Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manfrotto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Started this thread because the iWalk thread is getting way to long and I think the important point here is to disprove the video. Why, because the best way to prove something is true is to try and disprove it. Only when there is no way to disprove something can you know that it is real.

That being said, I feel pretty confident that this is a fake. There are too many discrepencies in the video to make it real. Mainly because the only time the "iWalk" is being moved around is when it is off. When the system is finally turned on (right after a cut scene I might add) it is SOLIDLY placed on the desk and the hands that are using it seem to be acting VERY careful not to bump or move the unit while it is "on". This would make for a much easier mock up of a fake OS using some fairly basic video technics, maybe even as simple as a blue screen were the "real screen" is supposed to be. Also, during the sayhello.mov the hand is positioned so that you can't see the actual tip of the pen touching the screen, again this would make it much easier to mock up since keeping the pen tip and the drawing on the screen in sync with eachother would be a bit more difficult then just completly hiding it from the viewer. Now if that unit was getting picked up and moved around while on and the sayhello.mov showed the actual tip of the pen writing on the screen it would make for a much more convincing video. That's not to say it wouldn't be possible to mock up a video with it doing those things but it would take a considerable amount of time and know how of some higher end video editing software to do (something most hoaxers don't bother with). I would estimate a hoax like this one wouldn't take no more then a half hour to do with some basic video equipment and skills. Also it was pointed out to me that on the bootup.mov at 7 secs 8 frames in there is a jump cut edit - you can tell because the jog-wheel in a single frame is in an entirely new position while rotating and the person's finger jumps from below the dial to above the dial (or jog wheel).

One of my collegues who works in a post production house noticed a couple other things as well. here are his comments which after rewatching the footage I agree completly with

Here's another observation - on the sayhello.mov if you look at the top of the quicktime movie you'll see a whiteish line, very typical of untouched up video, at the point that the hand writing turns into text the whiteline disappears and doesn't reappear until the hand stops writing on the screen. Another indication of a touch-up job.
The white line is a cut at the beginning of the movie and is a dissolve at the end of the movie.... video glitches NEVER dissolve themselves onto the screen. It's fake. Also in the upper left of the quicktime movie you can see a black underscore mark blinking on and off throughout the movie - in fact it changes position over the course of the movie. The underscore perfectly matches the cursor on the iWalk screen. Whoever SFX this did a poor job of masking the cursor layer and left a little bit of it floating outside of the unit on the upper portion of the screen - everytime the cursor moves the phantom underscore moves.

I hate to see people miss these important points and hoepfully being the head message will grab more peoples attention instead of getting swamped in the iWalk thread. You should be able to verify these discrepencies on your own video. They aren't that hard to see if you look a little more closely.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Bravo!

Well done. It pains me for people to get so excited about a product Apple has no interest in manufacturing.
Steve Jobs: "There will be no Apple PDA"
Believe it. If Apple does a sub-notebook, envision "note-pad" rather than "notebook" NOT, I repeat, NOT a PDA.

BurntCalc

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
Tucson
Well, here's another interesting point. Apple has been going way out of their way to squash leaks before they happen. The biggest tell-tale sign this is a hoax is the fact that Apple has not presented Spymac with a cease and desist order to pull the iWalk info from their pages.

Now, if they did... that would be something.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
why do you need apda when most people would rather have a laptop
plus you get more in a laptop anyway

manfrotto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Glad

Burntcalc, that's another excellent point. If people don't realize that this is a hoax by now for all the above reasons then there is no hope until the Expo when they don't announce an iWalk much to the dissapointment of those that couldn't see through the obvious reasons.

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
sayhello.mov

notice that the lines in the display slightly move around while the hand is writing... concentrate on that... as if the surface is flexing slightly... but the actual GUI sure as hell wouldn't flex or move at all...

man, i was really excited by this thing ;(

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
bootup.mov

anyone else notice that this guy is barely touching the unit at all... presses a button with a few molocules of the finger to turn it on. with a pda, when you press a button, you really need to press it.... so that you don't have it misfire on you while using it.

manfrotto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
He's really soft touching it. I think a lot of that has to do with the video FX if he moves it around to much then the video would not "sit" correctly in the screen area and it would have been dubbed a fake immediately even by the most non-discerning eye. The fact that the GUI is not steady when he is writing on it really proves this.

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
it's a bad comp job.
it's butt ugly.
it's a backstage pass to the trash can, not to the future.

manfrotto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
True True

You said it, bad bad bad bad bad. But apparently good enough to fool the general public

B

Beej

Someone has gone to a lot of trouble to do this. I can't believe that they would make so many mistakes! Probably the most obvious are the unnatural jumping of the text in sayhello, and the very dodgy turning of the Apple logo in bootup (frame by frame it @ 7 secs).

