Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acejam2k

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out if I should keep my iPhone 4, or go back to my Nexus One. (30 days = this weekend) The iPhone 4 has been great - but I truly miss the Google Navigation on my N1. I can probably live without the tethering for now as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good navigation app on the iPhone 4? I'm willing to spend a couple of bucks, but I don't want to shell out $45. I'm looking for something just like the Google Nav, that features full turn-by-turn.

Thanks,
Ace

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Well if you're going to be cheap and only spend "a couple bucks" and not $45 then dont bother, enjoy that nexus one. If you want to not be el-cheapo, then spend the money and get NAVIGON, it's never done me wrong! Great TTS, Nice 3D MAPPING, quick reroute, nice destination warnings. Runs smooth on the iP4

Pattycerts

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
I bought both Navigon and TomTom and ended up choosing TomTom for everyday use. Seems better at re-routing based on traffic. NAVIGON felt like it would give me a route and thats it, only changing arrival times. Maybe it was just me...

SooneratND

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
I bought both Navigon and TomTom and ended up choosing TomTom for everyday use. Seems better at re-routing based on traffic. NAVIGON felt like it would give me a route and thats it, only changing arrival times. Maybe it was just me...

The default setting is to notify you on traffic, but wait for you to OK changing routes. There is a setting for automatically updating the route without your input though.

navajarunner

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2009
Assuming you're in the US, Co Pilot Live USA - $5. Is it the best? Not likely. But it gets me to where I need to be and that makes it just as good.

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm using Navigon. For $29.99, I could not have asked for a better App. I took a 150 mile trip with my family the other day, and Navigon got us there and back again with no wrong turns at all.

myphone

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
USA
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out if I should keep my iPhone 4, or go back to my Nexus One. (30 days = this weekend) The iPhone 4 has been great - but I truly miss the Google Navigation on my N1. I can probably live without the tethering for now as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good navigation app on the iPhone 4? I'm willing to spend a couple of bucks, but I don't want to shell out $45. I'm looking for something just like the Google Nav, that features full turn-by-turn.

Thanks,
Ace

I'm using MotionX GPS Drive. It works great on iPhone 4. For only $0.99 it's good deal.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Hi all,

Thanks,
Ace

If you intend to stick with your iPhone for a couple of years, suck it up and buy a proper Nav app - either Navigon or TomTom. Honestly, they are worth the money over the free google nav - they are head and shoulders better. If I were to own an Android device, I'd gladly pay for one of these apps, were they available - they are that much better.

smeg36

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Another vote for CoPilot. It's only $5. I've used the TomTom app, and CoPilot works every bit as good for me.

craziplaya21

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2008
The default setting is to notify you on traffic, but wait for you to OK changing routes. There is a setting for automatically updating the route without your input though.

How can I change the reroute setting? I can't seem to find it anywhere

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
If you intend to stick with your iPhone for a couple of years, suck it up and buy a proper Nav app - either Navigon or TomTom. Honestly, they are worth the money over the free google nav - they are head and shoulders better. If I were to own an Android device, I'd gladly pay for one of these apps, were they available - they are that much better.

How are these apps better than Google navigation? I have no experience with these particular apps but I have a high end Garmin system and I find Google Navigation to be just as good. Google is definitely better when it comes to traffic info. Google voice instructions are better too. One thing Google does not have is lane assist.

mac mac mac

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2008
Bellevue, WA
I have Navigon and I'm really pleased with it. The UI and how often they update the app amazes me. The latest version, 1.6 includes the latest NAVTEQ map for free. I don't know if Tom Tom offers free map update, but I don't like their subscription based traffic update. Navigon is a one time charge.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
How are these apps better than Google navigation? I have no experience with these particular apps but I have a high end Garmin system and I find Google Navigation to be just as good. Google is definitely better when it comes to traffic info. Google voice instructions are better too. One thing Google does not have is lane assist.

I just found the graphics, voices, and UI to be very basic compared to the pay apps. I also found that on the Droid I've used, it takes much longer to get a gps lock.

wreckshop

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2008

Hell no its not better, and its not even close! The only advantage navigon has over google maps with navigation is that the maps are stored locally.

Google maps is deeply integrated into the operating system. You can launch it from a voice search by simply saying "navigate to ...." You can search something on the web and get directions and launch navigation from the web browser. You can even send directions from a laptop or desktop to a phone and launch the navigator automatically!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.