PDA

View Full Version : iPhone "Wake on WLAN" enabled. How do I turn it off?

Morac
Aug 3, 2010, 07:44 PM
I noticed today that my iPhone 3GS running 4.0.1 (not jailbroken) is not turning off the wireless antenna when it goes to sleep. Normally when I put the phone in standby (lock the screen) and the phone isn't in an app, the phone goes to sleep and turns off the wireless antenna, thus saving battery. Today I noticed it wasn't doing this so I hooked up the Iphone Configuration Utility and saw the following in the log:

Tue Aug 3 20:36:18 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: AppleBCMWLAN::setPowerStateGated() : Powering Off and sleeping
Tue Aug 3 20:36:18 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: AppleEmbeddedUSBArbitrator::handleUSBCableTypeChange : no change in cable-type
Tue Aug 3 20:36:18 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: AppleMultitouchN1SPI: disabled power
Tue Aug 3 20:36:18 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: BasebandSPIDevice::enterLowPower: In Low Power
Tue Aug 3 20:36:18 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: AppleBCMWLAN::configureWoWAssociatedEntry(): Setting extended dtim wakeup period to: 3
Tue Aug 3 20:36:18 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: AppleBCMWLAN::powerOff(): We are associated and Wake on WLAN is enabled, wifi is staying up!
Tue Aug 3 20:27:46 unknown kernel[0] <Debug>: System Sleep

Why is Wake on WLAN enabled on the iPhone 3GS and how do I disable it so it will go into full sleep mode?

zorinlynx
May 17, 2013, 11:41 AM
You don't want to disable this. "Wake on WLAN" allows the wifi access point to wake your *sleeping* iPhone to deliver packets to it, such as push notifications.

Your iPhone isn't using any more power in this state than it would be otherwise. In fact, this mode helps it SAVE power, as it doesn't have to connect to the network periodically to check for new push notifications.

Also if cellular data is on, this is all moot as it will use that and shut down Wifi completely.

Mrbobb
May 17, 2013, 01:40 PM
Am sure after 3 years, he already figured it out, if he hadn't got rid of the phone.