PDA

View Full Version : Getting a job at apple... what a pain! But worth it.

earthtoandy
Nov 23, 2004, 01:19 AM
I recently applied to an Apple retail store... ok by recently i mean continuously for every position for a very long time! But i got an interview recently. Waited for the background check and call back. Finally got that but there was a problem.. my drivers License came back as invalid. Ok must be a typo lets give them the right one and get it sorted out. Well it took forever (couple weeks maybe) for corporate to finally get back to the store manager and now I have to call the background check people and find out why my id comes up invalid. At least now its in my hands and Ican fix what needs to be fixed. But the whole time the manager has been real nice "Sorry about this." "No worries we still wanna hire you" "this is all thats standing in the way!". So its nice they have stuck by me and are still interested in hiring me but this wait has been painful... so hopefully tomorrow it will all be sorted out and I will have a job at apple!

How sweet that job will be and the payoff will way outweigh what I had to deal with... but damn!

zimv20
Nov 23, 2004, 02:55 AM
how intense of a background check did they do? and what's their drug testing policy, if any?

sorryiwasdreami
Nov 23, 2004, 03:00 AM
And where (city, state) are you trying to get hired?

earthtoandy
Nov 23, 2004, 03:08 AM

cb911
Nov 23, 2004, 04:03 AM
hope all goes well with that... :)

when i first saw the title of the thread i thought you were talking about a job at Apple HQ in Cupertino. :eek: a pain, but worth it? a couple of guys have quit Apple in the last couple of weeks... obviously some people don't think it's worth it. but an Apple retail store is a whole differnt situation. i actually don't think i'd mind working in one of those places. :)

when you do get the job (i'm being hopefully optimistic :p) just make sure you don't go quoting specs unless you're sure about them, and i'm sure you will be. but at a Apple re-seller near me, there's one guy there, and he just talks stuff that he doesn't know a thing about. my bro (with a PC laptop) went in there looking to buy an STM backpack, and took out this PC to see if fit - and as soon as the guy saw it he just kept saying how PowerBooks were better. :D and my bro was like "yes, my bro has one - he bought it here." :D the salesperson wasn't rude, but he's an older guy - it's just enthusiasm i guess, but it's kind of funny. :p

earthtoandy
Dec 1, 2004, 01:50 AM
well that dumb company finally got it figured out! i had to go to the dmv and rpint ou a 5 year report on my license to get them to figure it out. oh well.

Went down today and finished all paperwork (lots of things to sign like inteledtual property agreements) and will start thursday.

blackpeter
Dec 1, 2004, 02:15 AM
Awesome place. The basement area is very neat. and all the people are so laid back and awesome. As the general manager says to me "of course while youre on the floor you are courteous, polite and very nice to the customers... but down here you will hear every cuss word in the book!" ha, my kind of place.

Just a little advice from a former Apple employee...

One thing you will have to kiss goodbye is posting any further comments on this or other "rumor" sites. Your contract with Apple strictly forbids any such behavior and, believe me, Apple takes this sort of thing very seriously. You now represent the company, so even one comment (however small) is grounds for termination. Just ask your manager. He/She will explain this to you in more detail.

Enjoy your time there. Apple can be a great place to work.

MacFan26
Dec 1, 2004, 02:41 AM
As the general manager says to me "of course while youre on the floor you are courteous, polite and very nice to the customers... but down here you will hear every cuss word in the book!" ha, my kind of place.
Did that happen to be Daniel Carbonneau? (sp?) I'd talked to him a number of times over the past couple of years there, my mom bought an iBook from him, my dad got an iMac, haha :) I'm not sure he's still there though, it's been a while since I've been there. Great place though, it would be awesome if you get the job there :)

earthtoandy
Dec 1, 2004, 02:51 AM
oh yeah i know... i wouldnt do such a thing anyway. Besides all i do is talk outta my butt anyway... all opinions and guesses.:) If i have knowledge on something I wont post. Tech talk and everything should be fine as long as i dont divulge any apple secrets or knowledge.
i am excited to start though. I will be getting paid for what i do already. And surronded by such beauty all day! oh joy.

So you liked working for apple?

umm the General managers name is Bill so I guess not. Havent met a daniel yet either.

tdhurst
Dec 1, 2004, 04:11 AM
oh yeah i know... i wouldnt do such a thing anyway. Besides all i do is talk outta my butt anyway... all opinions and guesses.:) If i have knowledge on something I wont post. Tech talk and everything should be fine as long as i dont divulge any apple secrets or knowledge.
i am excited to start though. I will be getting paid for what i do already. And surronded by such beauty all day! oh joy.

umm the General managers name is Bill so I guess not. Havent met a daniel yet either.

I recently left your exact store. Here are some quick tips...double check what ppl are buying...don't sell the wrong ram, printers without usb cords or mini docks with regular iPods. You will make the rest of the store look bad.
Try to HELP ppl, not sell them things. You don't work on commission (so it doesn't "matter" anyway) but the more customers like you the much more likely they will bring their friends in to buy stuff.
Last...if you don't know, don't lie. It's not a bad thing to not know everything...but it's terrible to pretend that you do.