Because someone has actually made this thing and then edited the GUI onto it, the photos of the machine look very real. These pictures - IMHO - would have caused much more of a stir had the videos not been released - I haven't heard anyone attempt to prove the photos are fake, but there's overwhelming evidence that the movies are fake. (If you don't agree, look harder!)

All I"m really saying is that putting in this much work (pics and videos) has made the hoax less believable than it would have been had less work been put in (just pics).

Just one more observation. A tiny little more work on the videos would have made them much more realistic (especially if the movies were lower quality - they could have said it was for "bandwidth reasons" - no one would have a problem with that). It's strange that so much effort went into making the actual machine, but there are so many glaring errors in the video work.

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Previous iWalk hoax

In addition to the observations of the dodgy video above, I'd like to point out that SpyMac posted a picture of a completely different looking iWalk, which they later admitted as a fake... They have no credibility. Secondly, Apple would never release something SO UGLY - just look at that scroll wheel. Thirdly, Apple would put an OS X looking OS in it especially if it was a color monitor (as shown in video).

UGLY UGLY UGLY
FAKE FAKE FAKE

manfrotto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Pics only

I think your absolutely right.. it would have made it much harder to determine the validity of the machine if they would have stuck just with pics but in the world we live in people want more and more proof. And with the technology that is avaible it is harder to deny the public what they want. I had not heard about the first pic that they admitedly said it was a fake. I hope nobody ever takes stock in what spymac has to say again. Oh well, I'm sure they have just been laughing this whole thing up enjoying themselves.... unless they were truly duped too but some how I doubt that.

amichalo

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2001
Why? and What then?

So it the iWalk is a fake, which I believe, there are many unanswered questions:

(1) Why go to the trouble to build the Hardware? Were they able to get their hands on an actual device sans OS? perhaps some rejected model? If not, then why build that thing - to mess with people? Sounds a bit expensive for a hoax that will no doubt be proven wrong in days. Perhaps for the e-mail registrations?

(2) What then will Steve be presenting at MWSF? Will it be the iCam, or will it be a device similar to the iWalk (not a 'PDA' but something like it, behaps like a 'backstage pass to the future')?

I have to admit, I get more excited about MacWorld than I ever did over Christmas.

mitcho

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002
But if it's fake... someone has that little foam model, and it's probably not even foam. I wonder what it's made out of. I want that model, just because it's cool.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
a lot of work...

I'm not a video expert. However, someone put an awful long time into producing this.

I do see what looks like evidence of touch-ups in the photos, but still, that's one heck of a mock-up!

If you don't agree, go try to build it and see how long it takes you to make something that convincing. Then tell me how long it takes you.

P

Pigvomit

Actually, it wouldn't take much time at all. Especially if you or someone you know is into building models or molds - you can buy these supplies at any decent hobby store. Plus people have access to all sorts of equipment - there's a guy I know who had custom power center cases built for his computer desk because he had a friend who worked at an aluminum casting shop - cost? A six pack and a weekend making the stuff. Maybe one of the hoaxers knows how to create plastic molds. I have another friend who loves making stuff with rubber and plastic molds. He does it out of his house for fun, from holloween costumes (like the entire batman outfit) to phasers and lightsaber get-ups. The payoff for the people who pulled this prank is the BIG reaction from the Mac community - what a hoot! A week's worth of work, and everybody is up in a stir.

P

Pigvomit

One more little thingy. As far as the the video work is concerned, it's not perfect by a long shot - it's a great start to what could have been a perfectly executed hoax. But in all honesty the composting could have been done in a day easily. The visuals have errors, which suggests to me that they didn't know how to use the software that well. Maybe there's a film student or an amatuer video artist among them, who knows, maybe they headed over to the creativecow.net and read up on compositing - whatever. The type of compositing here is not that difficult (ie. stable-locked down camera with a non-moving subject). But what a great idea to get a reaction!

manfrotto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
To much time on OUR hands?

Mac_user the amount of time taken to disect the video was probably about 5 minutes, the errors in the video are very obvious and ameturish to those that have experienc in video editing and touchup.

As mentioned before the amount of time to make the video was probably around a weeks worth of time including the manufacturing of the casing for the device (which I believe could have even been made out of wood and spray painted with a metallic paint). So if you want to talk about anybody having to much time on there hands it would be the people that put the video together.

Or maybe they didn't have enough time on there hands and that's why they did such a shoddy job putting it together with all the flaws.

Ironically I started this thread due to the 14000 people that had viewed the "iWalk" thread with some where near 300 posts, talk about a time waster, people were wasting time writing about it being real and how excited they, others disputing and thousands of others reading through all this crap. I just wanted to bring light to the obvious reasons it's fake so people would stop wasting time with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.