Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

videoed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
Hi,

looking at the new Mac Pros for video editing.

if we move forward, we will likely be on these machines for 4 years or more.

tell me what you think of this for internal storage:

drive 1: boot drive/applications: ssd
drive 2: any 7200rpm drive to mirror with the boot drive (is this even possible?)
drive 3, 4: 1TB each for raid 1 for the purpose of media files that get used on all projects(external raids for everything else) and for very small and temporary projects

thanks

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
drive 2: any 7200rpm drive to mirror with the boot drive (is this even possible?)

Yes, just use SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner to make a bootable backup, they can also do incremental backups after you finished the first big backup.

drive 3, 4: 1TB each for raid 1 for the purpose of media files that get used on all projects(external raids for everything else) and for very small and temporary projects

Are you sure 1TB is enough for your media? Are you editing in SD or HD?

If it is enough, it sounds doable, especially the RAID 1 part.

videoed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
Yes, just use SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner to make a bootable backup, they can also do incremental backups after you finished the first big backup.

Are you sure 1TB is enough for your media? Are you editing in SD or HD?

If it is enough, it sounds doable, especially the RAID 1 part.

thanks for the response.

for the boot drive, i guess i didn't consider that after the os and applications were installed that this drive wouldn't see any action probably until os updates or new software

for the internal media, we have a catalog of media that gets used on various projects throughout the year that would probably total less than 100GB. As for the smaller projects that come up, those are rarely more than 20 minutes of footage and only last on the drive for a few days at a time.

(this would presumably be the place to store all project files as well)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.