PDA

View Full Version : FS: Old Dell PC

Foxer
Nov 22, 2004, 10:26 AM
Yep. We're moving and I'm trying to get rid of as much stuff as possible. I have an old Dell desktop from my law school days. It was bought in 1999 and was fairly top of the line at that time. Here's all I know about it...

PII processor: Something around 400 or 500 MHz
Two optical drives. CD-ROM and CDRW
Floppy Drive
Soundblaster game card
USB ports
Modem and ethernet port
Keyboard and mouse

Windows 98 is on it and it boots up fine (I tested it this weekend). I've got nothing in the way of documentation or disks. Case looks real good. Optical drives are installed but not contected. Someone with more PC skill than me could easily fix that.

Price: Whatever you want. I'll take the best offer or first person to send me $50 to my paypal account. Otherwise, you can just sift through my trash next week.

DanTekGeek
Nov 22, 2004, 10:29 AM
ill give you 5 bucks to set it onfire and film it.

jeremy.king
Nov 22, 2004, 11:18 AM
Foxer, I'll take it off your hands (for free) if you are going to toss it. I can pick it up if you would like.

DRFS Rich
Nov 22, 2004, 01:45 PM
If no one takes it, don't toss it, donate it to a charity, I'm sure they could make good use of it!

- R

Foxer
Nov 22, 2004, 08:18 PM
If no one takes it, don't toss it, donate it to a charity, I'm sure they could make good use of it!

- R

Yeah, I've thought about doing that. I probably will if no one jumps at this fabulous machine.

rickvanr
Nov 23, 2004, 05:38 PM
how fast does it run?

could it handle windows 2000? what about XP?

would divX and xvid files play smoothly?

Mechcozmo
Nov 23, 2004, 06:03 PM
how fast does it run?

could it handle windows 2000? what about XP?

would divX and xvid files play smoothly?

Up the RAM, the hard drive (maybe) and it might run 2000. Not XP. I'd say anything less than 800Mhz should be running Win98 and above that Win2k.

Win98 isn't that bad, download the Service Pack 1 (Unofficial) for it. Here is the linkety (http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html)

scem0
Nov 23, 2004, 07:32 PM
I've found that 2k isn't too bad on 500Mhz+.

XP is a big no no for anything under 750Mhz, I'd say.

Hell, someone should use this machine for folding, or upgrade the processor.

What kind of Mobo does it have? It might upgrade well. If it supports a 1Ghz processor, you might be able to OC it to 1.3 or 1.4Ghz and then you're really hummin' along.

scem0

XIII
Nov 27, 2004, 10:43 AM
I have a Pentium III 500mhz 256mb RAM 20gig HD running XP professional just fine. And sp2 :)

Foxer
Nov 27, 2004, 02:40 PM
What kind of Mobo does it have? It might upgrade well. If it supports a 1Ghz processor, you might be able to OC it to 1.3 or 1.4Ghz and then you're really hummin' along.

scem0

The normal kind? It's an Optiplex if that helps anyone. It certainly runs Win98 without problems. Never tried anything bigger.