PDA

View Full Version : Video card for G5 + CRT/ADC monitors

Huntertitus
Nov 22, 2004, 05:40 AM
Since posting the message below I have beed advised that the only thing to do is buy a different video card. I went to the new applestore on Regent Street and a man with ginger hair told me he runs 2 screens identical to mine on a G5 but couldn't remember which card it was. Does anyone out there know which card will run my monitors and how to change them over (i.e. can I do it myserlf or do I have to pay someone)

I have a G5 powermac with an Nvidia 6800 graphics card - the one that comes with 2 DVI outputs and not an ADC one - I bought 2 apple monitors on ebay - the ones that are transparent (Apple Studio Display Model M7768) but even though I have the DVI to ADC adapter which plugs into the mains, I get no picture on the screen at all. I can switch the computer on and off and to standby using the on off button on the display but the screen remains black. I don't think the computer is at fault because I tried a friends flat screen with it and it worked fine.

(Since posting the original message I have had the monitors and the dvi - ADC adapter checked by a genuine apple reseller/repairer and they work fine with G4 computers)

If anyone answers this please be assured I have not made any mistakes on which ports/plugs are on my equipment - some of the answers I got on the last thread said things that were technically inaccurate

wrldwzrd89
Nov 22, 2004, 05:55 AM
In theory, any Mac graphics card with an ADC connector manufactured after the monitor was is pretty much guaranteed to work. Newer Mac graphics cards that lack ADC connectors should also work with an adapter like the one you have. I'm not too familiar with the different Apple Studio Display models, so I couldn't tell you which graphics cards fit the description I gave.

cluthz
Nov 22, 2004, 07:02 AM
The Apple 17-inch ADC display (the crt version), has a very special ADC connector.
Usually ADC is DVI with USB and power, but that monitor has VGA with USB and power.. I don't know if it possible to use with a DVI only videocard.

This ONLY applies to that monitor..

Jo-Kun
Nov 22, 2004, 07:15 AM
I know those ADC CRT's... they are nice but bug a lot of people.

a client of mine had 2 of those screens, but then later he switched to 23" Cinema Displays... sold one of the crt's with an old G4, and thought: lets connect the CRT to his Xserve... Xserves have only VGA output, so get this vga/adc box people use to connect any ADC display to an older Powermac/Powerbook...

well it worked when he attached one of the 23" Cinema displays onto the Xserve... but didn't work on the crt... he searched the FAQ about this vga->ADC adaptor: support any ADC display with exception of the crt Studio Displays...

didn't say why...

so I guess unless you have a genuine ADC connector: Hard luck!

but it mght just work with a DVI->ADC adaptor... not sure, really not sure...

Huntertitus
Nov 22, 2004, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the info you people know who you are!

I have decided to simply order a new cinema display at huge cost and I am sure I will sell the 2 CRT monitors at a hideous loss on ebay or somewhere
as it seems stupid to downgrade the videocard

If any of you are in London, England email me and you can take them off my hands at a bargain price!

cluthz
Nov 22, 2004, 08:35 AM

I have decided to simply order a new cinema display at huge cost and I am sure I will sell the 2 CRT monitors at a hideous loss on ebay or somewhere

If any of you are in London, England email me and you can take them off my hands at a bargain price!

You don't need to buy a apple monitor.
Those cinemas are really expensive, but thay also looks great and are very good.
Any monitor with dvi would work.

jackieonasses
Nov 22, 2004, 08:41 AM

If any of you are in London, England email me and you can take them off my hands at a bargain price!Why would it be such a loss? i am sure you will sell them for just about as much on ebay. Didn't you buy them off of ebay? it shouldn't depreciate that much.