TheGimp
Dec 1, 2004, 07:41 AM
I recently left your exact store. Here are some quick tips...double check what ppl are buying...don't sell the wrong ram, printers without usb cords or mini docks with regular iPods. You will make the rest of the store look bad.
Try to HELP ppl, not sell them things. You don't work on commission (so it doesn't "matter" anyway) but the more customers like you the much more likely they will bring their friends in to buy stuff.
Last...if you don't know, don't lie. It's not a bad thing to not know everything...but it's terrible to pretend that you do.

You won't get the job. Your id coming up invalid means you're a terrorist in their eyes. I had glowing recommendations (so Apple said) from my previous two employers as well as from my Boston College physics professor (personal recommendation), flawless credit, no legal record, stable residence, knowledge of system 7 through OSX etc, etc.
Still, I DIDN'T get the job due to a temp agency listed on my application which purged its employment records 4-5 years ago (those little agencies move around alot). Thus, even though all other references checked out (and I offered to provide Apple as many backup references as it would take), those little sticklers at the independent background check agency insisted that I call the IRS to have them *mail* me tax records proving employment there, etc. By that time it had already been over 3 weeks since applying to Apple, and I needed to get a job before the summer ended! The worse thing about the whole ordeal is that the Apple Store manager (in chestnut hill, Ma) said to me within days of my applying "I totally want you on board". This pledge of confidence is what kept me around, calling Apple to check in on the application status, and ultimately set me up for a *big* disappointment (and a pocket devoid of spending money that Summer).

Don't put any eggs in their basket!!!

crazzyeddie
Dec 1, 2004, 07:52 AM
What was the interview like? Did they just ask you questions regarding your knowledge of the products? I just applied to my local Apple Store for a job, and without any prior formal job, I just wanted to be prepared for anything they might throw at me!

tdhurst
Dec 1, 2004, 08:15 AM
Well, that happens. Yours is an unfortunate circumstance, but you should always check your references and such before you submit an application. Who said getting a job should be easy?

wdlove
Dec 1, 2004, 11:34 AM
oh yeah i know... i wouldn't do such a thing anyway. Besides all i do is talk outta my butt anyway... all opinions and guesses.:) If i have knowledge on something I wont post. Tech talk and everything should be fine as long as i dont divulge any apple secrets or knowledge.
i am excited to start though. I will be getting paid for what i do already. And surrounded by such beauty all day! oh joy.

umm the General managers name is Bill so I guess not. Haven't met a daniel yet either.

Just be careful earthtoandy. With all the trouble that you have gone through, it would be a shame not to make it a success. Nothing really worthwhile is easy. You must be a good fellow or they would have not hired you.

MacFan26
Dec 1, 2004, 11:37 AM
okay nevermind then, at one point in time there was a daniel that worked there, lol :)

blackpeter
Dec 1, 2004, 12:15 PM
oh yeah i know... i wouldnt do such a thing anyway. Besides all i do is talk outta my butt anyway... all opinions and guesses.:)

Again, talk to your manager. ANY posting on rumor sites could be grounds for termination, not just speculation about future products. They could have changed the policy since I left, but I doubt it. I don't want to be a buzzkill, but while I was at Apple, a retail employee was fired just for posting on an Apple forum. His posts weren't about rumors or Apple products either.

Apple takes this stuff VERY seriously and Steve generally dislikes the rumor sites. They don't want employees participating in these discussions at all. My advice, if you like your new job, is to just read and keep your opinions to yourself - regardless of what the subject might be. That's what I had to do...

earthtoandy
Dec 1, 2004, 12:20 PM
TheGimp, trust me i know. this whole time i have thouhgt "this si too much of a hassle to hire someone.. i mean it took weeks for that damn background check company to get their stuff straight. But the general manager kept going to bat for me and kept reassuring me not to worry and that they stiull wanted me. And it eventually paind off and I am hired and start tomorrow. Most anxiety i have had over something like this simply because i want it so bad. So either my manager is just a good guy who stuck by his word or my interview was that good! haha.

As for the interview, i think the main idea is to go in their relaxed and knowing that you can do the job and do it well. He aksed all sorts of stuff like "how do you keep up with technology" "do you consider yourself more a hardware guy or a software guy" " what programs do you know?" and the big one i think "what do you think it is that we do here?". After he asked me everything he just went on to talk about what their mission is and all this stuff. The interview lasted for lik 40 minutes.

and thanks for the advice for those who are giving it.

earthtoandy
Dec 1, 2004, 12:22 PM
Again, talk to your manager. ANY posting on rumor sites could be grounds for termination, not just speculation about future products. They could have changed the policy since I left, but I doubt it. I don't want to be a buzzkill, but while I was at Apple, a retail employee was fired just for posting on an Apple forum. His posts weren't about rumors or Apple products either.

