PDA

View Full Version : My friend just got me a 30" apple display :)

Solafaa
Nov 23, 2004, 04:30 AM
Yesterday my friend got me a 30" apple display screen as a gift :) i ordred 1 when the first came out but cancled it later on, he knew that and got me one and it just got to me and i love it.

The screen is bigger then iimagned and is just amazing, i cant wait till the transfer of files is finished so that i can watch a movie :D

cb911
Nov 23, 2004, 05:01 AM
wow.

:eek:

nice gift.

so what's the res on those things? must be like 10,000x8,500px? :eek: :p

neilrobinson
Nov 23, 2004, 05:12 AM
nice..... :rolleyes:

wish my friends where like that :D

Solafaa
Nov 23, 2004, 05:22 AM
wow.

:eek:

nice gift.

so what's the res on those things? must be like 10,000x8,500px? :eek: :p

2560 x 1600

edesignuk
Nov 23, 2004, 05:38 AM
I just want to be sure...

Your friend paid for, and then gave to you a 30" HD Cinema display?? :eek:

cluthz
Nov 23, 2004, 05:42 AM
But what machine are you using it with?

The machines in your sig isn't capable to run it.

AmigoMac
Nov 23, 2004, 06:05 AM
But what machine are you using it with?

The machines in your sig isn't capable to run it.

He just needs to change the graphic card and Boom! :)

MattG
Nov 23, 2004, 06:54 AM
Your friend bought it for you? Damn I need some new friends!!

zelmo
Nov 23, 2004, 06:55 AM
I'm pretty sure I couldn't even talk my wife into a 30" Cinema HD display (plus the dual 2.5 PM to go with it) without involving tons of platinum/diamond jewelry. That's one pretty special (or imaginary) friend you've got there.

wordmunger
Nov 23, 2004, 07:07 AM
Let me get this straight -- you have a $3300 monitor and a $500 video card, and you're downloading a "free" movie to watch on it? Just checking....

Hoef
Nov 23, 2004, 07:09 AM
Nice .... I bet that playing UT on that beast will give you motion sickness ...

michaelrjohnson
Nov 23, 2004, 09:13 AM
I demand pictures of said theater.

Please? :)

filmmaker2002
Nov 23, 2004, 09:39 AM

It does...he he he

davegoody
Nov 23, 2004, 10:14 AM
WHO in their right mind would buy (and pay for) a 30" Apple screen and then GIVE IT AWAY ???? What machine are you using it on anyway ?

P.S. If you have your friend's number please give it to me, I want to be their friend too ! :confused:

Daveway
Nov 23, 2004, 10:36 AM
I also demand pictures of this setup.

Sound like this friend must be some friend. Maybe he wants more than friendship :rolleyes:

keysersoze
Nov 23, 2004, 11:38 AM

Sound like this friend must be some friend. Maybe he wants more than friendship :rolleyes:

Yeah, I've heard credit cards make good friends... :p

virus1
Nov 23, 2004, 12:35 PM
woah...
and my parents wouldn't even get me an ipod...

Solafaa
Nov 23, 2004, 01:00 PM

lol i hope not.

Pics coming soon.

haiggy
Nov 23, 2004, 02:24 PM
I don't know if there is a better place to rub it in... :rolleyes:

... but man, is your friend and yourself rich? Like how can he just go giving that kind of cash away?

Pics please.

Solafaa
Nov 23, 2004, 02:29 PM

Hold your horses.

MattG
Nov 23, 2004, 02:31 PM
I got to see one of these up close at the Orlando Apple Store two weeks ago...

If I had one of those things, I'd never leave the house ;-)

zelmo
Nov 23, 2004, 02:36 PM
I must admit to being at least skeptical of this one. Having seen the pics, I am no longer skeptical, just extremely jealous and maybe a little bitter. :p

So, what do you have to do to get someone to like you enough to do this for you? Whatever it is, clearly, I have no shot... :eek:

yoak
Nov 23, 2004, 02:53 PM
It´s a monster, a beatuifull monster.
Enjoy

timnosenzo
Nov 23, 2004, 03:42 PM
Jeez people, don't be bashful, say what you think. Someone gets a nice gift and they either want more than a friendship, they're lying or you want to know how much money they make. :rolleyes:

Nice monitor, BTW. :)

-Tim

yadmonkey
Nov 23, 2004, 05:06 PM
I must admit I feel a twinge of jealously, as I dream of replacing my CRT with a 20" Apple display! But then there's rent, car repairs... :(

