PDA

View Full Version : PSX emulator For OSX

jadam
Aug 19, 2002, 06:12 PM
how many of you would like me to port PCSX 1.3 to OSX?

www.pcsx.net

my current project is pocketsx.ngemu.com but soon after thats updated and running a bit faster, ill be free and im wondering as CVGS has crappy graphics and only runs under OS9

solvs
Aug 19, 2002, 06:52 PM
CVGS was cool, but discontinued after Sony's lawyers got involved. Plus compatibility was an issue, some sound problems.

There was supposed to be a legal version of a PSX emulator, but I haven't heard anything since.

So if you want to try, go for it. There are plenty of resources available on the net. Look into the GameShark if you haven't yet.

Just watch out for Sony's lawyers.

D0ct0rteeth
Aug 19, 2002, 08:48 PM
im definitly interested.

add me to the list.. im sure there will be some people all for donating some coin if your serious.

MacMaster
Aug 19, 2002, 09:33 PM
http://www.pcsx.net/

mac15
Aug 19, 2002, 09:55 PM
yes please, I would love it since I still have alot of ps1 games, even though I have a ps2 , but my computer gets more attention than my PS

so bring it on

admiraldennis
Aug 19, 2002, 10:24 PM
[Just re-registered... first post!]

That would be great! There is a PSX emulator already for osx, but it requires a BIOS ROM of the psx, and it's pretty slow and the audio is choppy, and most games won't play. Plus the site and app are in Japanese. (http://www.cronos.ne.jp/~y2510/cgi/generator/autoGen.cgi?/software/flarestorm).

If you need beta/alpha testers, I'll be one. I've done beta/alpha testing for various companies and people, including Ambrosia SW. I provide pretty detailed bug reports. Email me at admirald@sourcecod.com.

FattyMembrane
Aug 20, 2002, 06:06 PM
i've been waiting for an osx playstation emulator for a long time and i'm sad to hear that flarestorm is slow and buggy (i was really looking forward to a cocoa psx emulator!) i would definitely urge you to port pcsx as i am sure there would be legions of mac users singing your praises. i'd offer my services, but "hello world" is about as far as i got in programming:p

jadam
Aug 21, 2002, 10:19 PM
WOW, all the positive replys!! thanks, i ask in mac irc channels and everyone goes why do i need a PSX emulator for OSX?!?!?!??!?!?!?

anyhoo, right now im busy working on getting PEOPS to work on my pocketpc, but im going to give it a go soon and see what happens. Im sure i could easily do a recompile for OSX with XDarwin, but cocoa is much more preferible.

btw, my(and r0bs) current port of pcsx is to pocketpcs pocketsx.ngemu.com :D

MacUser1
Aug 21, 2002, 10:35 PM
great, i would love to have a Playstation emulator for OS X :)

admiraldennis
Aug 22, 2002, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by jadam
WOW, all the positive replys!! thanks, i ask in mac irc channels and everyone goes why do i need a PSX emulator for OSX?!?!?!??!?!?!?
That's weird. You must've gone to #maclamers :p

anyhoo, right now im busy working on getting PEOPS to work on my pocketpc, but im going to give it a go soon and see what happens. Im sure i could easily do a recompile for OSX with XDarwin, but cocoa is much more preferible.

btw, my(and r0bs) current port of pcsx is to pocketpcs pocketsx.ngemu.com :D
Holy crap! You actually ported a PSX Emulator to PocketPC!? That's maddness! How does it run? If you can get decent gameplay out of those little processers, I'm just imagining what you can do with my dual G4 setup.... :D

Also-Could you do a recompile for XDarwin first (Just because it is easy and we get to try it out), and then cocoa when you get more time/a little bit later? That would be cool....

jadam
Aug 22, 2002, 12:55 PM
yeah, thats what i was thinking about doing at first but i need to download the xf86 libraries/headers for XDarwin, then i can just do a recompile.

jadam
Aug 22, 2002, 12:59 PM
well our first version of PocketSX wasnt sooo good, because we were using fpse .08 sources and couldnt get .09 so thats why we switched to PCSX. In 2d games though we can get very good speeds around 15-40fps thats with the old release, the new one is MUCH faster, but 3d games were only running at 3fps before, the new release should be much better which should be around 10-25fps in 3d and near full speed in 2d games as teh GTE wouldnt have to be emulated for those 3d games. and right now its using an interpreter until i finish writing a dynamic recompiler.

ohh yeah, i dont know if the emu would run incredibly fast at first, it might or might not, thats mainly because it would be using an interpreter for the r3000i, but then again the r3000i isnt any kind of beast and would run fast even without a dynamic recompiler.

well i will try really soon.

daveg5
Aug 22, 2002, 01:42 PM
I would love a dreamcast instead
The graphics are already anti-alias and the sports games are great
Not only that the games if found are 1-10 dollars
And since sega is still producing dreamcast as sony is still producing psx1
You shauld not have to worry about lawsuits.

daveg5
Aug 22, 2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by daveg5

I meant "Sega is not producing" dreamcast anymore

topicolo
Aug 22, 2002, 02:03 PM
hey jadam, how do you load a psx image onto a pockepc? do you have to get a 512mb compactflash card?