Apple takes this stuff VERY seriously and Steve generally dislikes the rumor sites. They don't want employees participating in these discussions at all. My advice, if you like your new job, is to just read and keep your opinions to yourself. That's what I had to do*
gotcha, will do. I guess i will just get my mac fix a the store.

Windowlicker
Dec 1, 2004, 12:26 PM
I don't know anything about applying for a job in the States. So is it just Apple or do you need to run through a background check everytime you apply for any job?

I'm asking this because for me for instance I just wrote an email with some school papers scanned on it and they took me on an interview. It wasn't Apple that hired me though (but an apple reseller).. Sure there are jobs that need a background check here too (for example Nokia seems to check everyone pretty well), but this job I have now seems pretty similar to what it's in an Apple Store... :P

tech4all
Dec 1, 2004, 12:27 PM
Awesome place. The basement area is very neat. and all the people are so laid back and awesome. As the general manager says to me "of course while youre on the floor you are courteous, polite and very nice to the customers... but down here you will hear every cuss word in the book!" ha, my kind of place.

Apple stores have basements? Or is that just a neat name for the break room? :D

btw: congrats on your job! :)

TheGimp
Dec 1, 2004, 08:45 PM
What was the interview like? Did they just ask you questions regarding your knowledge of the products? I just applied to my local Apple Store for a job, and without any prior formal job, I just wanted to be prepared for anything they might throw at me!

The interview was very informal and the interviewer was very friendly and relaxed. He asked me questions like: What aspect of serving customers gives you the greatest satisfaction?; Do you thrive in a busy environment?. He wanted to make sure that I'm not a 'hard sell'; that I wouldn't send grandma home with a dual G5 when all she wanted was to look at her grandkids in iPhoto and listen to Elvis on her iPod. He wasn't very concerned about my level of knowledge beyond the fact that I knew my way around OSX and some common software. It was one of the most pleasant interviews I had ever had.

Which is why I was all the more miffed by their treatment.

Anyway, I was able to recoup some the wastedtime (=money) waiting for a reply by doing a little soft pushing with the help of a little blue frog... made a whole lot more money that summer, and even honed my 'logic' to boot. Apple sure knows how to make friends.

TheGimp
Dec 1, 2004, 08:50 PM
I don't know anything about applying for a job in the States. So is it just Apple or do you need to run through a background check everytime you apply for any job?

I'm asking this because for me for instance I just wrote an email with some school papers scanned on it and they took me on an interview. It wasn't Apple that hired me though (but an apple reseller).. Sure there are jobs that need a background check here too (for example Nokia seems to check everyone pretty well), but this job I have now seems pretty similar to what it's in an Apple Store... :P

If my experience is any indication: Don't be of Arab descent. However, I'm sure it's OK if you wear an Aphex Twin T-shirt to the interview.

Mechcozmo
Dec 1, 2004, 11:22 PM
I wanna work at an Apple Store. Gotta be 18 though. Maybe they take 17 year olds? :rolleyes:

Have to have something to look forward to.....

imac abuser
Dec 2, 2004, 01:25 AM
going to be working at the biltmore? We need hook ups ;) hehe

chris

DreaminDirector
Dec 2, 2004, 02:47 AM

Apple takes this stuff VERY seriously and Steve generally dislikes the rumor sites. They don't want employees participating in these discussions at all. My advice, if you like your new job, is to just read and keep your opinions to yourself - regardless of what the subject might be. That's what I had to do...

Yeah, take it from an ex-employee as well. My store was not to keen on us being on MacRumors or any of the other sites. The problem is not really rumors (since as Retail employees you hear about practically nothing), it's that if you start speculating or saying things like "yeah, I hear the new iPod is coming out too and we're low on stock on the current ones" that some customers take that as gospel. Managers scold you if you say anything that sounds like a rumor or opinion. Honestly, it's a retail job that doesn't pay commission.

Don't get me wrong, I loved it while I was there. But as time progressed, there were less "fanatic apple fan" employees and more "let's get the bottom line numbers up" salespeople. I know, I know, Apple is a business and that is the nature of commerce. But when I started (which was from the opening of the store), there were guys there who sounded alot like the guys from here at MacRumors; excited about the brand, knew their hardware in and out, and we're pros on practically every piece of software. Slowly, they were replaced with retail people. What once was a fun place where you could spend two hours showing someone the fine details of Final Cut became a statement like "Final Cut is right here, what else would you like to buy?".

I guess the lesson I learned from all of it is "Don't mix business with Pleasure". I love Apple, I love all of my Macs, but I don't think I would ever want to try and sell one in a retail setting again. Eh, maybe I wasn't cut of to be in retail.

