Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thinkdesign

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2010
This morning's news is of a settlement. As a public interest lawyer once explained to me, these deals can amount to the guilty party saying "We didn't do anything wrong, but we won't do it again." :eek:

I am interested in how this might influence the calculus for the Air's short term Rev. D prospects, Rev. E's prospects, and if the odds of E.O.L. are now even lower than before.

(This affects my buying planning. If the hinge, RAM and SSD limits of the Air nix any chance I can buy just one computer in the next several years... it has occured to me that I could buy the much-raved-about 13" MBP & a backpack now, and then if I get enough scholarships for grad school - buy whatever improved Air is available right before the fall 2011 semester begins. Then the heavy laptop with big memory stays home, and the light laptop is what I carry every day to school and libraries. The differences in the 2 make some sense that way. Better than - buying a lightweight with 3 skimpy aspects now, then another lightweight whose design is 2 steps forward and 2 steps back (if DigiTimes is right), when Rev. D eventually debuts.)

First - short-term: Does this settlement put Nvidia back in contention to make a compact-enough CPU-GPU chipset for a Jan. 2011 Air?

theappleguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
I'm surprised no one has responded to this yet. I'm also curious about the short term impact. Was this stopping development of products or the release of developed products? ie. could Apple etc release new products with i5/7 and NVidia integrated graphics next week, or will this simply allow them to start developing them? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.