PDA

View Full Version : iPhone and AT&T Upgrade Plan

jotade11
Aug 3, 2010, 11:59 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm looking for some guidance for iPhone 4 buying; I am wondering if I purchase an iPhone 4 now, if next year, when the 'iPhone 5' (phone pending naming) is released, assuming it is released at the same time (during the summer), if I will be able to upgrade with AT&T for the regular price of somewhere around $300. Obviously, I'm not asking for a concrete answer, I'd just like to know what the trend has been like. Will I satisfy the upgrade requirements if I own the iPhone 4 for one year or will I have to wait 6-12 months after the 'iPhone 5' is released.

Sorry if I made that more confusing than it had to be!

Thank you already!
-J.D.

Applejuiced
Aug 4, 2010, 12:04 AM
Noone can answer this for sure unless you call up AT&T and maybe they can judge by your previous history with them and give you an estimate.
Some people depending on their account, how much they spend a month and other things they let them upgrade for full subsidy $199-299 price every 12 months. Where others have to wait every 18 months to get a full upgrade again.

Resist
Aug 4, 2010, 12:07 AM
The iPhone 4 was practically just released and people are already talking about the iPhone 5......amazing. :rolleyes:

jotade11
Aug 4, 2010, 12:09 AM
Just to check, are you saying that it IS possible, but not definite, that after 12 months, they would give me the full subsidy if I have thrown away enough of my money to them? :p Thus, there is hope to upgrade every 12 months?

The closest thing to an answer, before your's (thanks!) was from this article: http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20007159-266.html

Q:Current iPhone subscribers are able to upgrade for the reduced prices on the iPhone 4 if their contract is up by the end of the year. What about customers whose contracts will expire next year? Will they be eligible for the reduced price six months before their contract ends?

A: Upgrade eligibility is based on several factors, not only length of contract. For example, AT&T takes into account your spending level, whether you are a good customer who pays his bill on time, and how far you are into your contract to determine whether you can upgrade early. AT&T has said that it will allow existing iPhone customers who are eligible for an upgrade between June 7 and the end of this year to get the best pricing for the iPhone 4 with a two-year term commitment. Consumers can verify upgrade eligibility here. Business customers can verify upgrade eligibility at AT&T's Premier site.

Thanks again for the reply! :)

jotade11
Aug 4, 2010, 12:11 AM
The iPhone 4 was practically just released and people are already talking about the iPhone 5......amazing. :rolleyes:

Hey, I'm just trying to plan ahead and not waste money on a product I'm not absolutely in love with, just to throw more money at the next model xD

I'm not speculating on the phone itself, just the money I/people will have to shell out if they hop on the bandwagon now.

ToroidalZeus
Aug 4, 2010, 12:11 AM
http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/upgrade-advantage.jsp

As you can see 18mo is the lowest you can go for full 2yr price 199/299. But in ~12mo, you will get early upgrade pricing 399/499.

I should tell you, there is one loophole you can use.

Next year add a second line to your account and buy the iPhone 5. Then take the sim from your current iPhone 4 then put it into the iPhone 5. After which cancel data on the new line. Now if you DON'T sell your old iPhone this method is basically worthless since 240 + 199 > 399 but if you do sell your iPhone for lets say 240 (should be easy) then you have basically the brand new iPhone for the full 2yr price while still in a contract.

Applejuiced
Aug 4, 2010, 12:15 AM
I believe if your individual monthly fee's are over $100 every month not including taxes then you qualify for the yearly phone upgrade.
Not sure how it works with family plans and what line qualifies for what and when.

jotade11
Aug 4, 2010, 12:20 AM
I have a friend who upgraded for the subsidized price + $18. Maybe it was because he was spending $100+ a month. Well, thanks for the help! I think I'll take the risk and got out and buy it! Thanks all!

Applejuiced
Aug 4, 2010, 12:20 AM
I hear you, enjoy it.

ToroidalZeus
Aug 4, 2010, 08:19 AM
I believe if your individual monthly fee's are over $100 every month not including taxes then you qualify for the yearly phone upgrade.
Not sure how it works with family plans and what line qualifies for what and when.

You are right.

For family plans, it depends if the primary line pays more then 100 each month.

Resist
Sep 1, 2010, 05:01 PM
Hey, I'm just trying to plan ahead and not waste money on a product I'm not absolutely in love with, just to throw more money at the next modelWell get used to it with Apple products. Seems like they release new models every 6 months to a year.

brittanyjadexo
Sep 1, 2010, 07:04 PM
I got the iPhone 3GS on a family plan in June 2009, and got the iPhone 4 in August 2010, and got full upgrade price ($199) with the $18 fee waived.

jotade11
Sep 1, 2010, 07:09 PM
I got the iPhone 3GS on a family plan in June 2009, and got the iPhone 4 in August 2010, and got full upgrade price ($199) with the $18 fee waived.

Oh well, that definitely makes me WAY more comfortable :) Thanks!

Resist
Sep 1, 2010, 07:36 PM
Just called AT&T and got our fee ($36 for two phones), credit as well. :D

They must be worried that we will jump ship to Verizon next year.