Good luck with the job. Enjoy the HUGE number of Apple shirts they give you. You get so many, you could almost wear a new one each time you come in to work.

earthtoandy
Dec 2, 2004, 02:54 AM
is it sad that one of the things i am most excited about is the shirts!? haha

yeah i understand what you are saying. this store seems to have a good soul to it. the manager talked about how they are there to help people are are against the idea of forcing hardware out the door for the sake of numbers. "we dont need to" he says. I feel real good about it. Tomorrow is the first day. exciting!

wPod
Dec 2, 2004, 08:49 AM
kinda on the same topic. . . .

what is the 'right stuff' to work at apple? im a college student and could only work part time, and od hours . . . but i have a lot of computer experience and mac experience (and well of course i LOVE macs!!!)

what about applying, on-line, in person, what is the best approach? there are two stores here in dallas so i guess that would double my possiblities for jobs!

jsw
Dec 2, 2004, 09:12 AM
Yeah, take it from an ex-employee as well. My store was not to keen on us being on MacRumors or any of the other sites. The problem is not really rumors (since as Retail employees you hear about practically nothing), it's that if you start speculating or saying things like "yeah, I hear the new iPod is coming out too and we're low on stock on the current ones" that some customers take that as gospel. Managers scold you if you say anything that sounds like a rumor or opinion. Honestly, it's a retail job that doesn't pay commission.

Don't get me wrong, I loved it while I was there. But as time progressed, there were less "fanatic apple fan" employees and more "let's get the bottom line numbers up" salespeople. I know, I know, Apple is a business and that is the nature of commerce. ....

The thing is, I don't see the "sales-focused" approach working. I've been to a number of Apple Stores (six so far), many of which I've visited a number of different times (so as to see different staff), and what I've seen is that the sales - the number of boxes people carry out the door - are higher when employee enthusiasm is higher and the staff actually spends time showing people how fun and useful Macs can be. It seems like, anymore, most Apple Stores are practically sterile. You walk in, you see the Macs, and you walk out.

On Black Friday, we were in Syracuse, NY, and when my wife was out shopping with friends in the Carousel Mall, I spent my time around the brand spanking new mini Apple Store there. First, I just walked in and looked around. The mini stores (or at least this one) are pretty much half iPod/half iMac and iBook. This one had no PowerMacs and no eMacs on display. Still, a nice setup given the small space. After about 5 minutes, I went to sit on the bench outside and listened to an audiobook on my iPod. My wife can spend many hours shopping, esp. when with friends, so I'm used to this. Thank God for the iPod. Anyway, I saw lots and lots of people walk in, look, and walk out. I figured that most of them weren't like me - used to Macs, used to Apple Stores, familiar with everything in there. I also noticed that none of the Apple employees was doing much except for answering questions - no real attempts to demonstrate anything unless they were asked and then only briefly. So, I walked back in. I have no experience selling anything aside from some pretty poor results from selling popcorn and candy in junior high. Anyway, I saw a woman and her son feebly trying to do something on an iMac, and no one was helping her. At the time, the employee/customer ratio was greater than one, so there was no excuse. I asked her what she was trying to do, started talking with them, and got her excited about a lot of the OS X features and iLife apps. She walked out with a 20" iMac. People who had been watching this asked a few questions. One bought a 14" iBook. One was so impressed she bought three (!) 12" iBooks for her grandkids (I loved my grandparents, but I never got anything close to that nice from them...). So... 10 minutes in the store, 5 Macs purchased. Approximately an hour of watching before that while listening to "Speaker for the Dead": zero Macs sold. Coincidence, perhaps, but unlikely.

Not only that, but the store had almost no display of the sales going on - tiny red tags. Why they didn't have a big red banner or poster board loudly announcing "$101 off all iMacs! iPods on sale!" or whatever puzzles me still.

So... while I understand the "retail" approach, I think that people who are potential Mac customers will respond a lot better to positive proactive demos and help as opposed to sterile only-answer-questions-briefly techniques.

So, earthtoandy, while I know you can't respond anymore now that you're officially one of "them" (;)), please try to give people a reason to be interested when they walk in. I haven't been to the Phoenix store - but the one in Tucson, when I visited, was quite uninviting. Well, not uninviting, just not inviting. The employees were superfluous and made no impact on people who entered - people would have been just as likely to decide to buy a Mac if they'd entered the store when it was unstaffed. Don't let that be the case with your customers!

Mechcozmo
Dec 2, 2004, 09:13 AM
Good luck with the job. Enjoy the HUGE number of Apple shirts they give you. You get so many, you could almost wear a new one each time you come in to work.

They used to give out T-shirts whenever you bought a Mac, too. :)

Not anymore. :(

imac abuser
Dec 2, 2004, 09:59 AM
Wow some great information. I kinda felt that way about some apple store employees. The ones that are hard core sales people lol. What happened to the mac geeks? Is that what happens when Apple's sales desires harden your heart lol hehe

j/k
chris

stevehaslip
Dec 2, 2004, 10:08 AM
The thing is, I don't see the "sales-focused" approach working. I've been to a number of Apple Stores (six so far), many of which I've visited a number of different times (so as to see different staff), and what I've seen is that the sales - the number of boxes people carry out the door - are higher when employee enthusiasm is higher and the staff actually spends time showing people how fun and useful Macs can be. It seems like, anymore, most Apple Stores are practically sterile. You walk in, you see the Macs, and you walk out.

