PDA

View Full Version : Official Apple iPad case shipping from China!?!

SiMBa37
Aug 3, 2010, 09:15 AM
As I posted on a prior thread, ordered an iPad plus the official case direct from the Apple store. I cancelled the iPad order b/c I found one in best buy, but left the case order alone as it said "already processed for shipping".

Just got the fedex tracking number, and its being shipped direct from Hong Kong. WTF?!? Doesn't apple keep warehouses of these things at least somewhere in the US? Seems pretty inefficient from Apple. Oh well, should arrive in 4 to 5 more days. Just an FYI in case there are other "geniuses" like me who think its a good idea to order these accessories direct from Apple.

Saberon
Aug 3, 2010, 09:18 AM
Anything I've EVER ordered from Apple online comes from China. Seems like they ship from the factory?

seajay96
Aug 3, 2010, 09:25 AM
more inefficient than having a warehouse with product just sitting around?

The transportation chain between China and US is used either way, so, I'm sure they use a variation of "just in time shipping" and simply make the intercontinental shipments based on a demand cycle and process the incoming products for direct to customer shipping rather than letting them stagnate in a warehouse. What does it add? maybe 2 days?

NJBlackBerry
Aug 3, 2010, 09:58 AM
And if you ordered an iPad from apple.com it also came from China. STUNNING.

DiamondMac
Aug 3, 2010, 10:21 AM
I was shocked too when it came from China

Like you, I assumed covers and whatnot were nearby at a local warehouse rather than across the great ocean

SiMBa37
Aug 3, 2010, 10:38 AM
more inefficient than having a warehouse with product just sitting around?

Convenience is highly valued, which is why Amazon Prime is so popular. You think Amazon can guarantee 2 day delivery by shipping only factory direct? Amazon uses the model of multi regional distribution centers with large turnover for popular products. With Apple's massive popularity, I don't see why they can't implement the same model, and I highly doubt their warehouses would have anything just sitting around, I'm sure they would have steady flow of product.

Anyway, just a thought.

PBG4 Dude
Aug 3, 2010, 10:57 AM
Once Apple can get ahead in production, then they can ship from US-based warehouses. It seems they can't catch a break because every unit manufactured was sold weeks ago! :D

gigaguy
Aug 3, 2010, 11:11 AM
I agree, it's because supply is tight, they have been selling more than they can make. but the ship times are near normal now for many items, the case is next day last time I checked, used to be 3-4 weeks.
they are shipping direct from the factories. they don't have warehouses full of any ipad item yet.
but even when I ordered an ipod Nano 2 years ago, it came from China.

SiMBa37
Aug 3, 2010, 11:32 AM
I doubt catch up will occur anytime soon. Wall street expects the iPad to be this Christmas season's "tickle me Elmo". Another way of saying crazy ass demand and short supply. I'm glad I bought some stock right around the antenna-gate time, when their share price dipped a bit.

I bet by the time Apple catches up with supply, it'll be time for iPad 2!

PBG4 Dude
Aug 3, 2010, 12:52 PM
I wonder if Apple will hold off releasing the iPad2 because the iPad1 is selling so well.