PDA

View Full Version : Xserve shipments up 119%

MacBytes
Nov 22, 2004, 07:00 PM
Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Xserve shipments up 119% (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041122200036)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Daveway
Nov 22, 2004, 09:54 PM
and...like everything else Apple will never advertise a computer. I always see commercials for IBM and HP offering their server solutions. I remember a time when i turned on my TV and saw imac ads just like i see ipod ads today. One can not sit down in front of tv without seeing "vertigo" every 5 minutes!

I just really hope the halo works.

Apple has great xserves but the author put on an aire that Apple was not active in the supercomputer market which is very untrue.

nagromme
Nov 22, 2004, 11:50 PM
Of note:

* Xserve has now entered "the top ten of the entry level server market, which is really the bulk of where all servers are sold." In units shipped, Apple is in 8th place. (HP, Dell, and IBM are the top three.)

* Of those top ten companies, Apple achieved the highest growth--119% vs. Dell in second place with only 25%.

* Sales are expected (by "analysts") to more than double again annually through 2006, and then keep growing by 20-30%.

(Also, if I was Apple, I'd wait for Tiger and for the iPod to really take off--one down, one to go!--and THEN advertise Macs on TV. I probably won't bother advertising Xserves on TV at all, with print publications reaching more specific audiences.)

Santaduck
Nov 23, 2004, 02:21 AM
the article didn't even mention the cost-effectiveness of X-serve RAID, as well as no mention of the upcoming Xsan...

the growth is nice though... and thinking about it I agree w/Nagromme, maybe Apple can wait a tad a bit longer for critical mass before attempting to light the fuse with a marketing campaign... an ipod halo in the music and home desktop world is not necessarily going to immediately or ever translate into the business server world, so they have to take the plunge sometime.

maya
Nov 23, 2004, 12:26 PM
I believe what Apple is currently doing with the XServer is quite fine. They moved from the G4 to the G5 and meet with delays of shipment. And that is with they current mass orders.

The G5 XServer is still quite young and Apple seems to be after the education and gov't depts for they XServers, which is a great plan.

We have to remember that the XServer has been on the market not as long as the the rest, HP, Dell, SUN, etc.....

Give it another 2 years. :)

wordmunger
Nov 23, 2004, 12:41 PM
The xserve is pretty heavily advertised where it counts: Scientific American, for example, always seems to have a 2 or 3 page xserve spread. The xserve isn't to the point where it is viewed as a major-league infrastructure solution. When the scientists and geeks start adopting in bigger numbers, when Apple launches a wider array of xserve products, then you'll start seeing xserve advertised alongside the iPod on your sunday afternoon football games.

Mainyehc
Nov 23, 2004, 01:42 PM
(Also, if I was Apple, I'd wait for Tiger and for the iPod to really take off--one down, one to go!--and THEN advertise Macs on TV. I probably won't bother advertising Xserves on TV at all, with print publications reaching more specific audiences.)

If I was Apple, I would also wait for IBM to produce enough G5 chips to meet demand. Imagine what the backorders would be like if Apple started advertising the iMac, without being able to deliver enough units? Apple would get some really bad press, and their shares could even slip off. Let Apple, and especially IBM get ready for what's yet to come, the much anticipated "Halo effect". Perhaps I think it is real due to the fact I attend a fine arts school, where most designers are mac-freaks. But however I can almost feel that halo thing, because a lot of people from outside my faculty seems to be willing to switch, sooner or later. I'm also seeing a lot of white earbuds now (here in Portugal we are kind of late in adopting the iPod as a standard, unlike preety much everywhere else)...

As for Xserves... Seems that Apple is doing a great job, they earned that growth. It's always nice to see Apple having a respectful position in such an important market. Now let's just hope that the same happens with consumer Macs, and the sooner, the better. ;)

gwangung
Nov 23, 2004, 03:01 PM
Servers???? On mainstream media???

Let's slow down and think about this. Is mainstream media the best place to advertise servers? Or isn't a more effective place to advertise a server the Scientific Americans, the E-weeks and the Business Weeks?

nagromme
Nov 24, 2004, 02:28 AM
If I was Apple, I would also wait for IBM to produce enough G5 chips to meet demand. Imagine what the backorders would be like if Apple started advertising the iMac, without being able to deliver enough units?

An excellent point! The most inescapable reason NOT to do a big Mac media blitz--quite yet.

TomSmithMacEd
Nov 24, 2004, 05:25 PM
Apple has no reason to do a big media blitz. Their sales on macs are doing just fine. THey don't need more marketshare. THey are making a hefty profit as it is now. The best advertising Apple has are their great products, and the customers like us who follow them and tell the world about it.