On Black Friday, we were in Syracuse, NY, and when my wife was out shopping with friends in the Carousel Mall, I spent my time around the brand spanking new mini Apple Store there. First, I just walked in and looked around. The mini stores (or at least this one) are pretty much half iPod/half iMac and iBook. This one had no PowerMacs and no eMacs on display. Still, a nice setup given the small space. After about 5 minutes, I went to sit on the bench outside and listened to an audiobook on my iPod. My wife can spend many hours shopping, esp. when with friends, so I'm used to this. Thank God for the iPod. Anyway, I saw lots and lots of people walk in, look, and walk out. I figured that most of them weren't like me - used to Macs, used to Apple Stores, familiar with everything in there. I also noticed that none of the Apple employees was doing much except for answering questions - no real attempts to demonstrate anything unless they were asked and then only briefly. So, I walked back in. I have no experience selling anything aside from some pretty poor results from selling popcorn and candy in junior high. Anyway, I saw a woman and her son feebly trying to do something on an iMac, and no one was helping her. At the time, the employee/customer ratio was greater than one, so there was no excuse. I asked her what she was trying to do, started talking with them, and got her excited about a lot of the OS X features and iLife apps. She walked out with a 20" iMac. People who had been watching this asked a few questions. One bought a 14" iBook. One was so impressed she bought three (!) 12" iBooks for her grandkids (I loved my grandparents, but I never got anything close to that nice from them...). So... 10 minutes in the store, 5 Macs purchased. Approximately an hour of watching before that while listening to "Speaker for the Dead": zero Macs sold. Coincidence, perhaps, but unlikely.

Not only that, but the store had almost no display of the sales going on - tiny red tags. Why they didn't have a big red banner or poster board loudly announcing "$101 off all iMacs! iPods on sale!" or whatever puzzles me still.

So... while I understand the "retail" approach, I think that people who are potential Mac customers will respond a lot better to positive proactive demos and help as opposed to sterile only-answer-questions-briefly techniques.

So, earthtoandy, while I know you can't respond anymore now that you're officially one of "them" (;)), please try to give people a reason to be interested when they walk in. I haven't been to the Phoenix store - but the one in Tucson, when I visited, was quite uninviting. Well, not uninviting, just not inviting. The employees were superfluous and made no impact on people who entered - people would have been just as likely to decide to buy a Mac if they'd entered the store when it was unstaffed. Don't let that be the case with your customers!

I think i know what you mean, i have only been to the regent street store here in London but on day 1, the big opening everyone was happy faces and mega helpful! i went in today, not a very busy time i thought but there were still alot of people in there and the apple staff weren't half as bouncy and happy as they were before. strange huh? people were being helped etc but on that first day it was amazing, it was almost business as usual today where as before they made you feel special even if you didn't end up buying something. (i did though, i have no control:() they need to keep people feeling good and special in order to get them to part with massive amounts of cash, otherwise if having a mac wasn't better then why stop using your windows pc? its the whole package that they should be trying to sell.

Not that i am trying to say that if you own a mac you are automatically happy.....wait a minute! :)

Stampyhead
Dec 2, 2004, 10:13 AM
I go into the Chandler (AZ) Apple Store all the time (the store manager recognizes me as a "regular," how sad is that?) and I always see the employees talking to customers and showing them how things work, etc. I think it's important the the Apple Stores hire people (like JSW! Good job) who love macs and will demonstrate them to people out of a desire to spread the good word rather than just to make a sale.
Congratulations on your job, earthtoandy, if I'm ever in the Biltmore store I'll come over and say hi.

DreaminDirector
Dec 2, 2004, 12:23 PM

I agree with you 100%, jsw. I sort of minimized my experience into a paragraph which lost alot of the good about working there. I sold alot of computers on enthusiasm and getting to know the person and their needs. Be friendly and know not only about the apple hardware (and software) but know when it's right for certain people. I've downsold people from Final Cut Pro to iLife because it fit what they wanted to do as a final product. And remember, not everyone who comes in there are going to be Apple fans. There's alot of PC users who have secretly walked in there because they want to switch. Treat these people with as much kindness and hard facts as you can find. They are the biggest fans when you show them the good things about Apple.

I think i know what you mean, i have only been to the regent street store here in London but on day 1, the big opening everyone was happy faces and mega helpful! i went in today, not a very busy time i thought but there were still alot of people in there and the apple staff weren't half as bouncy and happy as they were before. strange huh? people were being helped etc but on that first day it was amazing, it was almost business as usual today where as before they made you feel special even if you didn't end up buying something. (i did though, i have no control) they need to keep people feeling good and special in order to get them to part with massive amounts of cash, otherwise if having a mac wasn't better then why stop using your windows pc? its the whole package that they should be trying to sell.

