Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InfernoUk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
Hey guys just wondering is there any news of an official FB app for iPad ? ive been waiting for ages since in browser use dosent seem to allow chat and its pretty annoying having to use the iphone version of the app, i heard it was in development but its been ages now.

Thanks !

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
I just use the normal FB app with fullforce on my Jaibroken ipad, works fine. otherwise just use the website?

InfernoUk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
thanks for the link id never have guessed...if you read the post i stated its the chat feature its for some reason not using which is my origional point...

As for jailbreaking my ipad isnt, is it worth it ? i havent looked into it since i havnt used my ipad in months

Wow those two above me FAILED to even read the whole OP

thank you, was wondering if it was my fault

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I haven't tried it yet, but I wonder if you go to facebook's website while using Atomic Browser, and set Atomic Browser to be recognized as "Safari For Desktop", if those features would work.

I'll try it later......

BTW, Atomic Browser>>>>>>>>>>>>Safari for iPad/iPhone

InfernoUk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
I haven't tried it yet, but I wonder if you go to facebook's website while using Atomic Browser, and set Atomic Browser to be recognized as "Safari For Desktop", if those features would work.

I'll try it later......

BTW, Atomic Browser>>>>>>>>>>>>Safari for iPad/iPhone

thanks please post back the result.

Thanks for the IM+ suggestion but i just wanted it all in one place as i would get on a laptop

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
There are two main problems with using the website itself on an iPad.

1) I'm not permanently logged in. The session keeps me in for awhile, but I inevitably have to re-log in a few times over the course of the day. It's not a big deal, but it is annoying.

2) Can't upload pictures. As far as I'm aware, it is impossible for any website to allow a user of iOS Safari to upload pictures. That operation requires that the iOS user be in an app. Sure, I can use the iPhone Facebook app for that one purpose, but I'd still love one single app that lets me do everything facebook can do. And there is no such app.

The $5 app I see on the store is tempting, but it doesn't support pic uploading. And that's a critical miss in my opinion.

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
I guarantee you within the next month or two the chat will be fixed on Facebook.com to work with the iPad. Meanwhile, go to the App Store and type in, "Facebook Chat".

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
It appears facebook chat does work in Atomic Browser when it is set to be recognized as "Safari for Desktop". I did not chat with anyone (no one worth chatting with was online), but I was able to sign into chat, tap on a name, open a chat box, and type in it.

InfernoUk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
It appears facebook chat does work in Atomic Browser when it is set to be recognized as "Safari for Desktop". I did not chat with anyone (no one worth chatting with was online), but I was able to sign into chat, tap on a name, open a chat box, and type in it.

downloaded it and tried, works for me to excellent ! thank you

IamHermann0069

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I went back and forth on this issue for a while. On one hand, I love the browser version on the iPad. I love that it is the actual site, instead of a dumbed down version of it. I do not really like Facebook chat, because it tends to get annoying.

At the same time, I do miss the notifications when I get posts and messages. I even went back into the facebook settings, and turned email notifications back on, but i quickly remembered why i turned them off in the first place. I hate my inbox filling up with all of the Facebook nonsense. I turned them back off and was hoping for a Facebook iPad app, but then I thought about it. I get those same notifications on my iPhone 4, and it really isn't really necessary to get the notifications in more than one place.

For now, I will stick with the browser version, and if facebook releases a larger version of their iPhone version, I will most likely stick with the browser. However, if they release a more functional iPad friendly version, then we will have to wait and see.

1) I'm not permanently logged in. The session keeps me in for awhile, but I inevitably have to re-log in a few times over the course of the day. It's not a big deal, but it is annoying.

Log in, and go to your facebook home screen. When you are there, click the Plus sign at the top bar of the safari browser. Then click add to home screen. It should then be an icon on your home screen, and if you use that to go to the site, then it should keep you logged in.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Log in, and go to your facebook home screen. When you are there, click the Plus sign at the top bar of the safari browser. Then click add to home screen. It should then be an icon on your home screen, and if you use that to go to the site, then it should keep you logged in.
You say "should," and that leads me to believe you may not have actually tried it yourself. What you describe is in fact the way I have always done it. And it does not work. The facebook site seems to utilize a cookie to store my auto-login credentials, and that cookie has an expiration time. I've never bothered pinpointing the exact duration, but it's definitely less than a day. I would guess it's a few hours. So if I don't access the facebook site at least once every hour or two, I will end up having to log back in. I suppose if facebook updated that cookie to expire after 24-48 hours, I'd be a lot less annoyed. I generally do check the site at least once a day.

IamHermann0069

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
Minneapolis, Minnesota
You say "should," and that leads me to believe you may not have actually tried it yourself. What you describe is in fact the way I have always done it. And it does not work. The facebook site seems to utilize a cookie to store my auto-login credentials, and that cookie has an expiration time. I've never bothered pinpointing the exact duration, but it's definitely less than a day. I would guess it's a few hours. So if I don't access the facebook site at least once every hour or two, I will end up having to log back in. I suppose if facebook updated that cookie to expire after 24-48 hours, I'd be a lot less annoyed. I generally do check the site at least once a day.

I'm sorry... I guess I didn't mean "should" but I did want to leave room for the skeptics to prove me wrong without sounding stupid myself. However, I purchased my iPad 3G on launch day, and saved facebook to the home screen in the first hour. I have never had to log in aside from the few times when I physically logged out for others to check their facebook.

Long story short... I know FOR SURE that I do not log in to check my facebook. There are days when I check every hour or two and days when I NEVER CHECK. I have gone 4 days (forgot my iPad on the counter when leaving for the airport) when I came back I clicked and went straight to my home screen. NO LOG IN REQUIRED!

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
By now there should really be an actual Facebook iPad app...waiting...waiting...

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I like beejive. They have an iPhone and iPad version. The iPad version has great UI and takes advantage if the large iPad screen!

Ya right... I purchased beejive for iPod Touch back when it was launched in 2008 for $16 and now they want me to pay another $10 for the iPad version. No thank you.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
I'm a bit of a stick in the mud, I don't like having these new fangled all in one IM apps and much prefer having Windows Live Messenger as well as Yahoo! messenger installed.

I did try IM+ Lite, but couldn't get on with it. So instead, either open a new tab once you have logged into facebook and open a new page and go to http://www.facebook.com/presence/popout.php - sometimes it doesn't connect the first time you load it, but do a refresh and it should work. The only annoyance I have found is you can't scroll up to see your message history. Other than that it works a charm.

2nd is to install iCab and change the user agent to Firefox or something other than the mobile version. Chat works on the website then. But I don't like having another web browser on my iPad even though it is far superior ;0)

I'm weird I know !!

pac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.