PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook not sleeping

raincoat
Nov 22, 2004, 04:09 AM
I am having trouble with my PowerBook G4. When i simply close the lid it doesn't always go to sleep. I bought a belkin 4 way usb port recently, could this be the cause? When i shut the lid, and it doesn't go to sleep, ie the little light doesn't flash, and then i open it up again, the screen is black and i can't use the powerbook so i have to hold down the power key to shut it down.

Also, my hard drive is forever wizzing away, even when i am doing nothing on the powerbook, is this normal. It just starts up and then stops after a while, they are so noisy!!!!!!

Any help would be gratefully received :confused:

lazyboy922
Nov 22, 2004, 10:59 AM
have you recently installed any ram? I bought bad ram and had similar sleeping problems. I also was getting kernal errors as well. other than that, i cant help ya, sorry!

raincoat
Nov 22, 2004, 11:07 AM
No new Ram as of yet and no keral errors, allthough i am looking to upgrade soon with an extra 1GB stick. Cheers anyway :)

jxyama
Nov 22, 2004, 11:35 AM
if you shut the lid before letting some apps or peripherals "settle" down a bit, it can do that. (i.e. black screen, does not sleep, need to restart...)

for example, if you quit a large, heavy program but shut the lid before it's really done quitting, this happens.

also, if you plug in any peripherals (such as a hub) and shut the lid without letting it be detected all the way through, so to speak, by the OS X, this happens.

i guess my suggestion is to let things be calm a bit before you close the lid... it's been working for me.

emw
Nov 22, 2004, 11:57 AM
In addition to the software stuff jxyama was discussing, the PowerBook will generally be awakened by any activity on the USB hub. So if you put it to sleep, then unplug or plug in a USB device, it will often wake up. If you close the lid while USB activity is ongoing, it may prevent sleep. Or result in the black screen.

I simply unplug everything then close the lid, and I haven't had any problems recently. Although sometimes, if I close the lid, then pick up the PB and accidentally open the lid before it's all the way asleep, I occasionally get strange behavior (such as the black screen).

kasei
Nov 22, 2004, 12:24 PM
I have been having the same problem with my PowerBook. I don't have any external drives hooked up to it. It started after the last couple of OS X updates. Check your permissions. Every so often they get screwed up and the problem with putting the system to sleep shows up again.

petercw2
Nov 29, 2004, 06:58 AM
Oddly enough my PB12" will sleep if I close the lid, but will NOT go to sleep as instructed for a period of time inactive. It has always preformed this perfectly until recently. Also the PB's fan is seemingly running more often than normal. I have repaired permissions and done a HD check via Disc Warrior and Disc Utility.