I think it's because the management hires all of the Apple superfans for their grand openings of the store and slowly adds the hardlined retail sales guys later. But I think that's part of what Apple is, you know. It's the sex appeal of the brand that brings you in (not as in sex with computer, but as in the attraction to them :) ).

The thing is, I don't see the "sales-focused" approach working.

One last thing about this (I see that I'm finally venting about my experience at Apple, so I'll be off my soapbox after this....) is a funny story:
When I was working there, the 17" powerbook we just announced. When we finally got a few of them in stock, a guy, who had been calling every day for about a month, came down to get one. Now, when he got there, he was giddy with excitement, but the sales guy started to push Applecare on him. The guy declined and the sales guy pushed again. Another decline. I watched as this guy, who came in excited, started to think about this big purchase. The sales guy got one of our assistant managers, and had them push Applecare on this guy. Finally, the straw broke and this once happy guy had an outburst in the middle of the store. He said, almost screaming "what is so wrong with this computer that I need to make sure I have a warranty on it? I no longer trust that's it's going to last me over a year". And of course sprinkle that quote with some profanities and some finger pointing. The guy left without powerbook in tow. The manager was told of the incident, we had a meeting about sales tactics, but in the end, policies were never changed. I guess that wasn't too funny of a story. Oh well...

At any rate, enjoy the shirts, earthtoandy. I still have a bunch of them. I wear the simple apple ones from time to time. Most importantly, enjoy yourself there. Don't get caught up in the sales end of it. Make people feel good about getting a Mac and they'll make you feel like a hero for a day.

asif786
Dec 2, 2004, 12:39 PM
I think i know what you mean, i have only been to the regent street store here in London but on day 1, the big opening everyone was happy faces and mega helpful! i went in today, not a very busy time i thought but there were still alot of people in there and the apple staff weren't half as bouncy and happy as they were before. strange huh? people were being helped etc but on that first day it was amazing, it was almost business as usual today where as before they made you feel special even if you didn't end up buying something. (i did though, i have no control:() they need to keep people feeling good and special in order to get them to part with massive amounts of cash, otherwise if having a mac wasn't better then why stop using your windows pc? its the whole package that they should be trying to sell.

Not that i am trying to say that if you own a mac you are automatically happy.....wait a minute! :)

Dont forget on the first day, there's all the full timers, all the part timers, and a load of staff from Apple retail USA (admin staff, but they were dressed like store employees on opening day).

I was speaking with the manager the other day, and he said they didnt quite expect the crowds they are currently getting, so they are going to be hiring more people over the coming weeks. It could just be that Apple underestimated the number of people that would shop there.

In terms of the staff, I've found them to be very friendly. Once you engage in conversation with them, they seem to remember you the next time round. For instance, I was talking to one female staff member at the start of the week about my iMac delivery delays, and when I went in today she walked straight up to me and she was like 'So! Did you get it? Has it arrived yet?, Do you like it?'

Overall the staff seem very friendly to me, and hopefully it should be even better when there are some more staff during the christmas period.. :)

/asif

DanTekGeek
Dec 2, 2004, 02:34 PM
what kind of certifications, if any do you have. do they require any?

DreaminDirector
Dec 2, 2004, 02:45 PM
what kind of certifications, if any do you have. do they require any?

To be a mac specialist, none. But if you want to step up to the genius bar, you have to be an Apple Certified Tech.

exappleretail
Dec 28, 2004, 08:53 PM
The reason why there is no motivation is simple -- staff are expected to "attach" .Mac, AppleCare, and ProCare. They do not have any ability to beat MacMall prices. They are constantly berated with questions about how Macs aren't "compatible" without any defintion of what compatible is. They are not properly trained. There is very little room for promotion. And so on and so on. The problems with Apple Retail are much deeper than sharing the love, it's about being expected to be enthusiastic while having to worry about stupid crap that Apple shouldn't be putting on it's staff...

CubaTBird
Dec 28, 2004, 09:43 PM
hey guys, i have been SERIOUSLY thinking about becoming an apple store employee this summer... i am thinkin of working for about two months or so, or part time... my question is, what is the pay, is it minimum wage or do they pay on commision? also, i will be 18 by this summer and just about to start college, that shouldn't be a prob, would it?

DreaminDirector
Dec 28, 2004, 09:45 PM
The problems with Apple Retail are much deeper than sharing the love, it's about being expected to be enthusiastic while having to worry about stupid crap that Apple shouldn't be putting on it's staff...

Here, here to that! I was part of the store opening staff, who was all uber-enthusiasts. Slowly they were replaced by the people who had to look over spec sheets and product lists before they went on to the floor. I can tell you that none of the original staff ever accidently said "oh ess ex".

Ah, they aren't all bad. And it's not their fault either. I'm just venting.....

iJon
Dec 28, 2004, 11:41 PM
Just a little advice from a former Apple employee...

