PDA

View Full Version : Quick Questions About The Camera Connection Kit

Magsec4
Aug 3, 2010, 11:16 AM
I was thinking of using my iPad to view photos taken with my SLR... Just a few quick questions before I run out and buy anything:

Once you import photos/videos can you delete them directly on the iPad to free up space (and delete blurry pics, etc.)? I know you can't delete photos synced from the computer on the iPad, just like on the iPhone (right?).

When syncing back to the computer from the iPad are the photos unchanged? In other words: Full resolution? Still in RAW format if they were imported that way? Still retaining all EXIF data unchanged?

Can you transfer imported photos from your iPad to ANY computer running iTunes? I normally sync with my home computer, but I'd like to transfer photos to my laptop while on the go...

That's about all I can think of right now... I appreciate any help with this, thanks!

d0GGii
Aug 3, 2010, 12:12 PM
You can't delete them, or simply put, there's no photo organizing ability on the iPad yet. Hopefully, this will be addressed in future updates. An iPhoto app perhaps?

rworne
Aug 3, 2010, 01:19 PM
After head-scratching trying to figure out how to export my photos from my ipad to iPhoto '08 directly, I realized that the old Import application (actual name I forgot, but the icon looks like a camera) pulls off the images just fine.

iFerd
Aug 3, 2010, 03:31 PM
Actually, in my experience you can delete pictures from the iPad after they are imported through the camera connection kit. You can't delete them from the iPad if they are imported through iTunes, but you can if they come directly from the camera. It is true that you can't organize them on the iPad.

I have yet to determine if the pictures taken off the iPad retain full resolution and EXIF data, but doing so is on my to-do list.

I doubt you can move RAW images to the iPad at all, but I could be wrong about that too. I'm sure I've read that you can't view RAW images, which makes sense if the iPad doesn't have a RAW image converter. One more thing for my to-do list. Edit: I take this back - according the the Apple web site, you can import RAW images.

I'll try to remember to report back, unless someone knows the answers I don't have.

Edit: The images are transferred from the iPad to your computer at full resolution. EXIF information is preserved. (I'm a Mac user and iPhoto is the default importer of photographs. It is my understanding that iPhoto extracts the EXIF information from the image file and puts it in its own database. That may be true, but it does get preserved.)

macpluslaptop
Aug 3, 2010, 07:35 PM
CCK puts the pics in thumbnails on your iPad and asks if you want to import all. You can check those you want to delete. And it will import RAW (or NEF for Nikon users) images. Works like a wonder.

Magsec4
Aug 3, 2010, 08:14 PM
That's great, thanks for your answers!

Yeah, I saw that Apple's website says it does support RAW and that's when I got the idea... I wouldn't use it if I could only transfer JPEGs.

Anyways thanks, that's really helpful!