Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dirk the Daring

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
At this point, it seems like many people are sticking with ios 3.x, either through choice or because their device doesn't allow 4.0. The software we are developing is not complicated, so we don't need the additional features provided with 4.0.

Or dev system recently had a hard drive crash, and we decided to rebuild it with fresh software instead of restoring the old software, so we downloaded xcode/ios dev kit off the developer site.

But this only seems to be able to make binaries that run on 4.0 phones.

So back to the site I go, but I can't find any way to grab a 3.x dev kit.

My questions are:
* Is there a way to get the 3.x dev kit from the official site that I'm missing?
* If I can't, what files do I need to grab from backup so that I can make 3.x binaries?
* Did I get stuck by installing the latest XCode?

Luke Redpath

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
Colchester, UK
This should probably be a sticky FAQ at the top of this forum, but anyway:

* You should always build and submit apps that are compiled with the latest available SDK, so in this case 4.0.1.
* To support an older platform, you still build with the latest SDK but set your iPhone deployment target (in your build settings) to the minimum required version.
* If you aren't using any 4.0 specific code, it will just work. If you are, you need to take steps to ensure this code is not run on earlier devices (of which there are several ways of doing depending on what exactly you are trying to do).

wjlafrance

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Madison, WI
If you're using the XCode 3 series, open Targets of your project, right-click and select Get Info. On the build tab, scroll down until you see "iPhone OS Deployment Target" and go back as far as you want. I believe it's recommended that you build for 3.0 right now.

If you're using the super secret XCode that I can't tell you about cause I'd possibly violate an NDA that I may not be under, click your project in "Project Navigator" (left side list), and on the info tab use the "iOS Targets" slider.

Dirk the Daring

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Thanks to both of you-- I needed the extra bit of information wjla gave, because I was looking at other fields that I had used in the past to compile for previous versions (which I'm now guessing wasn't the right way to do it.)

Thanks again!

rajkbala

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2008
Develop only for iphone/ipod

Could any one tell me how to make app only compatible with iphone/ipod and not ipad. I compiled my app update on 4.0.1 and is working fine on iPhone/iPod touch. I dont have iPad so cant test it, works fine on iPad simulator. App review team rejected the update as they said it is not working with iPad and my code is compiled as universal. Could anyone point me to a direction which will show me how to make app only for iPhone/iPod Touch.
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.