Congrats on the mammoth display! :D

aplasticspork
Nov 23, 2004, 06:23 PM
dude...can i...borrow your friend? :eek:
--andrzej

iJon
Nov 30, 2004, 12:17 AM
One thing I will point out. I didn't feel like searching to hard so i felt I would post this in the first 30" display thread I found. I was just looking at the 30" box and it says "For Windows" on the box. Now Apple claimed this would not work on a PC. Either they made a mistake on the website or on the box. Personally I think it would work on a PC but I don't have the PC version of the card to try it out.

jon

shompa
Nov 30, 2004, 01:37 AM
To watch movies in good quality on a 30 incher, you NEED to download them.

HD movies 1920x1024
vs
DVDs 720x480 widescreen.

and yes.
The 30´works on a PC. same req as a Mac.

I now just need to find a DDVI switch so I can use the display with both my mac and my PC ala DrBott moniswitch ADC

Mav451
Nov 30, 2004, 02:29 AM
Nice!

not only do I spot a fUnc 1030 mouse pad in there, but do I see another MS "Wheel Mouse Optical" user? Sweet!

Not many Mac users i know that even know what a fUnc pad is, much less use one, so that's a surprise to me. Then again, if you're a gamer, then it is a lil less surprising then.

SiliconAddict
Nov 30, 2004, 12:18 PM
To watch movies in good quality on a 30 incher, you NEED to download them.

HD movies 1920x1024

Where do you download HD movies? Seriously. Unless the studios released them in HD the only medium to get them from is DVD and only a handful of HD formats that are out there. HD-VHS, etc. And if it was originally pulled from a DVD upsampling wouldn't do a dang bit of good.

Oh as for the monitor. Very cool. I had a friend of a friend give me $250 for my birthday. I hardly knew him. He did it because I was in some financial troubles. Car problems. Specifically wheel problems that required new tires, new breaks on one wheel, and a new rim. :( As much as a new monitor is nice and all I consider that even more generous because someone stepped up and didn't get me a gift but got my butt out of a sling. I could have dug myself out but going into the holiday season with debt and such isn't exactly my idea of fun. I just got all my CCards paid off the month before and then the fhit hits the san. :(

sgarringer
Nov 30, 2004, 01:23 PM
Where do you download HD movies? Seriously. Unless the studios released them in HD the only medium to get them from is DVD and only a handful of HD formats that are out there. HD-VHS, etc. And if it was originally pulled from a DVD upsampling wouldn't do a dang bit of good.

Oh as for the monitor. Very cool. I had a friend of a friend give me $250 for my birthday. I hardly knew him. He did it because I was in some financial troubles. Car problems. Specifically wheel problems that required new tires, new breaks on one wheel, and a new rim. :( As much as a new monitor is nice and all I consider that even more generous because someone stepped up and didn't get me a gift but got my butt out of a sling. I could have dug myself out but going into the holiday season with debt and such isn't exactly my idea of fun. I just got all my CCards paid off the month before and then the fhit hits the san. :(

Wow, I dont even give my *girlfriend* $250, and I know what I'm going to get in return for that gift....

Let alone taking a shot in the dark at pissing away $250 on some chic I don't even know!

He he he. But the real question should be, what did he get in exchange for the tires. I'd really like to know what a 30" display gets, I can take a guess what it is, starts with nut, ends with hing... =P

he he he

Windowlicker
Nov 30, 2004, 03:51 PM

It doesn't actually.. but it sure feels as if you're IN the game. We have a 30"er as a demo display at work and I tried out UT2004 and watched some TV and DVDs.. Oh man, I would be willing to rape myself if my friend got me one of those as a present ;)

To be honest.. I'm having hard time believing anyone giving a 30" Apple Cinema Display for someone as a present unless he's a millionaire.

savar
Nov 30, 2004, 04:12 PM

Haha, I think that's a funny idea...wooing a lady with a large LCD screen. What happened to the good old days where affluent men just bought clothes, jewelry, and fancy dinners?

Of course if a girl spent that much money on me I might be persuaded to, ahem...but that's an even more far-fetched scenario than the above. Besides, I think I would take a digital 8-track and new amplifier before a 30 incher.

JeDiBoYTJ
Nov 30, 2004, 05:06 PM

You can get HD movies that were shown on HDTV, like HBO-HD and such. there are tons of them out there. same with TV shows like Smallville that are actually filmed in HD, you can get an HD-rip of the show, and im sure it looks BEAUTIFUL.