PDA

View Full Version : how to duplicate this?

emt8q5
Aug 3, 2010, 04:13 PM
ok, so I'm trying to duplicate a design element which was created using a basic paint type program. I'm trying to make this circle with the swish in it using Illustrator and I can't duplicate the swish to save my life. Any ideas how I might achieve this?

Thanks!

NXTMIKE
Aug 3, 2010, 04:24 PM
To my best knowledge, you can't duplicate it 100%....but you can try the following:

Live Trace the image, play around with the tracing options.

Trace over image with the Pen Tool. Make careful use of the bezier curves and you might need to control-Z a couple times, but it shouldn't be too hard.

Or...if you're looking for something not too accurate, yet similar, you could just make the circle and then find a brush and execute a stroke through it to imitate the swirl.

Consultant
Aug 3, 2010, 04:36 PM
Looks too much like this?

sigmadog
Aug 3, 2010, 04:43 PM
Create a circle
create a swish shape on top of the circle
Use Pathfinder to remove to top shape from the bottom shape.
done

THX1139
Aug 3, 2010, 07:55 PM
To my best knowledge, you can't duplicate it 100%....but you can try the following:

Live Trace the image, play around with the tracing options.

Trace over image with the Pen Tool. Make careful use of the bezier curves and you might need to control-Z a couple times, but it shouldn't be too hard.

Or...if you're looking for something not too accurate, yet similar, you could just make the circle and then find a brush and execute a stroke through it to imitate the swirl.

Anyone who has a decent mastery of the pen tool could easily recreate this with 100% success. Like you said, just drop it into a layer... then zoom in and trace away with the pen tool. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes if you know what you are doing.