Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djniche

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
DC
If you had the money to get one of this two computers which would you buy and why?

What are the advantages of both systems ?
Which one would you get??

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
867 Dual PM, why? MUCH more power and can be upgraded/expanded.
Allthough the 17" iMac does look cool, and of course you get a (VERY nice) screen with that which you would have to buy extra to a PM.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
The iMac is the better value... even though the PM is nicer, it costs alot more

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
The iMac is the better value... even though the PM is nicer, it costs alot more

What?????

The Dual 867 is cheaper than the 17" iMac;)

At any rate.... to anwser your question(This should be a no brainer!!) I would get the Dual 867;) Why? Because it is expandiable and Faster!!!!!!!!Besides, the Superdrive is slower and not worth the price, unless you have a REAL need for it ;)

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Originally posted by xrhajj

What?????

The Dual 867 is cheaper than the 17" iMac;)

At any rate.... to anwser your question(This should be a no brainer!!) I would get the Dual 867;) Why? Because it is expandiable and Faster!!!!!!!!Besides, the Superdrive is slower and not worth the price, unless you have a REAL need for it ;)

By value he means it comes w/ a screen and is a little more expensive ( but not as expensive as a dual 867 w/ a 17 inch screen)

But i'd have to go w/ the dual 867. Ull like it better and the PCI slots and the user changeable graphics card (cuz the geforce 4 Mx w/ 32 mb just sucks) will help you in the future.

get the dual 867 on apple.com and customize it w/ a better graphics card, a little more ram and (if you dont have an apple store near you), get a LCD also v17 inch is the best out of them all) Also, get a superdrive if you really want one. I'd stick w/ the combo drive and get a compy of toast titanuim. You can burn VCDs and are a lot more cost efficeint tahn a dvd and burn much faster.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
i tihnk the main concensus aroun here is the 867. U might think about getting an "old" 933 or dual 1 gig machine also. They're probably pretty cheap now that the new PMs are here. Just wait like a month or two and see.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
don't buy your ram from apple...there are a lot of better deals out there that you can get...unless you are a power user and really really need the best ram then get the apple ram since it is made with more quality and a little kiss from stevie...jk

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
If you were just looking to surf the internet, play some music, and play a few games, I'd say the iMac right away. It's a great value. If you want to do something more creative, the tower is better. Sooner or later, more creative applications will be dual processor and AltiVec compatible so the tower's going to be more useful overall.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
don't buy your ram from apple...there are a lot of better deals out there that you can get...unless you are a power user and really really need the best ram then get the apple ram since it is made with more quality and a little kiss from stevie...jk

o yeah, hehehehehe. i forgot about that. Guess ive been spending too much time in the apple.com store configuring my own dream machine. Yea, skip the thing i said about the ram. Go to circuit city (the cheapest ram ive seen in awhile) or any other electronics store and buy some. Ull be glad u did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.