PDA

View Full Version : The Strategy Behind iPod Socks

MacBytes
Nov 22, 2004, 01:00 PM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: The Strategy Behind iPod Socks (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041122140004)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

munkle
Nov 22, 2004, 02:40 PM
Call me cynical but I see the iPod socks as a nice gimmick, with high profit margins, to cash in on the iPod craze...Steve basically admitted as much. Maybe the author is reading a little bit too much into this...

asif786
Nov 22, 2004, 04:32 PM
Call me cynical but I see the iPod socks as a nice gimmick, with high profit margins, to cash in on the iPod craze...Steve basically admitted as much. Maybe the author is reading a little bit too much into this...

I totally agree. He is just reading too much into it.

Still, a clever idea from Apple :D

redAPPLE
Nov 22, 2004, 04:36 PM
a news filler... an article written with love, me thinks. so... tomorrow is powerbook tuesday right? ;)

edesignuk
Nov 22, 2004, 04:39 PM
That's the longest article about socks I've ever seen :eek:

iMeowbot
Nov 22, 2004, 04:48 PM
I like these lengthy attempts from apple-x to find cosmic significance in the actitivies of an electronics company. They're funny :)

killmoms
Nov 22, 2004, 05:22 PM
I thought it was a pretty smart conclusion actually. Clever, even if it's not the truth, it was fun to read and well-written. Why you guys gotta be so down on it? WHY YOU GOTTA HATE? :P

mainstreetmark
Nov 22, 2004, 06:20 PM
I don't even know what an iPod sock is. I don't recall seeing a "sock" when I got mine. I did get some sort of material bag, but I certainly wouldn't call it a sock.

broken_keyboard
Nov 22, 2004, 06:32 PM
I don't even know what an iPod sock is. I don't recall seeing a "sock" when I got mine. I did get some sort of material bag, but I certainly wouldn't call it a sock.

The socks are sold separately
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71006/wo/Qu26xbBsnAMe2Hj48mo1HRHCFyD/1.0.0.11.1.0.6.9.3.3.0.1.0.1.1.0.1.0.1

Sharewaredemon
Nov 22, 2004, 08:40 PM
That's the longest article about socks I've ever seen :eek:

Haha, that was a definite laugh out loud,
thanks edesign.

Daveway
Nov 22, 2004, 09:50 PM
When i told my 78 year old grandmother i wanted socks for my ipod for Christmas i think you know the response i received. LOL. I think the socks were a great idea, the downside is that there isnt much functionality with my ipod when it is in there.

zwida
Nov 22, 2004, 10:07 PM
Call me cynical but I see the iPod socks as a nice gimmick, with high profit margins, to cash in on the iPod craze...Steve basically admitted as much.

Agreed...I think $$$ IS the strategy behind the socks.

nagromme
Nov 22, 2004, 11:41 PM
Claiming a little piece of the iPod case market is all this is. It's an amusing product, appealing only if you really want all 6 colors... and it's pretty darn close to insignificant :)

But head to iPodLounge.com's forums and you can find people wailing and gnashing teeth about how iPod socks shows that Apple hates its customers :D You won't believe how worked up people are getting over the existence of this product. It's even gotten to the level of comparing Apple sock prices to the prices of regular human socks :D

munkle
Nov 22, 2004, 11:57 PM
Claiming a little piece of the iPod case market is all this is. It's an amusing product, appealing only if you really want all 6 colors... and it's pretty darn close to insignificant :)

But head to iPodLounge.com's forums and you can find people wailing and gnashing teeth about how iPod socks shows that Apple hates its customers :D You won't believe how worked up people are getting over the existence of this product. It's even gotten to the level of comparing Apple sock prices to the prices of regular human socks :D

People do get a bit carried away at times! It was just a fun whimsical product to take advantage of the upcoming Christmas season. Don't like it, don't buy it!

anonymous161
Nov 23, 2004, 01:54 PM
I have to say I like them. I ordered a set yesterday. My wife carries her 4g in her purse and hasn't really found a case that she likes yet so the sock will keep the screen from getting scratched as easily by all the other stuff that inhabits her purse. I think i will carry my mini around in one just because. They are just fun simple accessories that fit the iPod's personality but still let it be what it is without some permanent sleeve covering it. Hell if they made a sock big enough for my iBook i might buy one of those too.