Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
I recently sold my MacBook and wanted to restore the computer to new. I barely have any files on it since I rarely used it. To be safe I would like to restore it to factory just like when I bought it on the first day. Is there a way to do this?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Reformat the hard drive and reinstall the OS that it came with.

Start up your mac with the OS X disk inserted, run Disk Utility and format the drive. Upon completion reinstall the software it came with.

Edit*

• 1. To erase the primary drive, insert the OS X installer disk.
    2. Reboot the computer. It will ask for your administrator user name and password.
    3. Select you language.
    4. From the menu select Utilities > Disk Utility.
    5. Select the disk you want to erase and click Erase.
    6. Specify a volume format and name for the disk.
    7. Click Security Options and select your formatting option.
    8. Click OK.
    9. Click Erase.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
Thanks. I was running tiger and just updated to snow leaopard. I assume I have to start again with Tiger (and follow your directions below) and then re-update to snow leaopard?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Nope you should be able to use the SL disk and install from that.

Just to note; you will need to give the disk to the new owner as the license is installed on that mac, thus cannot be used on another ;)

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
OK even though it was the updated CD and not the box set? I didn't see any other options when I updated the first time. I inserted the CD and downloaded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.