PDA

View Full Version : Induce Act on Music Copyright Likely to Stall in Congress

MacBytes
Nov 22, 2004, 04:24 PM
Category: Tunes
Link: Induce Act on Music Copyright Likely to Stall in Congress (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041122172459)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Santaduck
Nov 23, 2004, 02:42 AM
It's good news to hear that this lobby is losing influence in Congress. I wonder what the real reason is? Their own children and grandchildren with iPods and P2P-downloaded music? Or a fundamental understanding that the entire notion of this market is inexorably changing?

shamino
Nov 23, 2004, 02:57 PM
It's good news to hear that this lobby is losing influence in Congress. I wonder what the real reason is
I think the article guessed right. They're not losing influence, but they overreached with an insanely broad piece of legislation.

The induce act would make it illegal to manufacture or distribute any device that the RIAA thinks might make someone want to pirate content.

Which means manufacturers and resellers of VCRs, cassette recorders, scanners, CD-RW drives, MP3 players, photocopiers, modems, and just about everything else would be liable.

In other words, the RIAA tried to make most of the country's manufacturing and retail industries illegal with a single law.

I should hope that even the RIAA-controlled Congress could see the problem with this law!

macnulty
Nov 25, 2004, 06:23 PM
RIAA over reached but I also think they are losing influence, the natural tendency for cartels to lose influence over time.

Santaduck
Nov 27, 2004, 02:52 AM
ah ok that makes sense... and their over-reaching has possibly permanently marred the credibility (highlighting their being out-of-touch with reality), and therefore their future influence.

iMeowbot
Nov 27, 2004, 07:45 AM
It doesn't really look like a sea change. Entertainment tries to get something banned, manufacturers get it killed, then entertainment comes back with a "compromise" version involving some kind of payment. That's been the pattern for 30+ years now.