Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
I need your opinion. On my mac I use OS X Snow Leopard mainly but on occasion I do use Windows 7 on apps such as MS SQL, MS project and MS Visio.

I just got a new external HD and debating on the file format, HPS or NTFS? I want both OS to be able to access the files. If I use HPS format would I have any issues with SQL or Visio files that are extracted from my external(HPS) drive??

What program can do this?

Thanks

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Boot Camp comes with read only HFS drivers that would probably work fine for Visio, but probably not SQL. There are a number of packages for windows like MacDrive that can enable read/write access.

Personally, I prefer abstracting this over the network so it doesn't matter.
All my shared files are either in dropbox or on a local HP mediasmart server.

B

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Personally, I prefer abstracting this over the network so it doesn't matter.
All my shared files are either in dropbox or on a local HP mediasmart server.

B

What does yoru HP server use? FAT32, HFS, NTFS?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
What does yoru HP server use? FAT32, HFS, NTFS?

It's NTFS. The device runs Windows Home Server and also deals with the Time Machine backups for all my computers (3 Macs dual booted with Windows and 2 PCs).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...05562&cm_re=mediasmart-_-59-105-562-_-Product

They used to have an LX model that was cheaper.

Any NAS will do though, even a Time Capsule or hanging your external off of something like an Airport Extreme. (Those would be HFS+).

B

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Hey that's pretty cool.

I thought about NTFS but the issue is when I copy files to external on NTFS, it will create a weird file with teh same name but 0kb. NOt sure if you know what I'm referring to. I have NTFS-3G on the mac side.

It is annoying to see a double of the same file.. if I do work on Mac and copy files to the external.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Hey that's pretty cool.

I thought about NTFS but the issue is when I copy files to external on NTFS, it will create a weird file with teh same name but 0kb. NOt sure if you know what I'm referring to. I have NTFS-3G on the mac side.

It is annoying to see a double of the same file.. if I do work on Mac and copy files to the external.

Check out BlueHarvest http://www.zeroonetwenty.com/blueharvest/

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.