make u happy.

jefhatfield
Aug 19, 2002, 09:45 PM
with my ibook with a 300 mhz g3 processor, 256k level 2 cache, and 160 MB of RAM running os 9.0;

...a 600 mhz ibook with 12 inch screen an only 256 mb of ram would make me jump for joy

and at more than a pound and a half lighter, i could jump much higher;)

G5orbust
Aug 19, 2002, 09:47 PM
with my ibook with a 300 mhz g3 processor, 256k level 2 cache, and 160 MB of RAM running os 9.0;

...a 600 mhz ibook with 12 inch screen an only 256 mb of ram would make me jump for joy

and at more than a pound and a half lighter, i could jump much higher;)

Go for it! But i suggest not jumping around w/ ur ibook. U might drop it!;) :p

jefhatfield
Aug 19, 2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by G5orbust

Go for it! But i suggest not jumping around w/ ur ibook. U might drop it!;) :p

and my old ibook had no video out, no firewire, and only one usb port

...oh, and i have a 3 gb hard drive vs the new ibook's 20 gb hard drive or larger

but i will wait thru september to see what is up since i am in no hurry

it amazes me how some power users can barely keep a machine one year, but most models of anything mac usually goes thru two revamps in twelve months

in the three years since i got my 300 ibook/32/3 gig model, i have seen;

upgrade to 64 mb ram, 6 gig hard drive
upgrade to special edition with 366 mhz g3
upgrade to firewire and 466 mhz se model
upgrade to 500 mhz g3 and two usb ports
upgrade to 600 mhz g3
upgrade to 700 mhz g3 with 14" screen on top end

that's three years and six significant upgrades

Hemingray
Aug 19, 2002, 11:00 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, jef. After several years of faithful use out of my tangerine clamshell, I'm definitely beginning to tire of its bulkiness, OS 9, no firewire, no DVDs, and no CD-RW! (Oh, and not to mention that three keys no longer work. :rolleyes: )

I'm going to wait to see what the next round of iBooks looks like before I take the plunge.

Hemingray
Aug 19, 2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by G5orbust
just get an ibook w/ lots of ram (512) and the 14.1 inch screen. That should make u happy.

If only that were possible... it's either 384 or 640. Since the 128MB is built-in, you either have the option for another 128, 256, or 512 in the SO-DIMM. Which none of those, of course, makes a total of 512.

384 is an additional $150, whereas 640 is an additional $400! ( :eek: )

I know, I know, never buy extra memory from Apple. Even so, a 512 SO-DIMM from a place like crucial.com is still $212. It's not horrible, but it's certainly not chicken feed, either.

[EDIT: memorytogo.com has a 512 chip for $115! Sweet. :cool: ]