PDA

View Full Version : cleaning b&w powermac

federalists
Nov 22, 2004, 02:13 PM
i was wondering how to disassemble the frosty case layer, since the underside of it is REALLY dirty. is there a way to do it without breaking it? i've removed the allen (hex) screws, but there seems to be a plastic post through the turquoise apple. how do i pry it off? any ideas?

RGunner
Nov 22, 2004, 02:45 PM
on the fold down side you must remove the logic board to access a pair of tabs to squeeze together (fairly easy once the board is removed).

on the stationary side, you should see same clips coming into the case right next to power supply (very center of case). again squeeze together and the sides pop off.

if all you are doing is cleaning... i would REALLY recommend not doing the logic board removal, too many things can go wrong.

Macmaniac
Nov 22, 2004, 03:03 PM
I think if you check AppleFritter.com they have some take apart instructions for G3 cases since people like to change the paint schemes. I think you are going to need a few hex wrenchs and a screw driver.

zen_state
Nov 22, 2004, 03:05 PM
I have taken one apart before and its not that hard. you need the service manual. great to have when you come across something you're not sure how to go at.

federalists
Nov 22, 2004, 04:08 PM
thanks for all the help and resources. i just got done doing my complete clean, logic board and all. i've put together pc's before, so i know how to remove motherboards. and i only wish i had the owner's manual, i just got this off ebay for < $100 (rev 2 even!) what a steal.

Mechcozmo
Nov 22, 2004, 06:40 PM
Linkety (http://www.whoopis.com/computer_repair/) has all of the Apple Service manuals for anything. Who wants to tear apart a Color Classic? Or how about a Laser Writer 200?

Cmon... I know who you are.... ;) :D

point665
Nov 22, 2004, 09:19 PM
Man they are easy as hell to take apart, no manual or anything needed. Damn Ive completely stripped 2 of them so far without ever looking at a howto. Common sense works. Ive also painted 2 of them for friends of my, both satisfied with the results, I dont want to unveil them yet because I will be entering them along with my own G3 mod into a contest....