PDA

View Full Version : Does Camera Connector Kit work with Rebel XT?

sananda
Aug 3, 2010, 12:45 PM
I'm thinking about getting the Camera Connector Kit to use with my Canon 350d (Rebel XT). Naturally, I'll use the USB connector as the 350d uses CF cards. But I read the following on iLounge:

... the iPad Camera Connector is capable of connecting to most USB-compatible digital cameras via a male USB plug and/or cableóexcept when itís not. Some older, pre-2005 digital cameras may experience issues if they donít support the popular Mass Storage Device or Picture Transfer Protocol connectivity standards.

I don't know if the 350d supports those standards. Is anyone successfully using the kit with a 350d?

BrennerM
Aug 3, 2010, 01:06 PM
If your computer sees your camera as a USB Mass Storage device and the photos/videos are stored in a subdirectory/folder called "DCIM" you should be good to use the connector kit.

sananda
Aug 3, 2010, 01:58 PM
If your computer sees your camera as a USB Mass Storage device and the photos/videos are stored in a subdirectory/folder called "DCIM" you should be good to use the connector kit.

Thanks.

I set the 350d to "PC Connection" but it doesn't appear on my mac. The option it was on before was "Print/PTP" which I guess maybe the Picture Transfer Protocol referred to by iLounge.

iFerd
Aug 3, 2010, 03:26 PM
If your computer sees your camera as a USB Mass Storage device and the photos/videos are stored in a subdirectory/folder called "DCIM" you should be good to use the connector kit.I do suggest you examine a CF card from your camera to see if that sub-directory is there - I'd bet it is. I have a Nikon DSLR that uses CF cards, and it is recognized by the iPad camera connection kit through a USB cable. But it also works to put the CF card in a card reader and connect it by its USB cable to the iPad connector - the proper directory is automatically recognized and the card in the reader is recognized as if it is a camera.

I have a Canon point and shoot. Its SD card is read by the SD thingy in the kit, presumably in the same way a CF card-in-card-reader is.

One thing I discovered in fiddling is that not all USB cables in my drawer are the same. Some work and some don't. I suppose it's because some are old enough not to be USB 2.

sananda
Aug 5, 2010, 09:21 AM
I think I'll just buy the kit since it looks like the 350d uses Picture Transfer Protocol. Assuming they are in stock somewhere.

iFerd
Aug 5, 2010, 10:18 AM
Post a report when you get it. The supply jam seems to be loosening. the Apple Store on the web is showing 7-10 days to ship now, instead of the weeks and weeks it was showing not long ago.

sananda
Aug 7, 2010, 09:26 AM
I got the kit today. I went down to the opening of the new Apple Store in Covent Garden this morning because I'd heard they had a decent stock of the kit. But the queue was HUGE! So I strolled over to Regent Street store and was surprised to find they had a few.

It works just fine with my 350d! I imported RAW files. It seems to create its own 1536 x 1024 JPEG (which is not one of the JPEGs the 350d embeds in the RAW file - see this amazingly popular thread for more details about that http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=975380) for viewing on iPad. This JPEG can be uploaded to Facebook or Twitpic etc. using the relevant apps.

Opting to email the photo, results in the RAW file being emailed (but it loses its filename and becomes photo.cr2). But when downloading the photos from iPad to my Mac via Image Capture, it retains the original filename.

So, I look forward to not taking my iBook on holiday later this month and just using iPad to check how the photos are coming out.