One thing you will have to kiss goodbye is posting any further comments on this or other "rumor" sites. Your contract with Apple strictly forbids any such behavior and, believe me, Apple takes this sort of thing very seriously. You now represent the company, so even one comment (however small) is grounds for termination. Just ask your manager. He/She will explain this to you in more detail.

Enjoy your time there. Apple can be a great place to work.
What if you just participate in say the community discussions and things like that. He has already blown it, but I was going to say they have no way of knowing who you are, and as long as your not stupid and share secrets or anything that breaches an NDA you would probably be fine. "Fine" as in not getting caught, not fine by Apple's standards.

jon

iJon
Dec 28, 2004, 11:45 PM
hey guys, i have been SERIOUSLY thinking about becoming an apple store employee this summer... i am thinkin of working for about two months or so, or part time... my question is, what is the pay, is it minimum wage or do they pay on commision? also, i will be 18 by this summer and just about to start college, that shouldn't be a prob, would it?
Probably is a problem. I doubt they are looking at hiring people to just work for two months and leave them. Plus your 18, I don't know how Apple works but I doubt they hire people that young, but I could be wrong. Maybe I'll find out one day though. If I was to ever move from this town say to a bigger city with a store I would probably apply. It would be the only job where I feel home, plus I wouldn't need any certs of training of any kind, already good to go.

jon

MacFan26
Dec 28, 2004, 11:48 PM
Plus your 18, I don't know how Apple works but I doubt they hire people that young, but I could be wrong.
jon
They do, 18 is the youngest they hire. I don't know if there's any luck in summer jobs though, they tend to want to keep people with them for a while.

DreaminDirector
Dec 28, 2004, 11:50 PM
They do, 18 is the youngest they hire. I don't know if there's any luck in summer jobs though, they tend to want to keep people with them for a while.

I have to vouch for that as well. I left after 8 months and they weren't too happy...

iJon
Dec 28, 2004, 11:52 PM
No, I understand that's the min age, it's just the Apple Stores I have been too I haven't seen anyone that young. They might be biased towards young 18 y/o's cause of lack of experience or anything else they could pin to them.

jon

sjpetry
Dec 29, 2004, 12:44 AM
The Apple store on Michigan Ave. in Chicago has the most helpful staff of any Apple store I have been in. They actually cared about my problem, so if you are ever in Chicago I recommend checking it out. :)

MacFan26
Dec 29, 2004, 12:46 AM
No, I understand that's the min age, it's just the Apple Stores I have been too I haven't seen anyone that young.
oh, okay sorry :o I haven't seen anyone that young either, although I've seen early 20s.

kasei
Dec 29, 2004, 02:17 AM

He's right about postings. I worked at the Apple Store at the Grove in LA and the Intellectual Property Rights document and the Non Disclousure Agreements are pretty strict. I asked about forums and the manager told me it would be a breach of the NDA if any information about how the store operates is divulged as well as future product releases. You may want to watch how much information you give about the storage basement as well as the interview process as both of these fall under their NDA.

Good luck. It is a cool place to work and the people are really great.

iJon
Dec 29, 2004, 02:22 AM
He's right about postings. I worked at the Apple Store at the Grove in LA and the Intellectual Property Rights document and the Non Disclousure Agreements are pretty strict. I asked about forums and the manager told me it would be a breach of the NDA if any information about how the store operates is divulged as well as future product releases. You may want to watch how much information you give about the storage basement as well as the interview process as both of these fall under their NDA.

Good luck. It is a cool place to work and the people are really great.
Yeah that seems more in line. Basically don't go "Hey, my manager told me something new is coming out in a couple of weeks, don't buy." He will need to learn to keep it strictly helping out people or just participating in the community discussion. Last time I remember someone getting fired for all this was some employee who left his web-server open, someone got in and found some pictures of some special software the employees use for internal use only. Pictures were posted and the guy was fired the next day. Take a little common sense into posting here as well as what you tell people about your job and he will probably be fine.

jon

rdowns
Dec 29, 2004, 07:18 AM

No offense but why would Apple want to hire someone (which is expensive; interviewing & background check) and train them for 2 months of part-time employment. Not going to happen.

stephenrydalch
Dec 29, 2004, 09:54 AM
I work at a campus computer store that is an Apple, Dell and Gateway reseller. While my posting on this forum should make it clear where my bias lies, I am very grateful that Apple is NOT my boss. The Apple region rep will visit our store every now and again and tries to act like my boss, despite him having no power over me whatsoever.

He works on commission, I don't. He tries to get us to push powerbooks over iBooks (which I agree with but not for the same reasons as him), Dual G5's over iMacs etc. And if we mention any hint of liking something about one of the Windows computers we sell it's a big problem.

I guess my point is that not everyone in the Apple world lives up to the ideals most people in this forum subscribe to. They are ideals and Apple is trying to run a business. Politics are very much present in their world. But enjoy your new job, it should be a lot of fun if you know what topics to avoid.