jadam
Aug 22, 2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by daveg5

heh, one thing you should know is that DreamCast emulators are pure bitches to write, there are NONE for PCs and the only reason why is because of the graphics card. No one has yet to find a proper way to reproduce the TileBased renderer that the PowerVR2DC uses. and there are tons of psx emus for pcs, and i dont see sony sueing those people. Well Lawsuits isnt the problem, its the fact that it would be very hard to emulate a Dreamcast.

how do you fit the games on a pocketpc, well, see PSX games use XA audio and MPEG1 type video, now the MPEG1 is HIGHLY uncompressed, the same with XA audio, XA audio is just like CD music, compare a 35mb CD file to a 3mb mp4 file. now lets use ff7 as an example, if you remove the videos from ff7(it doesnt have any XA audio just midi style music) you get a 120 or so mb iso, now doesnt that shock you? considering ff7 was 3 CDs!! if ff7 was made for ps2 using MPEG2 or MPEG4/DivX for the video, it would fit on just 1 cd! PSX is an old system remember that, MPEG1 was the thing back when it was made and MPEG2 would have been to system resource intensive to use.

daveg5
Aug 22, 2002, 02:20 PM
Thanks did not know that
I guess dreamcast is out

firewire2001
Aug 22, 2002, 03:04 PM
mostly the reason cvgs was sued is cause they sold it as software.. among other things..

has anyone tried running the linux version on os x?... (using xdarwin.. etc)

-f

jadam
Aug 22, 2002, 03:57 PM
thats impossible as its an x86 binary.

Solidus
Aug 22, 2002, 04:37 PM
:D Go for it! ...I still have some golden stuff like Xenogears that never came to europe to play...would be great with an emulator for OSX since my PS is unable to play them...:rolleyes:
Besides, it's interesting to see if it works...

Hmmm....you were talking about MPEG1 and XA audio...I came to think about this thing I've been looking for for a while now. Do any of you know if there's a way to rip the STR files from PS CD:s on a mac...I haven't seen any app for it...
They're kind of fun to watch...:P

///solidfox

dnte42
Aug 22, 2002, 09:41 PM
It would be nice to have an emulator for the poor student without a tv. It would be nice to be able to play some of the EA sports games, but if all else fails, a little Final Fantasy Tactics would be sweet.

FattyMembrane
Aug 29, 2002, 12:12 PM
does anyone know if pcsx uses opengl or hardware rendering for drawing graphics to the screen and what kind of resolutions you can use for gameplay? i checked the flarestorm site today and it has not been updated in over a month (not to mention it still does not offer cd support). if jadam can get this working it would be the only usable emulator under osx and i, for one, would be thrilled.:)

bidge
Aug 29, 2002, 06:56 PM
I'm all for it, if you make a mailing list add me to it.

rbijl@mac.com

Solidus
Aug 30, 2002, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
does anyone know if pcsx uses opengl or hardware rendering for drawing graphics to the screen and what kind of resolutions you can use for gameplay? i checked the flarestorm site today and it has not been updated in over a month (not to mention it still does not offer cd support). if jadam can get this working it would be the only usable emulator under osx and i, for one, would be thrilled.:)

:o About the flarestorm: To think that it was developed by one person alone I think it's progress has been rather fast.
I think it's been a little more than a year since it started and it can already play games...even if they're to choppy to be fun...it can also record the emulator screen to a .mov file...and it does support CD, try it. ;)

Oh, also...might wanna check this out: http://www.vgspage.cjb.net/

FattyMembrane
Aug 30, 2002, 11:10 AM
thanks for the info on flarestorm solidus. i have to agree with you that for a complete re-write from os9 it is a very impressive program (far better than anything i could do). i've been a little apprehensive about running one of the alpha versions but i guess i'll have to give it a try.

edit: does anyone know what kind of hardware you need to run either of these emulators smoothly? i remember cvgs running on a revA imac, but do these new ones require a more powerful machine?

cb911
Aug 31, 2002, 02:49 AM
i just got that 'Flarestorm' thing, haven't tried it out yet and the only way i'm finding out what it says is through the Sherlock translator. if anyone has any info on it, about it i could use all the help i can get.

i've got a 667 TiBook with 768MB RAM & the 32MB video card. (Yay!!:D ) if anyone can help me with it... please do!!:D

and if anyone knows of other emulators, might as well post them here, i'll have a look at them as well...:)

Solidus
Aug 31, 2002, 04:24 PM
You need a PS BIOS file for it to run...to have one is illegal if you don't own a playstation so most of the information-only sites don't offer it...drop me a mail and I'll send it to you (solidfox@mac.com), or you can search for it. It's filename is:
SCPH1001.BIN
I think it could be SCPH1002.BIN or SCPH1003.BIN too...since there's different versions of the ps...anyways...you'šll find more information about it here: http://www.vgspage.cjb.net/

rice_web
Aug 31, 2002, 05:02 PM
Since I'm getting a new iMac pretty soon, I would definitely love to see a decent PSX emulator for OS X.

FattyMembrane
Sep 9, 2002, 01:09 PM
is there any new information on the mac port of pcsx? this thread seemed to dry up a while ago and i was just wondering if there's any info or progress report. i've already started buying some used psx games in anticipation.

jadam
Sep 15, 2002, 07:31 PM
school :(

FattyMembrane
Sep 17, 2002, 05:52 PM
ugh... i hear that. nothing like school to kill your free time.

dnte42
Sep 17, 2002, 07:22 PM
Yup, that's how it goes. Throw in a part-time job, mix, and even more fun!