PDA

View Full Version : Apple missed the PR bandwagon

NEENAHBOY
Nov 22, 2004, 11:17 PM
Dunno if anyone saw Oprah today, but it just so happened to be her "Favorite Things 2004" episode, in which the audience received Sony Vaios (not so bad, I guess) and (gasp!) Dell DJs! Call me crazy, but I thought the objective of the show was to REWARD the hard-working teachers in the audience??? My question: where the HELL was Apple??? In exchange for a few hundred iPods and iBooks, they get a coveted ten seconds of advertising and a lifetime of audience appreciation on the number-one daytime talk show. Having your products peddled by Oprah is no small deal. They missed the boat on this one.

varmit
Nov 23, 2004, 09:01 AM
Dunno if anyone saw Oprah today, but it just so happened to be her "Favorite Things 2004" episode, in which the audience received Sony Vaios (not so bad, I guess) and (gasp!) Dell DJs! Call me crazy, but I thought the objective of the show was to REWARD the hard-working teachers in the audience??? My question: where the HELL was Apple??? In exchange for a few hundred iPods and iBooks, they get a coveted ten seconds of advertising and a lifetime of audience appreciation on the number-one daytime talk show. Having your products peddled by Oprah is no small deal. They missed the boat on this one.

Because its best to have the person switch themselves. Otherwise, the people feel cornered, and feel like they don't know if they know how to use the Mac. I have noticed when I try and show something to a new person on the mac, especially my mom who just switched, the person just thinks they don't know what to do. My mom can use word on a PC just fine, but on the Mac, she calls me in to find out how to save the document she just made. Its like, what the hell is wrong with you, you click the same little disk icon that is in the same spot as a PC to save it. I guess she just hasn't gotten use to it yet, but still, its not as complicated as people think, but they end up making it complicated in their heads.

Plus Dell and Sony are not doing well with those products, so they need to do something to get people to notice. I bet half the people sold the DJ when they got home to someone on ebay. Plus, I believe there is taxes that need to be payed on the gifts by the people who got the PC and DJ, so Opra is kind of screwing her guests.

PlaceofDis
Nov 23, 2004, 09:26 AM
yes there are taxes, even the people who got the 'free' cars because they couldnt afford a new one had to pay taxes

however, Oprah could have at least given away iPods or iPod minis to her audience rather than the Dell DJ, that at least would have made sense, giving them iBooks or Powerbooks might not have worked to be honest

abhishekit
Nov 23, 2004, 09:42 AM
Lot of those dell DJs would be coming soon on ebay I guess, and the audience would be ordering iPods.

RBMaraman
Nov 23, 2004, 09:48 AM

She does this "Favorite Things" list every year, and she has said that once she puts something on the list, it won't reappear on another list. The iPod was on last years list, and she gave away iPod's to her entire audience in April of last year. So, they got the PR last year. As for the iBook not being on their, Apple doesn't control that. Oprah personally selects these items based on recommendations from her staff and things she see's. On her "After the show" show, she said that she saw the VAIO notebooks at several teaching conferences she spoke at, that's why she bought them.

Daveway
Nov 23, 2004, 10:55 AM
I'm guilty of watching Oprahs give aways however i missed it yeasterday. I would think Oprah would have picked an iBook considering that most rich and sophisticated people have macs. (and i know i'll get bombed for this one)