-Steve

wdlove
Dec 29, 2004, 02:07 PM
I don't know of all Apple Stores are the same. It seems that my local store has a big turnover. This past Sunday I only recognized 2 out of about 12. Only one of the two was there at the store opening. The newer of the two agreed he said that many have returned to school or just left. I even have thoughts of giving it a try myself.

Xenious
Dec 29, 2004, 02:59 PM
Last I heard on Apple employee discounts they were only on specific items that rotated monthly (from a friend of mine who was a developer working at Apple HQ). What's the discount for Apple store employees? (maybe I need to encourage a family member to work there hahaha)
-jim

JeffTL
Dec 29, 2004, 03:28 PM
Worst experience I ever had at the Apple store was the only time I've had the chance to go in.

I was on vacation to Chicago this summer and was staying at the Delaware Street DoubleTree, just down Michigan Avenue from the Apple Store, so I took a walk one afternoon to go pick up an iPod case...and of course to ogle the G5s and PowerBooks. I got my black iSkin eVo, but when I checked out I got a rather sarcastic employee who asked me if I "wanted an iPod with that." No doubt intended in good fun, but is that really the way to speak to customers? I told him I already had one and that it was working quite well.

Apart from almost hitting the glass stairs on the way out, that was the only bad part of the experience -- especially since I knew that the overly jocular clerk wasn't on commission. When I go into a place of commerce to do business I expect to be treated with respect -- especially at the very moment when I am forking over thirty bucks.

But then again, there probably have been people who have tried to buy the case thinking that the cardboard iPod was the genuine article, so the guy was probably not being as rude as he came across.

timnosenzo
Dec 29, 2004, 04:15 PM
Apart from almost hitting the glass stairs on the way out, that was the only bad part of the experience -- especially since I knew that the overly jocular clerk wasn't on commission. When I go into a place of commerce to do business I expect to be treated with respect -- especially at the very moment when I am forking over thirty bucks.
I think maybe you should lighten up a bit. I'm sure the human being behind the counter was just joking with you, and didn't mean any disrespect.

rock6079
Dec 29, 2004, 07:49 PM
well im hoping to get a job at an apple store. but not for another half of a year, since apple stores in T.O. dont open till mid 05. i wonder how different it will be from the states ?

JeffTL
Jan 2, 2005, 01:01 AM
I think maybe you should lighten up a bit. I'm sure the human being behind the counter was just joking with you, and didn't mean any disrespect.

I wasn't really offended -- just a bit chafed. Usually cashiers don't try to be humorous in that way. Imagine if you went down to your local grocery, was buying some burger buns, and was asked if you wanted Kobe Beef with that.

Mechcozmo
Jan 2, 2005, 02:45 AM
The Apple guys/girls at the store near us are nice... a little bit less refined than the ones at, say, CompUSA, but I like that better because they are just more human instead of sales machines. And I'd have laughed at that cashier's comment about an iPod, and might have said something like "No thanks to the iPod, but I'll take some fries" if you get what I mean....

JohnC
Jan 9, 2005, 11:54 PM
How do I apply for a job at the apple store? I mean how do I go about applying? Thanks for any help!

alfonsog
Jan 10, 2005, 12:34 AM
I just wanted to say that the Tampa Apple Store is great and everytime I get there (I live 2 hours away) I usually see the same employees and lots of Mac's being sold!

DreaminDirector
Jan 10, 2005, 12:03 PM
How do I apply for a job at the apple store? I mean how do I go about applying? Thanks for any help!

you can see what jobs are around your area if you go to http://jobs.apple.com . I got my job through there. You can also try going in to an apple retail store (if you want to work in the retail side) and talking with the manager. Try catching them when the store isn't busy (their usually in a better mood)....

alienex
Jun 16, 2006, 02:29 PM
If you have a misdeanor speeding ticket, will apple not hire you?

kalisphoenix
Jun 16, 2006, 04:23 PM
I decided not to get a driver's license, since if I did I'd have accidents and stuff. And that would make it hard to become a Apple store person.

alienex
Jun 16, 2006, 05:07 PM
lol.

Seriously though..

tdhurst
Jun 16, 2006, 05:15 PM
I decided not to get a driver's license, since if I did I'd have accidents and stuff. And that would make it hard to become a Apple store person.

What?

mjstew33
Jun 16, 2006, 05:36 PM
alienex, next time look at the dates of the thread. This thread is over a year and a half old (almost), just positive criticism, we all learn. :)

alienex
Jun 16, 2006, 05:49 PM
alienex, next time look at the dates of the thread. This thread is over a year and a half old (almost), just positive criticism, we all learn. :)

Yeah I did. I didnt want to make a new thread. I use the search. I thought it was more of a courtesy to vets on the forum, id rather continue an old topic then start a new one about the same thing. Unless its necessary.

Thanks though.